Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

alexhost is currently unstable - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

alexhost is currently unstable

2»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@William said: i simply acquired a bigger botnet and ruined the competition that caused it.

I stand by my comment calling you a mercenary years ago :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2021

well, no, because that would imply a 3rd party paying me for it - In this case i was simply cornered and considering i ran an ISP solely for crime it made really no difference if i get the owner of JustHost 10 years jail for supporting a Russian insurgency in Ukraine or just give up.

I gave up under other legal pressure anyway - you don't win against the Turkish gov - but in crime its Eye for Eye, and at least you have to send a FUCK U message.

Statute of limitations slowly expires on most of this things, so i can finally write them down ;)

Thanked by 1coelhofaminto
  • coelhofamintocoelhofaminto Member
    edited April 2021

that thread ended up being much more interesting than I expected haha

war is the result of ignorance.

if you have two sides with army enough to stand a fight, no matter who wins, if a war starts both already lost more than any other agreement they could arrange.

but that is an ideal perspective and we know how the world doesn't use to follow ideal ways.

Thanked by 2AXYZE Hassan
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

@William is quite right. Back in the days, if an attack was done, ISPs would fight back. There were collaborations between ISPs for moments when such hate would come up. There were even hackers with many compromised machines, ready to initiate an attack from multiple sources, with just a command given on IRC, when someone requested.

Now the world is much calmer. Many no longer know how to fight. It's nice though, because they take their anger and frustrations into video games, and unload there. But on the other hand, evil things can happen (like what happens in this case) and providers go into panic mode, because the law, and big corporations, will not protect a small fish under attack (unless he pays really well).

• ernie88ernie88 Member

Uptime of my VPS at Alexhost during April.

• WilliamWilliam Member

I get to around 98%. For 99cent/Mo pretty happy.

I'll do some colo with them next month also, we'll see.

• Alexhost seems to be ok now. at least I have noticed things working again.

I ran a benchmark on that vps just to see what would come out, never really ran benchmark before...

-------------------------------------------------
     nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2021-05-04 21:02:12 UTC

Processor:    Common KVM processor
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    2099.998 MHz
    RAM:          7.8Gi
    Swap:         2.0Gi
    Kernel:       Linux 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64

Disks:
    vda     80G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        5.090 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        9.454 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        7.460 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 196.6 us / 449.5 us / 9.65 ms / 370.3 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 4.98 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.22 GiB, 996 iops, 249.1 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    494.00 MiB/s
        2nd run:    385.28 MiB/s
        3rd run:    545.50 MiB/s
        average:    474.93 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    [EDITED]

Cachefly CDN:         9.35 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        9.03 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   6.43 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      8.70 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         7.93 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

I guess you guys know better than me...

• and btw, I was wrong about the war... war is inevitable... war is just another name for conflict between humans...

the only thing we can do is try to get the best out of it and minimize the damages

@William was right

• EddingEdding Member

Do they have 100mbit or gbit connection ? ive seen people poted gbit speed despite website saying 100mbit connection

• JoeFJoeF Member

@coelhofaminto said:
    Alexhost seems to be ok now. at least I have noticed things working again.

I ran a benchmark on that vps just to see what would come out, never really ran benchmark before...

nench.sh v2019.07.20 -- https://git.io/nench.sh
     benchmark timestamp:    2021-05-04 21:02:12 UTC

Processor:    Common KVM processor
    CPU cores:    4
    Frequency:    2099.998 MHz
    RAM:          7.8Gi
    Swap:         2.0Gi
    Kernel:       Linux 5.4.0-66-generic x86_64

Disks:
    vda     80G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        5.090 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        9.454 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        7.460 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 196.6 us / 449.5 us / 9.65 ms / 370.3 us
    ioping: sequential read speed
        generated 4.98 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.22 GiB, 996 iops, 249.1 MiB/s

dd: sequential write speed
        1st run:    494.00 MiB/s
        2nd run:    385.28 MiB/s
        3rd run:    545.50 MiB/s
        average:    474.93 MiB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    [EDITED]

Cachefly CDN:         9.35 MiB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        9.03 MiB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   6.43 MiB/s
        Online.net (FR):      8.70 MiB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         7.93 MiB/s

No IPv6 connectivity detected

I guess you guys know better than me...

Stable but still going via Moscow.

• edited May 2021

@William said:
    it made really no difference if i get the owner of JustHost 10 years jail for supporting a Russian insurgency in Ukraine

Were you really able to frame the owner of JustHost resulting in 10 years of jail for "supporting Russian Insurgency"?

Please tell this story. People should never mess with you.

I'm a fan of AlexHost (Moldova) as well. If a couple people wanted to chip-in to hire you @William to "resolve" their issue with the terrorist, how much do you charge just to try?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited May 2021

@Offshore_Solutions - Be careful what you wish for, @William is...

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • @default said:
    @Offshore_Solutions - Be careful what you wish for, @William is...

HAHA! I'm a believer

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Offshore_Solutions said: Were you really able to frame the owner of JustHost resulting in 10 years of jail for "supporting Russian Insurgency"?

No, thats the maximum penalty, obviously he got nothing (i also deliberately do not state the Domain, there is much JustHost in Eastern europe), but at least caused enough stress to settle issues.

• I live in a town where they film tons of shows and movies. If I ever run into a producer willing to hear some of my movie ideas, I'm pitching him a version of John Wick that goes after a group that did ransomware on hospitals. I think Quentin Tarantino could do it really well in the style of Inglourious Basterds.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Offshore_Solutions said: If a couple people wanted to chip-in to hire you @William to "resolve" their issue with the terrorist, how much do you charge just to try?

Not much interesting unless it is causing myself issues, the risk:reward calculation does not really work out well.

But in a general sense on the ultimate end - for 7 digits i get him designated a terrorist and taken care of :)

• @William said:
    But in a general sense on the ultimate end - for 7 digits i get him designated a terrorist and taken care of :)

Thank you 😊

• @TimboJones said:
    I live in a town where they film tons of shows and movies. If I ever run into a producer willing to hear some of my movie ideas, I'm pitching him a version of John Wick that goes after a group that did ransomware on hospitals. I think Quentin Tarantino could do it really well in the style of Inglourious Basterds.

I'd watch that. Personally, I'd prefer it in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels format.

Thanked by 1William
  • @dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:
    I live in a town where they film tons of shows and movies. If I ever run into a producer willing to hear some of my movie ideas, I'm pitching him a version of John Wick that goes after a group that did ransomware on hospitals. I think Quentin Tarantino could do it really well in the style of Inglourious Basterds.

I'd watch that. Personally, I'd prefer it in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels format.

Guy Ritchie film, right? I don't speak that "English". Would need subtitles.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • _MS__MS_ Member
    edited May 2021

Ransomware criminals deserve Jigsaw, not Guy Ritchie/Quentin Tarantino.