Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for uncensored VPS outside Eyes Survlance Nations - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for uncensored VPS outside Eyes Survlance Nations

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2021

@jsg said:

@jar said:
    Their attack on Telegram was pretty bad. So was ours on Lavabit, but neither cancels the other out.

I don't think so, I think it was stupid and stupidly done - but the russian government was actually right. Telegram was supporting diverse activities that are illegal in Russia. In particular it was known that many terrorist cells and ISIS used (and probably still use) Telegram to plan and coordinate terrorist attacks. NO government would tolerate that and rightly so.

a) would you go to Pravda to get information on the USA? Going to Wikipedia for information about Russia is just as nonsensical.

b) I book that whole Yarovaya thing quite differently: The Russians do it in a proper legal way, while the western countries do it covertly.
    Just 2 examples:
    The german "CIA" (BND) eavesdropped on communications of german citizens and companies for years, which of course was illegal. Their explanation: It wasn't on german soil.
    And recently when the LEAs proudly cracked an organized crime ring they played it via the french LEA/intelligence services to circumvent german laws (in many european countries there are no "forbidden fruit" laws) - in other words, they behaved exactly like criminals.

It's just the old "if we do it it's good, but if the evil [insert current enemy] do it, then we condemn it as sinister and evil" game. Frankly, I prefer the overt version.

Do you want your agent to think about the potential punishment of being caught and therefore having to take the fall for it, or do you want your agent to know they’re protected by the law while doing it? You might think those are functionally equivalent, but I don’t.

Source doesn’t matter unless it contradicts the text of the law. It doesn’t. It’s state mandated data retention and state mandated backdoor into encrypted communications. If you don’t see that as significant, I’d have to question my original conclusions that you were being objective on these topics before.

I don’t give mine a pass for anything either, I’m sure as hell not starting my “free pass” career with someone else’s. If you can’t criticize them for this, you’ve blown your cover, meaning you can’t criticize them at all. Blink twice if you need help escaping. I’ve got a couch you’re welcome to.

I’ve never been for this whole growing anti Russia sentiment but credit for bad decisions where it’s due, regardless of the border. That law earns every bit of its criticism and more.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur TimboJones
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:
    Until someone speaks ill of Putin and you get yeeted.

I'll never forget the time a Russian datacenter I used a while back (not cheap, extremely hard to actually make U.S. payments to) demanded full access to my server data or the servers would be taken down.

• @jsg said:
    I respectfully disagree. Russia is not what and how Americans think it is ...
    And there is plenty proof of that. To name just one example: pussy riot, who were as rabidly anti-Putin as one can be ... without any consequences. They even still got state subsidies for "art".

Exactly. They "danced" in the church (consider the "dance" here as something similar to the SJW "culture" actions you've seen on twitter) and pitch-invaded during the 2018 FIFA World Cup, in front of several head of the participating countries.

The major reason why I hesitate to recommend Russia for hosting "free speech" content is the simple fact that it's normal in Russia (and often expected) to provide your real name

Are you sure you are not getting this confused with registering a .RU domain?
    That's where the requirement to provide ID was introduced few years ago, but it still works pretty weirdly - there are many domains, where you can easily see that documents weren't provided.

As for the hosters I do not recall people complaining about that. However, I never looked for such info either.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jar said:
    Do you want your agent to think about the potential punishment of being caught and therefore having to take the fall for it, or do you want your agent to know they’re protected by the law while doing it? You might think those are functionally equivalent, but I don’t.

Source doesn’t matter unless it contradicts the text of the law. It doesn’t. It’s state mandated data retention and state mandated backdoor into encrypted communications. If you don’t see that as significant, I’d have to wonder if I was wrong when I laughed at everyone for accusing you of shilling for that government.

I don’t give mine a pass for anything either, I’m sure as hell not starting my “free pass” career with someone else’s. If you can’t criticize them for this, you’ve blown your cover. Blink twice if you need help escaping. I’ve got a couch you’re welcome to.

That's not the context, because this is not an ideal world. In this world governments want to have access to all, incl. private, communication and they get it, one way or another, period. Given that reality I prefer the overt version.
    Also in an overt game (like the Russian law you dislike) there are some barriers and they can't just get willy-nilly at everyone's and anyone's communication. In a covert game, however ... well ...

Plus, I'm not a politician but an IT engineer, so that field is where I'm looking for a solution. Like for example the fact that they can't really digest all data (yes, I know, they really tried and will continue to try).

Plus, don't forget: almost all of us live in democracies, so we are responsible, too. The thugs who talk nice but actually sh_t on our rights are thugs we (well, the majority of us) voted into power.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jsg said: I respectfully disagree. Russia is not what and how Americans think it is. One can criticize Putin and even smear him (albeit with very little success).

Pussy Riot is so well known that them suddenly getting disappeared KGB style would be quite obvious.

For a while there I had dozens of IP's hard nullrouted at RU ISP's edges because the federal govt kept sending me notices demanding details about users on those IP addresses. They kept demanding, sent all these legal threats, with punishment being 'blackholes if we do not comply'.

I don't talk outta my ass on this stuff. I get plenty of run ins because of our policies.

Francisco

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited April 2021

@jar said:
    Their attack on Telegram was pretty bad.

Jarland, with all due respect, it was rather stupid, first of all.
    The best analogy is old guys from I do not remember where (Senate? Congress?) asking zuckerberg about text messaging (sending SMS) or emailing on facebook, when he was asked to testify.
    I do not recall the exact details, but I mean people, who aren't very good in understanding what they deal with.

