Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo Singapore VDS and VPS benchmark & review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo Singapore VDS and VPS benchmark & review

2»

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 2021

@skorupion said:

@jsg said: As I've already indicated, @contabo_m kindly provided me with pre-launch access to both a Singapore VPS and a VDS.

Are you a band ambassador? Or how do you get to do things like this?

If I were a brand ambassador for anyone, it would be for NexusBytes / @seriesn (and one can find some not so nice spots in my reviews on them anyway) and as long as NB stay the way they are I'll be a happy and not at all secret member of the NB family.
    That said, yes, I've come to like Contabo / @contabo_m quite a bit. One major reason being that they, just like NB, not only accept my reviews (are not p_ssed off) but even make use of them and try to improve not so nice spots in their product, networking, etc.

Everyone can brag and run a loud mouth and/or flashing marketing or even ad spam - but only the really good providers are looking for their weak spots and listening to (polite and constructive) criticism.
    And btw I LOVE the fact that Contabo already improved some routes based on my feedback. What more can we ask for at LET than being listened too and providers appreciating the discourse with us? At the end of the day everybody profits.

@stevewatson301 said:
    @jsg can you please release the sources for the benchmark program? People would be able to run comparisons between various systems and have a better understanding of things that way.

Sorry, no. And I've already explained the reasons multiple times. But I'm adding one more now: I had certain LET members ridicule my work, my software, and me and even smearing me - while I was asked by not only one or two providers to benchmark them either publicly or internally. And those a__holes usually got some 'thanks' clicks too from other smarta__es.
    And now when it's publicly known and confirmed that indeed some top providers value my benchmark and ask me to benchmark them and/or even give me early access to use my testing as a pre-launch "safety fuse" (I guess) I get asked for the source code? Nope, Nyet, Nein.
    But I can tell you that I have invested more work into my result compiler alone than most benchmarks did in their main software. Both, the benchmark software and the result compiler have been written in a compiled language btw. and offer features far beyond other "benchmarks".
    Thank you for your interest.

Thanked by 2seriesn skorupion
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 2021

@jsg said:

If I were a brand ambassador for anyone, it would be for NexusBytes / @seriesn (and one can find some not so nice spots in my reviews on them anyway) and as long as NB stay the way they are I'll be a happy and not at all secret member of the NB family.

One thing I admire the most about NexusBytes / @seriesn and BuyVM @Francisco, is that no fancy sales thing ... price is always fixed, quality is top notch and transparency.

Whether one is a $4 vps customer or $48 vps customer, the support is always excellent

Big shout out to them

Thanked by 3jsg seriesn hanoi
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited April 2021

@dev_vps said:

@jsg said:

One thing I admire the most about NexusBytes / @seriesn and BuyVM @Francisco, is that no fancy sales thing ... price is always fixed, quality is top notch and transparency.

Whether one is a $4 vps customer or $48 vps customer, the support is always excellent

Big shout out to them

<3 Gotta keep things steady and healthy man. Else math becomes too rough.

@jsg thank you for the support boss <3

@Zerpy said:

@jsg said: But it's not just the "evil" Chinese but others too, e.g. Korea Telecom just basically not giving a damn about (not) peering with some of the global top 5 carriers

Which are the global top 5 carriers that do not appear in the following list?:
    HE, Cogent, Level3, Sparkle, Telia, Zayo, GTT, NTT, TATA

KT peers with them.

I'm happy to inform you that an engineer from [very major top 10 carrier] who I've been told happens to also follow me (wow! What a compliment, thank you, dear colleague) is now working with Korea Telecom to significantly enhance the connectivity.

I guess that professional who actually works for one the Top-10 (in fact top-5 if I'm not mistaken) carriers knows the situation better than you and those 2 carriers don't work to improve the situation for the fun of it but because it's urgently needed. But thanks anyway for trying ...

@contabo_m said:
    @jsg Thanks a lot for your review, we really appreciate the work you put in there!

@jsg said: Being at that: Are you insane, Contabo management, to offer a 4 vCPU, 8 GB mem. 200 GB seriously fast SSD VPS for €5 (+VAT if applicable) in Singapore? Obviously the answer is "yes, they have gone gaga at Contabo" ... and I LOVE it!

Well, we will make sure to double check the sanity of our management team, but please note that there is a €2.5 Location Fee on top of these €5 as bandwidth and other operating costs in Singapore are way higher.

NO! Please don't disturb the gone gaga Contabo management! I very much like the outcome.

