Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why providers use Ryzen?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why providers use Ryzen?

Why providers use Ryzen and not EPYC?

EPYC is the one to use for servers per AMD's website and it seems to give 4x the amount of cores. So one EPYC CPU (64 cores) = 4 Ryzen CPUs (16 cores per CPU). So wouldn't it make sense to use EPYC CPUs for the increased core density (and probably other features)?

Comments

• Ryzen has a higher clock speed per thread, so it’s better for low core VM’s
    • Ryzen is a lot cheaper to buy or rent.
  • lentrolentro Member, Host Rep

EPYCs are a few k each, even bulk. On a per-thread basis, I believe EPYCs are 2.5x more expensive on a per-thread basis (EPYC 7742 vs Ryzen 3600X), and you require much greater starting capital. A single Ryzen server will be < $1k, while high end EPYC servers are > $10k.

• The R on those CPU is symbol of their invisibility in battles for the single thread ratin

an the price is nice especially on 5950

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

• @lentro said:
    EPYCs are a few k each, even bulk. On a per-thread basis, I believe EPYCs are 2.5x more expensive on a per-thread basis (EPYC 7742 vs Ryzen 3600X), and you require much greater starting capital. A single Ryzen server will be < $1k, while high end EPYC servers are > $10k.

So it is mainly due to EPYC CPUs being more expensive. That's a huge difference in price. And I guess any other features in EPYC CPUs aren't that important for providers to invest that much in it.

I don't think Intel ever had that widespread use of its desktop/consumer CPUs in hosting companies like AMD has now.

• JarryJarry Member

@Kassem said:
    I don't think Intel ever had that widespread use of its desktop/consumer CPUs in hosting companies like AMD has now.

Maybe it's because Intel's desktop/consumer CPUs do not support ECC (with exception of some low-end pentium/celeron G and i3, which are pretty much useless in hosting business). On the other hand, all Ryzens do...

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@lentro said:

Could you connect me to the vendor who gives Ryzen Server under $1K, at least they cost me between $2.2K-3K depending upon CPU, MB and drives (I'm talking about new gear not refurbished)

• Ryzen cheap and fast and ECC support. provider can charge less to customer. win and win. epyc for serious business. for business that want to make money and no big problem.

• lentrolentro Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@HostEONS said:

@lentro said:

Could you connect me to the vendor who gives Ryzen Server under $1K, at least they cost me between $2.2K-3K depending upon CPU, MB and drives (I'm talking about new gear not refurbished)

I custom build :)

For a 64 GB DDR4, Ryzen 3600, 1TB NVMe, if I’m lucky I can get the following:
    Mobo $100 + RAM $300 + CPU $200 + Chassis $100 + PSU $100 + SSD $100 = $900. Then tax + misc other things but it generally falls under $1k. Might have underestimated current market price costs given they are continuously rising.

This is assuming consumer motherboards and non-ECC RAM.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2021

@lentro said:

@HostEONS said:

@lentro said:

I custom build :)

For a 64 GB DDR4, Ryzen 3600, 1TB NVMe, if I’m lucky I can get the following:
    Mobo $100 + RAM $300 + CPU $200 + Chassis $100 + PSU $100 + SSD $100 = $900. Then tax + misc other things but it generally falls under $1k. Might have underestimated current market price costs given they are continuously rising.

This is assuming consumer motherboards and non-ECC RAM.

Yeah but it won’t be suitable for VPS hosting, we are using 3950X, 128 GB RAM, 2x2TB Nvme 4.0 , 570 MB, chassis, Dual 10G NIC and all new

But still you are doing a good overall setup in a good budget, probably good for selling dedicated

Thanked by 1lentro
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

So ryzen cost is smaller upfront but provides less performance per watt, thus better for small companies, and for EPYC lineup of CPUs they have better performance per watt, but bigger upfront cost, which bigger providers can easily swallow.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Some applications also crave for that single thread performance. Some game servers for example.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Hxxx is that you?

Thanked by 1Hxxx