Note that I'm not comparing Durov with Zuckerberg. They are very different people.

So was ours on Lavabit, but neither cancels the other out. This is kinda bad though: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarovaya_law

The major reason for this is money.
    Mobile operators estimated their expenses for this law to be approx. $650 000 000.
    And there are few of them in the country.

By the way, this law is already being postponed for a year and recently there was an open letter to postpone it further for altering:
    http://aoc.ural.ru/action/news/news-997.html

People want to pass that in the US but it’s actually in play there.

Yes, some of the Yarovaya law advocates were mentioning it could be of use to have something like PRISM:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)
    https://www.theverge.com/2013/7/17/4517480/nsa-spying-prism-surveillance-cheat-sheet

@Francisco said:

@jsg said: I respectfully disagree. Russia is not what and how Americans think it is. One can criticize Putin and even smear him (albeit with very little success).

Pussy Riot is so well known that them suddenly getting disappeared KGB style would be quite obvious.

So is navalny, yet, if the western innuendo is even 10% true, he shouldn't have been novichocked nor put in the "gulag" ...
    (also see below)

For a while there I had dozens of IP's hard nullrouted at RU ISP's edges because the federal govt kept sending me notices demanding details about users on those IP addresses. They kept demanding, sent all these legal threats, with punishment being 'blackholes if we do not comply'.

I don't talk outta my ass on this stuff. I get plenty of run ins because of our policies.

Ha ha, yep, that's how they tick. Putin even said it bluntly multiple times. If it's the law they'll go it all the way, no matter what. Now, one obviously can discuss whether this or that law makes sense, but generally speaking I like the russian basic line of "we act according to the laws, period!".

That said, I have a couple of servers there and never had the slightest problem.

But I understand that it may feel strange or restrictive to a US provider.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2021

Jarland, with all due respect, it was rather stupid, first of all. The best analogy is old guys from I do not remember where (Senate? Congress?) asking zuckerberg about text messaging (sending SMS) or emailing on facebook, when he was asked to testify.

With all due respect I don’t consider that remotely similar to demanding back doors in software followed by a scorched earth campaign blocking internet access to cloud providers nationally. I received those notices in mass quantity when they started that campaign.

As much as I’d like to come up with an equivalent US case perpetrated by government in recent times, I cannot. Fuck the US government, and I can list a million complaints, but I still can’t come up with an equivalent case.

• sandozsandoz Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@charliebrownau said:
    Gday

I am Looking for uncensored VPS outside Eyes Survlance Nations
    Regards
    Charliebrownau

I recommend http://AlexHost.com in Moldova.
    @AlexHost will save you money & Ignores-DMCA

I agree with that

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@sandoz said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@charliebrownau said:
    Gday

I am Looking for uncensored VPS outside Eyes Survlance Nations
    Regards
    Charliebrownau

I recommend http://AlexHost.com in Moldova.
    @AlexHost will save you money & Ignores-DMCA

I agree with that

@alexhost was never active here, and @alexhost1 and @alexhost2 were deservedly banned

(But yeah, no doubt they ignore DMCA)

• @jar said:

Jarland, with all due respect, it was rather stupid, first of all. The best analogy is old guys from I do not remember where (Senate? Congress?) asking zuckerberg about text messaging (sending SMS) or emailing on facebook, when he was asked to testify.

With all due respect I don’t consider that remotely similar to demanding back doors in software followed by a scorched earth campaign blocking internet access to cloud providers nationally. I received those notices in mass quantity when they started that campaign.

As much as I’d like to come up with an equivalent US case perpetrated by government in recent times, I cannot. Fuck the US government, and I can list a million complaints, but I still can’t come up with an equivalent case.

They dont need to ask for backdoors like russia as they already spy on all traffic and decrypt it in real time xD

• @stefeman said:

@jar said:

They dont need to ask for backdoors like russia as they already spy on all traffic and decrypt it in real time xD

Except they already have (asked for backdoors) because they can't decrypt everything in real time. Perhaps you missed the whole Apple unlocking phone thing after a mass gun shooting thing a few years back. Or even two decades ago when they wanted a special chip (Clipper) implemented in electronics. The main takeaway, is that they weren't passed.

Anyway, when they can't man in the middle decrypt something, they just go after the endpoints before/after the encryption.

• @jsg said:

@Francisco said:

So is navalny, yet, if the western innuendo is even 10% true, he shouldn't have been novichocked nor put in the "gulag" ...
    (also see below)

That's actually a sign of desperation. And it sounds like you are agreeing (finally) that he really was poisoned by Russian intelligence.

@TimboJones said:
    That's actually a sign of desperation.

You just turn it the way you want it.

And it sounds like you are agreeing (finally) that he really was poisoned by Russian intelligence.

Well, actually that whole fairy tale looks as if the payed troublemaker faction had been getting desperate.
    Simple reason: The Russians aren't stupid and if they really wanted that idiot dead they'd do it properly and successfully. And they would certainly not be stupid enough to hand him over to the Germans right after the failure to kill him.

But why should they? Navalny is a nobody in Russia. His party did not even reach the 5% mark in over 99% of all russian voting areas. And the nonsensical BS he is spreading is hardly noticed by Russians. To say that Putin wanted Navalny dead is like saying that I want one particular ant in the forrest dead.

You really should stop to get your "information" from CNN and BBC and similar propaganda outlets.