Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making a cloud workstation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Making a cloud workstation

denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

Hello everyone,
Currently I have a 3 core 4.5 gb ram with ~80gb ssd KVM
I am looking to not have my home PC on all the time, and use this instead.

Current applications I run :
Web Browser
PhpStorm
RamBox
NoMachine (thanks fellow LET'ers)

I was using ZorinOS, but ran into some issues with graphics drivers (i think), it would crash anytime i loaded up the system settings.

So, now that that's all out of the way, what workstation environment would you recommend I try out that will suit my needs?

~v/r
denellum

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@dustinc I have a 3c 3GB RAM 50 GB NVMe for like 30 bucks a year including 24 % tax he might help you

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

@skorupion said:
    @dustinc I have a 3c 3GB RAM 50 GB NVMe for like 30 bucks a year including 24 % tax he might help you

well i have the server already and its from Racknerd :)
    I am just having an issue with finding a distro that is a workstation distro that works, heres the issues with the latest one :

https://i.imgur.com/lpIZJbf.gif

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

That looks like latency and in general the issues with transfering realtime video over (even a) moderate latency link. That's not the distros fault.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

This would difinately work.

My macbook air does not allow me to run webpack builds smoothly, so I use a home virtual server to setup the dev environment and the experience is unexpectedly smooth. And I've moved all my projects to this kind of setup, one project one virtual machine, no more local context switching, no more disrupted workflow. I either use vscode with ssh remote or just neovim on the remote machine.

However, I don't think it's a good idea to forward graphics... If you can find a way to utilize remote processing power but still render things locally, do it, especially for text/code editing.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

If you use linux locally, you can forward X applications too!

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

Ended up being the display driver used solusvm. The host swapped it out and got me hooked up!

the resolution:
    Our VM's are running in default KVM Video Driver and it works with most of the distibutions. Seems the ISO's you mentioned here requires additional drivers. So I enabled the VGA driver for your VM and disabled the 2D and 3D accelerating and the VM is displaying the system settings now.