Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best place to buy Windows Server 2016/2019 license with 10-15 CALS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best place to buy Windows Server 2016/2019 license with 10-15 CALS?

I am looking for a place to buy a Windows Server 2016/2019 license with at least 10-15 User RDP CALS. Never needed one because the local server I am using currently for that project, the windows server license came with it. I use that server to host our MIS software which is used by only our employees only. 8-10 users connect to this server using RDP, how many user CALS will I be needing? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AswinAswin Member, Host Rep

try from here https://windowsvps.host/

• You will need two things: a user-cal and a rds-cal for every user accessing your server. I don't know in which country you're located at. But I recommend to contact a local authorized dealer for microsoft products.

For some orientation. For Windows Server 2016/2019 + 20 user (cal + rds) oem license you can expect offerings around 3,5k euro. Offerings which are well below that price can be considered as scam.

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • @royal_oak said:
    You will need two things: a user-cal and a rds-cal for every user accessing your server. I don't know in which country you're located at. But I recommend to contact a local authorized dealer for microsoft products.

For some orientation. For Windows Server 2016/2019 + 20 user (cal + rds) oem license you can expect offerings around 3,5k euro. Offerings which are well below that price can be considered as scam.

Thank you, I am from Canada. I was looking at Windows Server 2019 Standard but I just found out on Microsoft website that Essential comes with "Small businesses with up to 25 users and 50 devices" https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/pricing
    Price seems ok too if I don't need any CALS. But I am not sure about the downsides of Windows Server 2019 Edition Essentials.

• @GreenPeace said: But I am not sure about the downsides of Windows Server 2019 Edition Essentials.

Essentials does not support RDS

Thanked by 1GreenPeace
  • @fragpic said:

@GreenPeace said: But I am not sure about the downsides of Windows Server 2019 Edition Essentials.

Essentials does not support RDS

That's just disappointing. I think I will have to go with the Standard license. If I am not making any mistake if 10 people are connecting to just only one server then I need users CALS not Device CALS right?

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2021

Speaking of windows...

Thanked by 2bulbasaur GreenPeace
  • @default said:
    Speaking of windows...

Sadly the software doesn't run on Linux haha. It would be a much cheaper solution and easy for me too.

• @GreenPeace said:

@default said:
    Speaking of windows...

Sadly the software doesn't run on Linux haha. It would be a much cheaper solution and easy for me too.

Recompile it, or run it with Wine.

Thanked by 2GreenPeace yoursunny
  • @default said:

@GreenPeace said:

@default said:
    Speaking of windows...

That's an Idea but sometimes we have to some tweaks in the software, which might be a little bit tricky with Linux and wine. I want to keep it simple.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@default said:

@GreenPeace said:

@default said:
    Speaking of windows...

You need The Big Rewrite ™.
    And no, you don't rewrite it to run on Linux.
    Instead, rewrite it with TypeScript and Go, so that the frontend runs in browsers, and the backend runs everywhere (Plan9, anyone?)