Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are things with OVH after the fire?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Have they got the services operating in the damaged data centres back to normal, or anywhere near normal?

Are the customers who got messed up much happier now?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

They are French. French tend to do well after burning things down.

So, yeah, business as usual for them. I've seen some billing issues with the credit they've given out but, then, they are French. They always have billing issues.

Thanked by 3WSWD bdl EmuAGR
  • They are planning new datacenter. Ofc with wooden flors.

• TomzTomz Member
    edited April 2021

I faced network issue (degradation) on gravelines location has most if not all been moved from strasbourg to that dc
    already canceled 3 server on gravelines
    i found hetzner network better , better peering and low latency compared to ovh.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @Tomz said:
    I faced network issue (degradation) on gravelines location has most if not all been moved from strasbourg to that dc
    already canceled 3 server on gravelines
    i found hetzner network better , better peering and low latency compared to ovh.

Probably the reason why all new EX and AX servers at hetzner is out of stock and has a long wait time. Even auction servers with decent CPUs are expensive.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2021

EU -> Asia networking is completely fucked ever since SBG incident. Randomly high pings and packet loss from EU users when anti-ddos is enabled since it usually forces EU clients to connect via OVH PoPs in EU that further routes the traffic inside OVH internal network all the way to Asia. Those seem to be completely overloaded at weekends.

They lost a lot of EU <-> Asia capacity at once.

Gravelines is also gone to shit due overloaded network since they moved much of the servers from SBG over.. Only RBX is still fine.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2021

I don’t know but I’ll say this. I’m eyeing them pretty hard right now for a project. It’s easy to say “they just had a fire and proved themselves incompetent” and that’s the usual reaction. But I’m thinking someone who just learned that expensive of a lesson is going to be more prepared for it tomorrow.

It’s hard to know who hasn’t dealt with problems like this because they made solid plans, or who hasn’t dealt with it simply because they haven’t been unlucky enough to yet. But you can be sure the latter will claim to be the former.

• pierrepierre Member
    edited April 2021

Quite fine actually, got backups on a separate Hetzner server. Lost 8 servers, ordered 8 new ones before the shortage of servers happened. Also got 6 months' credit on all of them so all money I'm pulling from them is profit/beer money. They're also having more precautions after on all services. They pulled Insurance money, and we're getting something new.

Can we get another fire? I want more free servers :smirk:

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • LeviLevi Member

Business as usual - good servers, decent DDoS protection and reasonable prices. People already forgot that fire.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@LTniger said:
    Business as usual - good servers, decent DDoS protection and reasonable prices. People already forgot that fire.

People still remember of this fire due to personal incompetence, as rule backup should be kept on different network/off-site and at least twice (if the data definitely important) not on the same server like some people do or relying on RAIDs!

• TejyTejy Member

When people choose OVH, they must keep in mind that they will never get helped.
    I found OVH prices much higher than the average (in EU), but it can be explained by DDOS protection which is so far from Hetzner for example.

• HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider

@jar said:
    I don’t know but I’ll say this. I’m eyeing them pretty hard right now for a project. It’s easy to say “they just had a fire and proved themselves incompetent” and that’s the usual reaction. But I’m thinking someone who just learned that expensive of a lesson is going to be more prepared for it tomorrow.

It’s hard to know who hasn’t dealt with problems like this because they made solid plans, or who hasn’t dealt with it simply because they haven’t been unlucky enough to yet. But you can be sure the latter will claim to be the former.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of their fire suppression or lack there of? If all of their data centers are built with the same setup I am not sure the lesson learned helps them out. You can't just install fire suppression after the fact with ease and speed. One would think having fire suppression is mandatory but I wonder if you can get around it in Europe by not having people working regularly within the space and perhaps that is why OVH hands-on support is known to be super slow....because no one is in the data center. Anyhow, this is all just conjecture on my part but I am curious.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited April 2021

Support still at OVH levels - no human response in almost a month, ticket autoclosed somehow (still active, Decline spammed). Week later re-created as different ticket number with copy-paste text and "Due to a technical error, your ticket was closed by mistake. I apologize for the inconvenience". Follow-up on ticket? Nope.

TL;DR; Nothing out of ordinary for OVH Support, still weeks to wait for human response :D

--
    Today got my "destroyed" VPS reinstalled from template (as in no data) and booted up
    OVH is now UP. Downtime: 5w 15 hr 49 min