More seriously, I'm very pleased to see the nice first results of Contabo throwing their weight into the Asian market. A whole country, a significant industrial nation at that, getting better international connectivity and (finally) better working together with a top-5 or top-10 global carrier to make it happen. Incredible. I for one declare my pleasure with Contabo (and that carrier) publicly and I have to admit that I'm pleased to see my prediction come true, but the 'Thank you!' goes to you. Thank you!

• nfnnfn Veteran

@contabo_m are we able to mount an iso?

• contabo_mcontabo_m Member, Patron Provider

@nfn said: @contabo_m are we able to mount an iso?

Yes, however not an Windows iso. We charge a small fee for that service though. Please contact support for more info if you wish to do that.

Thanked by 1nfn
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@contabo_m said:

@nfn said: @contabo_m are we able to mount an iso?

Yes, however not an Windows iso. We charge a small fee for that service though. Please contact support for more info if you wish to do that.

Just Linux, but are we able to do it on our own or we need to open a support ticket?

• contabo_mcontabo_m Member, Patron Provider

@nfn said: Just Linux, but are we able to do it on our own or we need to open a support ticket?

Please reach out to support to clarify the details.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

@jsg said: I'm happy to inform you that an engineer from [very major top 10 carrier] who I've been told happens to also follow me (wow! What a compliment, thank you, dear colleague) is now working with Korea Telecom to significantly enhance the connectivity.

I guess that professional who actually works for one the Top-10 (in fact top-5 if I'm not mistaken) carriers knows the situation better than you and those 2 carriers don't work to improve the situation for the fun of it but because it's urgently needed. But thanks anyway for trying ...

Happy to inform you that interconnections between are ASes / companies are public knowledge, and actually taking this information from the global routing table carries more weight than "some person said".

Thanked by 2Zerpy hanoi
  • ZerpyZerpy Member

@jsg said: I'm happy to inform you that an engineer from [very major top 10 carrier] who I've been told happens to also follow me (wow! What a compliment, thank you, dear colleague) is now working with Korea Telecom to significantly enhance the connectivity.

KT peer with the list above, regardless of how you put it.

Nothing special in knowing someone who works at a top 10 carrier. We all know someone who does or did. I've also worked at a T1 (In the above list). Nothing special to be honest. Just a job like anything else on this planet.

Thanked by 1hanoi

@FHR said:
    Happy to inform you that interconnections between are ASes / companies are public knowledge, and actually taking this information from the global routing table carries more weight than "some person said".

Oh, I see. And those interconnections just fall from trees ...

@Zerpy said:
    KT peer with the list above, regardless of how you put it.

Nothing special in knowing someone who works at a top 10 carrier. We all know someone who does or did. I've also worked at a T1 (In the above list). Nothing special to be honest. Just a job like anything else on this planet.

And of course they all, incl. the cleaning lady, have write access to the routing tables...

Sorry, but if you ever were near such a job you wouldn't repeatedly tell us the T1 list that everyone can look up at e.g. bgp.he.net. You would know that "KT has carriers A, B, C" in their list means next to nothing. It can for instance mean an insane latency between SGP and Korea and a rather poor bandwidth.

I don't get some of you here. There's a provider who listens to his customers and looks a benchmarks results and there's a T1 carrier engineer who's working on providing us with a significantly better route ... and some of you seem to not welcome that.

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@jsg said:
    And of course they all, incl. the cleaning lady, have write access to the routing tables...

Not that I'm a cleaning lady, but yes, I had full access to all routers in the network.

Sorry, but if you ever were near such a job you wouldn't repeatedly tell us the T1 list that everyone can look up at e.g. bgp.he.net. You would know that "KT has carriers A, B, C" in their list means next to nothing. It can for instance mean an insane latency between SGP and Korea and a rather poor bandwidth.

I was simply pointing out they're peering, while you said they were not. It's a simple correction; You can obviously ignore it.

I don't get some of you here. There's a provider who listens to his customers and looks a benchmarks results and there's a T1 carrier engineer who's working on providing us with a significantly better route ... and some of you seem to not welcome that.

We're not saying we don't like it, we're just pointing out you're wrong. It's great if KT is (supposedly) improving things.

I hope you'll feel better one day.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Zerpy said: I hope you'll feel better one day.

She won't.

Thanked by 2notarobo TimboJones

@Zerpy

This wasn't about having a carrier in a list but about good routes and about improving routes.

And thank you, I'm fine

@Lee said:

@Zerpy said: I hope you'll feel better one day.

She won't.

Weren't you the smarta__ who LOLed about me when I wrote that I'm occasionally asked for my benchmarks/to run them by providers to look for things to improve? Well, reality (and a major provider) proved you wrong - again.