Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Work-around to Defeat Ad-Blocker, Static Picture Ads?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Work-around to Defeat Ad-Blocker, Static Picture Ads?

edited April 2021 in General

If Ad-Blocker is hiding the banner ads on your
website, how do we counteract Ad-Blocker? I'm wondering if there's a work-around to beat Ad-Blocker?

Maybe just have the ad banner be a static picture and not a link? Since most these days seem to be running an Ad-Blocker, perhaps a static picture ad banner would generate more exposure than a link that gets hidden?

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2021

Adblocker plus has had a feature enabled by default called Acceptable ads. To qualify an ad needs to be either on the side of the screen or on the bottom, and ads between the text in an article will be deleted. In addition, they need to be recognizable and marked as AD.
    Here is the documentation in adblocker plus https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#criteria

• You can't, stop trying. You already have the most annoying ad in your signature.

• FalzoFalzo Member

yeah, forcing ads upon people that try to block them actively is the next best idea to increase traffic to your page or especially if you want to grow a forum/community.
    best of luck.

• @skorupion said:
    Adblocker plus has had a feature enabled by default called Acceptable ads. To qualify an ad needs to be either on the side of the screen or on the bottom, and ads between the text in an article will be deleted. In addition, they need to be recognizable and marked as AD.
    Here is the documentation in adblocker plus https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#criteria

Thank you 😊

• @Falzo said:
    yeah, forcing ads upon people that try to block them actively is the next best idea to increase traffic to your page or especially if you want to grow a forum/community.
    best of luck.

Would you find static picture ads annoying also?

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited April 2021

@Falzo said:
    best of luck.

As John. Seems to be working very well for him.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@Falzo said:
    best of luck.

Would you find static picture ads annoying also?

make an educated guess 🤷‍♂️

it doesn't matter what sort of advertisement it is. I use an ad-blocker for a reason...

don't get me wrong, I don't care if, what or how many ads you put on your site. I have a blocker in place, that hopefully cleans it up for me. and I might not even recognize what's been there before and happily continue browsing.

on the other hand if it does not get blocked for whatever reason chance are high, that I simply close the tab and go elsewhere. easy as that.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@seriesn said:

@Falzo said:
    best of luck.

which ads?

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • @Falzo said:

@seriesn said:

@Falzo said:
    best of luck.

which ads?

😂 Did you filter our the rest too? Neat.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • No ads for me either ..... :)

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited April 2021

Hostsailor/Crossbox ones are beginning to piss me off; might need to switch back to adblock+, from ghostery. :(

[Edit: got two of the eye distractions. Mailbaby/Serverhub lead the way, in terms of animations.]

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2021

@seriesn said: Did you filter our the rest too? Neat.

with ublock origin it's picking the right DIV and adding it to the filters. one line. if you do css a lot that's a piece of cake. and if it wouldn't be like that I might have left here already or it would at least be easier to let go of this place...

I wouldn't click on any of these ads anyway, so nothing lost for Jon or anyone else. I am not the kind of client who is to be attracted with that. no need to spent money on colored fanciness in my face at all.
    BUT that's just me - probably might work better for others.

TL;DR; instead rather make me a verry cheap special offer and I am all yours - hint: AMS (yeah, I did it again :tongue:) $16 year came close already, but you didn't cry yet, so still room...

Thanked by 1seriesn