Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Debian install problem on Ryzen - "failed to determine the codename for the release"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian install problem on Ryzen - "failed to determine the codename for the release"

miumiu Member
edited April 2021 in Help

Good day.

I would by grateful if someone can suggest me how resolve following issue:

I am installing Debian10 x64 OS on AMD Ryzen 3900 server from booted (connected remote) ISO through Lantronix SPIDER KVM/o/IP.
I have done partitioning step (SSD as /dev/sda1,2 & 2xSATA sdb and sdc in MD RAID1)
and want continue with next step "Install base system" but this ends with this error:

Debootstrap Error
failed to determine the codename for the release

I tried follow this:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/381408/debian-laptop-installation-fails-due-to-debootstrap-error-failed-to-determine-t
ls /dev/sd*

and i see:
/sda1,2 sdb and sdc partitions

But virtual cdrom (connected remote ISO w deb10) is missing, no there ever.

So i do not know how i should now mount it...

Thanks for help!

Comments

• miumiu Member

I assume that issue is caused by that connected KVM ISO is not mounted / readable as/cdrom

But i see that /dev/sr0 is mounted as /cdrom but it is empty #ls /cdrom, no files there

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Did you use the (often default) "test media and install" option?

That usually ejects the cd/dvd, so would effectively unmount your iso.

Thanked by 1miu
  • miumiu Member
    edited April 2021

@jackb said:
    Did you use the (often default) "test media and install" option?

That usually ejects the cd/dvd, so would effectively unmount your iso.

Hello. Thank you for your response. No i didn't it.

But from any unknown reason ISO has been frozen in KVM, opposite the fact that console has been appearing that ISO is still connected (any spider bug?)
    After restart and remount, all seems now work as well and installer can continue w inst. base system step

Hope, this can help to anyone with similar issue in future - when ISO goes crazy in spider, then restart may help, resolve it

Thanks regards