Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Build a 1U
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Build a 1U

TGTTGT Member
edited April 2021 in Help

Hey everyone im trying to build a AMD Ryzen 3900X server for a 1U colocation.

I want it to have 64gb ram with NVMe storage and some sort of management connection.

Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get the hardware from and or what to use maybe some good vendors that wont rip me off.

Comments

• You understand how physics work right?

1A @ 110V it's 110W of power. Ryzen 3900X uses 120W+ under load.
    Even if you had 120W, you still need to power a whole lot of stuff and take into account that the PSU isn't 100% power efficient.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • TGTTGT Member

@vovler said:
    You understand how physics work right?

1A @ 110V it's 110W of power. Ryzen 3900X uses 120W+ under load.
    Even if you had 120W, you still need to power a whole lot of stuff and take into account that the PSU isn't 100% power efficient.

Can use more or less power im not a computer wiz. My power for the colo is 1a/110v though. I can purchase 2 amps 120v if need be. I just don't have a good connect for parts. I can test the unit once its build and just upgrade my colo from there.

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited April 2021

@TGT said: im not a computer wiz

TLDR: watts = amps x volts

At 2A 120V you max out at 240W.

You are usually not allowed to continuously draw more than 80% of your power maximum, so you can use about 192W.

A power supply 85% efficient (we're just ballparking here at this point) will prboably give you about 150-165W to work with.

A Ryzen apparently uses at least 105-120W. Pick another CPU. Google says "The Ryzen 9 3900X pulls 142W at stock settings, and that increases to 168W when we .."

RAM: "you want to allocate around 3 watts of power for every 8GB of DDR3 or DDR4 memory"

We're not even including the like.. 4-8 fans you're probably going to have.

What are you actually planning on using this for?

• TGTTGT Member
    edited April 2021

@aiden1 said:

@TGT said: im not a computer wiz

TLDR: watts = amps x volts

At 2A 120V you max out at 240W.

You are usually not allowed to continuously draw more than 80% of your power maximum, so you can use about 192W.

A power supply 85% efficient (we're just ballparking here at this point) will prboably give you about 150-165W to work with.

A Ryzen uses 105-120W. Pick another CPU.

RAM: "you want to allocate around 3 watts of power for every 8GB of DDR3 or DDR4 memory"

We're not even including the like.. 4-8 fans you're probably going to have.

So I'm looking at about 350 watts to be safe with a Ryzen and 64gb ram 2tb and a small NVMe thanks for the info. Now I just need to find a vendor for parts.

• aiden1aiden1 Member
    edited April 2021

The rotational drive can add another 25W maybe(?) depending on how often it spins up or your usage patterns.

NVME/SSDs are negligible in comparison but depends massively on the type you use. Some produce tons of heat also.

• TGTTGT Member

@aiden1 said:
    The rotational drive can add another 25-40W. NVME/SSDs are negligible in comparison but depends massively on the type you use.

Going to be using the 2tb for some file storage and probably play a few games while im at it. I have a surface pro with 128gb of storage so need RDP to play some games and move some stuff over from my surface pro for storage.

• What kind of wattage are you getting a GPU for then? Usually another 200-300W.

• FalzoFalzo Member

a conventional harddrive does not draw 25watts you are exaggerating here. 6-8W, maybe 10W but usually less.

apart from that minor detail the power you buy in colocation afaik is not a hard limit but some kind of average/mix calc.
    I think some providers have your server run specific tasks like booting, idle and full throttle on a teststand before racking to calculate on the usage, but I think there are much more experienced people around here to clarify how this usually works.

in general I would be much more worried about cooling. 1U really is not much and cooling away 105W thermal energy in that small space will be the much bigger problem IMHO.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • TGTTGT Member

@Falzo said:
    a conventional harddrive does not draw 25watts you are exaggerating here. 6-8W, maybe 10W but usually less.

apart from that minor detail the power you buy in colocation afaik is not a hard limit but some kind of average/mix calc.
    I think some providers have your server run specific tasks like booting, idle and full throttle on a teststand before racking to calculate on the usage, but I think there are much more experienced people around here to clarify how this usually works.

in general I would be much more worried about cooling. 1U really is not much and cooling away 105W thermal energy in that small space will be the much bigger problem IMHO.

If I go up to 2U I might need to find a new provider the provider I have chosen the price is only good for me with 1U the 2U price jumps another $30 bucks a month.

Can anyone refer me to someone who can build the server for me?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TGT said:

Thinkmate has the best website for configuring a server.
    Their prices are higher than competitors though.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@TGT said:

@Falzo said:

If I go up to 2U I might need to find a new provider the provider I have chosen the price is only good for me with 1U the 2U price jumps another $30 bucks a month.

GoPCN has exactly what you need: http://gopcn.com/c-1165853-1u-servers-1u-amd-ryzen-epyc-server.html
    Dave is great to work with too.

• TGTTGT Member

@yoursunny said:

@TGT said:

Thinkmate has the best website for configuring a server.
    Their prices are higher than competitors though.

@NDTN said:

@TGT said:

@Falzo said:

GoPCN has exactly what you need: http://gopcn.com/c-1165853-1u-servers-1u-amd-ryzen-epyc-server.html
    Dave is great to work with too.

Thank you both.

• bbn12bbn12 Member
    edited April 2021

3900X does generate quite some heat @ 120W+. I have 3900X in my desktop and it utilizes super big air cooler - SILENTIUMPC Grandis 3. Won't fit even 2U case, probably 4U only. What I am saying is that make sure you order 1U case that will be able to cool your 3900X. PSUs are not 100% efficient.... probably 80-85% depending how good one you are getting.

I have built many 1U and 2U systems.... but at the end now, I am buying HP DL G10 series brand new servers through grey-resellers. Not official dealers, but so far 100% shipped to me from HP directly. Then I just register and get < 3 year warranty from HP. You get a few months less warranty because it somehow starts when it was manufactured, I believe, not when it was sold. You get full 3 years if you buy from real authorized dealer...but so is the price...

I've also bought some gems... like DL360 series with Xeon 6230 CPU (6230 CPU cost 2k+.....) for 2.1k USD brand new... with installed 32GB RAM..... .... 3 year on-site warranty. The exact model was: P19778-B21

Funny that at work, we have bought Dell's (with "super-discounts") with 42XX CPUs for 8k+ depending on ram/hdd/ssds.