Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers that support open source research projects
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers that support open source research projects

Hello,
I’m a kernel researcher working on the Linux project. Are there any providers that y’all know of who support/sponsor this. I’m a Masters student at the moment and keeping up with cloud costs makes repaying student loan debts hard at the moment. Any leads would be appreciated, and would benefit the kernel project.

Thanks

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

digital ocean, hetzner cloud

• deankdeank Member, Troll

You are going to need to contact hosts on your own.
    Be prepared to provide documents supporting your claim.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Can you explain a bit more about what you are doing/wanting to do?
    What kind of hardware/specs are you looking for?

Regards
    Sebastian

• The best way to get a sponsor in an open-source project is via open-sourcing the product first. Have some users with an active community in discord, telegram, or subreddit. Once the product is few months old and there are some users, doesn't have to be big, you will likely get sponsors from reputable providers if you contact them.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Check the GitHub Student Pack, there is few free credits for cloud providers.

If your project is serious and you have proof of it, more if you have also a non profit official status, you can get some freebies in serveral places. Also some providers like SpectraIp can make competitive offers on good stuffs. I run a non profit org in gaming and had to deal with sponsors since 10y. There is always someone ready to help when you have enough data to proof it's really serving something that is not personnal.

Good luck!

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited April 2021

Browser testing of NDNts project is sponsored by SauceLabs.

I applied when the project was only 2 months old and had no users.

All they asked is

• a small link to their website in my README
    • if I use SauceLabs for automated testing, blog posts describing my technique or experience (this hasn't happened because I only used manual testing so far)
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2021

@selfhosted said: I’m a Masters student at the moment and keeping up with cloud costs makes repaying student loan debts hard at the moment

Your university should provide you with VMs, especially if you study IT.

Also since when do you repay student loans while still at university? Is that an American thing?

Thanked by 2yoursunny tetech
  • tetechtetech Member

@William said:

@selfhosted said: I’m a Masters student at the moment and keeping up with cloud costs makes repaying student loan debts hard at the moment

Your university should provide you with VMs, especially if you study IT.

Also since when do you repay student loans while still at university? Is that an American thing?

Exactly. Which crappy school is this not resourcing its own research programs? University of Minnesota?

Thanked by 1notarobo
  • @selfhosted said: I’m a kernel researcher working on the Linux project.

Any proofs? I don't think that somebody working on the Linux project would ask it because almost all big corporations sponsor enough computing power.

You need to ask your mentor or who is taking care of your involvement, they might get anything for your research.

Otherwise, this looks indeed fishy.

• spunspun Member

In the US as long as you are at least a half-time student, you don't have to pay back loans. You might want to take a class or so more per semester if you're paying right now and still a student.