Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can you do with a VPS 5Mbps capped?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What can you do with a VPS 5Mbps capped?

hanoihanoi Member
edited March 2021 in General

Hi there,

When searching for some cheap vpses at Asia for my private wireguard vpn, I saw fdcserver[1] that had the plan $1.98/month

VPS Plan
- 5Mbps unmetered + 256MB RAM + 10GB SSD + 1IP + 1CPU Core

Nowadays, almost countries have broadband speed faster than 50Mbps [2] and I just curious what can you do with 5Mbps capped machine? A ping machine or a private DNS server?
Do you guys have experience with that fdcserver plan?
[1]fdcserver 5Mbps
[2]Speedtest Global Index

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

A 480p video stream is 3.5 Mbps on NDNts-video, so 5 Mbps is enough to serve such a stream to one user.

However, if you use 5 Mbps server as VPN, traffic has to flow through the server, so you only get 2.5 Mbps Internet bandwidth.
    Then, you can only watch 360p video stream.

5 Mbps server is not recommended if you want to watch videos.
    You can use it to access Wikipedia or emails.

HostHongKong has 5 Mbps server for less than USD 10 per year, but it's shared IPv4.
    They change the IPv4 if it gets blocked in China.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 2021
    • personal DNS self-hosted (including PiHole)
    • web-design mahine
    • monitor + email (for example on hunting domains as they expire)
    • IRC bot or other type of self-hosted bot
    • online radio station relay with high audio compression
    • VPN for playing games on Asia servers
    • donating it for virus studying (Folding@home)
    Thanked by 1hanoi
  • 5Mbps is more than enough for some use cases, like low traffic websites and small game servers.

I’ve seen many Korean, Chinese, and Japanese providers selling VPS/shared hosting capped to 1-10Mbps.

A game server used to play on was hosted on a 1core 2GB 2Mbps VPS. I talked to the server owner and he said the bandwidth cap was never a problem.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

A lot. 5Mps is aplenty for majority of applications.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • Port scanning >:)

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • MarkLuunMarkLuun Member
    edited March 2021

As the VPS only has 256 MB of RAM a relay for the Torproject is not possible.
    But you can still run a Tor bridge on the VPS and help people in hard restricted countries to access the internet in a save way.

Thanked by 1hanoi
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@hanoi said:
    Hi there,

When searching for some cheap vpses at Asia for my private wireguard vpn, I saw fdcserver[1] that had the plan $1.98/month

VPS Plan
    - 5Mbps unmetered + 256MB RAM + 10GB SSD + 1IP + 1CPU Core

Nowadays, almost countries have broadband speed faster than 50Mbps [2] and I just curious what can you do with 5Mbps capped machine? A ping machine or a private DNS server?
    Do you guys have experience with that fdcserver plan?
    [1]fdcserver 5Mbps
    [2]Speedtest Global Index

just a few ideas:

• nameserver,
    • server status monitor
    • some self-hosted stuff for personal us such as a wiki, bookmarking application ....
    Thanked by 1hanoi
  • xetsysxetsys Member
    edited March 2021

VPN for netflix if the server IP range isn't blocked and assuming minimal overhead loss? Netflix has pretty low bitrate, so 1080p will stream fine.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

My home internet is 7.5 Mbit ps, you'd be surprised

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • You can do anything that doesn't require high speeds.

• @dodheimsgard said:
    Port scanning >:)

5Mbps is enough for port scan detection. :)

• Low bandwidth servers can be used as gaming VPNs, especially if you're a Chinese user looking to play games that have international servers. 5 Mbps CN2 works great for gaming purposes, even if it's still really expensive.

• ddvuddvu Member

@yoursunny said:
    However, if you use 5 Mbps server as VPN, traffic has to flow through the server, so you only get 2.5 Mbps Internet bandwidth.
    Then, you can only watch 360p video stream.

Are you maybe confusing with half-duplex?

Either way, would be surprised if providers these day care about inbound traffic...

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

Is Microsoft Azure on CN2? If I remember correctly, I was able to get ~40ms ping to most parts of China from their Hong Kong DC, and I think they are on 1 gbps links for a few bucks per month (albeit only 5 GB of data transfer is free)

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited March 2021

@lentro said:

Is Microsoft Azure on CN2? If I remember correctly, I was able to get ~40ms ping to most parts of China from their Hong Kong DC, and I think they are on 1 gbps links for a few bucks per month (albeit only 5 GB of data transfer is free)

Azure HK is on CN2 last time I checked and I know its really good for Chinese users.

5GB of data is probably plenty for most games too (thinking stuff like League of Legends). Additional data is really expensive though.

Thanked by 1lentro
  • bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited March 2021

@chihcherng said: 5Mbps is enough for port scan detection. :)

Doesn't have a dedicated IPv4 though, this is a NAT VPS after all.