Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Storage that I could Samba (or unencrypted) network drive to my server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Storage that I could Samba (or unencrypted) network drive to my server?

sgno1sgno1 Member
edited May 2021 in Requests

Hi there,

Is there any cheap storage solutions around that allows me to connect to one of my main servers through a network-drive, the main usage would be for backup/content that is constantly being pushed back and forth from the server. I'm looking for something within EU with 20-30 TB worth of space (not for Chia mining). Would need the server to have 1 GB/ps with an Unlm. Bandwidth since I would constantly be fetching/pushing data to it.

Comments

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2021

Please check our backup plans:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.html
    and use this promo to get discount: LET20%
    The biggest plan is 10 TB. You can order 2-3 if you need that storage.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

We can do 20 TB storage in AMS with 1 Gbps unmetered for $90/mo. No FUP so you can pull/push as much bandwidth as you need to.

Thanked by 3fragpic sgno1 Daniel15
  • edited May 2021

@sgno1 said:
    that I could Samba (or unencrypted) network drive to my server

Running an unprotected network share is very much not recommended, though Samba works just fine through WireGuard or OpenVPN so any provider that offers the space+bandwidth+IO you need should be suitable if you are happy setting that up.

SMB shares can be quite latency sensitive in my experience so if good performance is key (particularly with many small files) you might want a host geographically close to you and/or chose a different method.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited May 2021

@NetDynamics24 said:

Recurring? And what type of disk speeds? Any port/bandwidth caps? I need decent disk speeds since I will constantly be reading data and passing it back and forth from the drive.

• You may want to look into Carbonite. It has back up solutions for 1 or multiple systems.

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@sgno1 said:

@NetDynamics24 said:

Recurring? And what type of disk speeds? Any port/bandwidth caps? I need decent disk speeds since I will constantly be reading data and passing it back and forth from the drive.

Recurring lifetime yes.
    Please contact us to give you a trial account to test it.

• fendixfendix Member

20 TB - 80,92€ without VAT. @php-friends.de

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

I'd recommend NFS instead of Samba, and definitely don't expose NFS or Samba to the public internet (use a VPN like WireGuard)