Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox KVM VPS freezes 1-2 times a day
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox KVM VPS freezes 1-2 times a day

brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have a KVM VPS with a Romanian provider who promises "30-minute ticket response time guarantee during business hours (8:00 am to 18:00 pm EET Mon to Fri) and 2 hours guarantee during non-business hours".

About two weeks ago my VPS started freezing 1-2 times a day: It is still shown as "running" in their panel but does no longer respond to SSH/Pings and the VNC console stops working. I've already stopped my services on that VPS and moved everything to another, so it shouldn't be a load issue.

Since my ticket with them is open for more than ten days now (to be fair: I got a response about 24h after opening the ticket but had to reopen it as the issue wasn't resolved), I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this before and maybe even has a solution? I don't see any other threads about this particular issue, so I guess it's rather related to my VPS and maybe something I can solve on my own?

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

is it from hosting solutions ro?
    If yes then tag cociu
    And is it a clean install of the VPS or you have stuff on it that may be crashing the VPS?

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

RAM overprovisioning? Had this issue where if on ZFS, 1/2 of the RAM is automatically allocated to ZFS -- if there's a surge, sometimes VMs can be shut down.

@brueggus said: their panel

Can you go to the Proxmox host directly?

On most providers (I assume using WHMCS + ModulesGarden), open the NoVNC console, copy the URL and trim it to [IP address]:8006/ and go to the Proxmox panel directly.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@lentro said: RAM overprovisioning?

Possibly. I can go to their Proxmox panel but I have close to no permissions there so I can't check the node's utilization.

• I'm also having this issue lol

• @brueggus said: started freezing 1-2 times a day

Does it "unfreeze" itself after some time or is it completely kaput requiring a restart (or whatever manual magic)? Anything of interest in VMs (esp. kernel) logs?

Can you leave a ping running on the VM to some external IP (of yours) and watch for the incoming ping rate on the (good VM)? Correspondingly, can you also have a ping from a good VM to the suspect VM's IP as well as the host node's IP?

I'm curious to know the network behaviour around the time your VM freezes - it may provide you with a clue on whether it is also something host related (like backups or other IO issues).

I assume this is still a problem - seems a rum one at that and I'm curious as well.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@nullnothere said:
    Does it "unfreeze" itself after some time or is it completely kaput requiring a restart (or whatever manual magic)?

No, it needs to be stopped (shutdown doesn't work) and booted again from their panel.

Anything of interest in VMs (esp. kernel) logs?

No, the VM just stops logging.

Can you leave a ping running on the VM to some external IP (of yours) and watch for the incoming ping rate on the (good VM)? Correspondingly, can you also have a ping from a good VM to the suspect VM's IP as well as the host node's IP?

I did, but the pings just stop. No jitter before the VM freezes.

I assume this is still a problem - seems a rum one at that and I'm curious as well.

Yep, it's really strange. I even tried updating the kernel to 5.11 from elrepo just to make sure that I'm not running into some fancy bug. But the VM went down again 5 hours ago...

Thanked by 1nullnothere