Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web-Hosting Locations (Poll)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web-Hosting Locations (Poll)

SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider
edited March 2021 in General

Hey everyone!

I'm curious what web-hosting locations you are most interested in!

As I have successfully launched services in .nl earlier this month, I'm considering where what the next location is that i should consider adding to the roadmap. The poll only features locations that i'm considering at the moment, so feel free to add suggestions in text form if they are missing.

In the Poll you can select which location you would be interested in seeing, or are actively looking for.

Comments

• _MS__MS_ Member

Voted.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

MS said:
    Voted.

Sorry, fixed the poll, please re-take the vote.

• senossenos Member

Voted

All still very close! this needs more votes

• edited March 2021

Luxembourg 🇱🇺

I'm thinking about a couple of things:

• Its curious that people would be interested to see Germany, as i'm already in .at wich almost has perfect latency/... to .de
    • I would have expected spain or portugal to get some reaction, but probably those users like to hang out in different communities.
    • Based on population sizes its also interesting that no-one has suggested anything in the uk and that ireland is low on votes.
    • Same goes pretty much for france. However it may that the french frequent different forums.
    • For US or Candada it doesn't appear to have a very majority for any suggestion.
  • @SGraf said: Based on population sizes (...) ireland

Ireland has very few inhabitants and there's also more than enough choice of UK-based providers.

@debaser said:

@SGraf said: Based on population sizes (...) ireland

Ireland has very few inhabitants and there's also more than enough choice of UK-based providers.

True.
    same could also be said about germany - 33.33% (presumably)

I just listed some things i was thinking about. :)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2021

@SGraf said:

• Its curious that people would be interested to see Germany, as i'm already in .at wich almost has perfect latency/... to .de
    • I would have expected spain or portugal to get some reaction, but probably those users like to hang out in different communities.
    • Based on population sizes its also interesting that no-one has suggested anything in the uk and that ireland is low on votes.
    • Same goes pretty much for france. However it may that the french frequent different forums.
    • For US or Candada it doesn't appear to have a very majority for any suggestion.

Just my thoughts on this:

1) I voted for Germany because the majority of my bigger clients is from Germany and many want Germany as a hosting location. It is also the easiest way to comply with german law, kinda.

2) While I would have found Spain or Portugal interesting, of the top of my head I never see someone continously praising on the forums that they are so happy with their Spanish/Portugal Hosting Location and that it has been super performant. From my experience, there may be some good hosting providers in Spain/Portugal but it is almost never talked about them and I'd argue Germany (with Hetzner, PHPFriends and Netcup) brings just so much "better" performance-price ratio to the table (ifor a bit of +- ms ping difference). Hence why noone (noone I know) is actively looking for a Spain/Portugal location. I mean, our man @MikePT is also opting for Hetzner (DE) for his Shared Hosting :P

3) With Brexit I withdrew from any UK hosting locations. Talked it over with my lawyer several times. It is a pita GDPR wise (if you wanna do it right) and there is just no need for me to opt for UK, when in Europe I can have Hetzner in Germany and Finland, OVH in France, and Ramnode in NL.

4) US and Canada are locations I can't see being of any use to me in the (near) future.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

So in my opinion Germany is kinda useless nowadays, it's just sooo saturated with hosts.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

1) I voted for Germany because the majority of my bigger clients is from Germany and many want Germany as a hosting location. It is also the easiest way to comply with german law, kinda.

2) While I would have found Spain or Portugal interesting, of the top of my head I never see someone continously praising on the forums that they are so happy with their Spanish/Portugal Hosting Location and that it has been super performant. From my experience, there may be some good hosting providers in Spain/Portugal but it is almost never talked about them and I'd argue Germany (with Hetzner, PHPFriends and Netcup) brings just so much "better" performance-price ratio to the table (ifor a bit of +- ms ping difference). Hence why noone (noone I know) is actively looking for a Spain/Portugal location. I mean, our man @MikePT is also opting for Hetzner (DE) for his Shared Hosting :P

3) With Brexit I withdrew from any UK hosting locations. Talked it over with my lawyer several times. It is a pita GDPR wise (if you wanna do it right) and there is just no need for me to opt for UK, when in Europe I can have Hetzner in Germany and Finland, OVH in France, and Ramnode in NL.

4) US and Canada are locations I can't see being of any use to me in the (near) future.

If you only knew the colocation prices here... And power. It's just crazy.

Thanked by 2Ympker mrTom
  • @MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

Are you in Spain @MikePT?

@MikePT said:

Please do share :)

edited March 2021

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

@SGraf said:

@MikePT said:

Please do share :)

Just an example... A U1 with 2 TB bandwidth would cost you 100 EUR + VAT, at least, and that's good for like 0.5 Amps.

I'm evaluating the possibility of owning fiber connections, but that's a long-time plan. The DCs here itself are very expensive.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

The owner of Skynethosting.net also lives in Portugal 🇵🇹 (at least the owner as of last year). His server locations also do not include Portugal/Spain.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

The owner of Skynethosting.net also lives in Portugal 🇵🇹 (at least the owner as of last year). His server locations also do not include Portugal/Spain.

Really? Woot, I didn't know that very interesting!

We have major players here with a nice monopoly, Claranet, PTisp, etc. It's just too expensive to colocate if you need, say, 10 or 20TB of bandwidth. I believe we have like 4 DCs in 3 cities, Lisbon, Porto, Viseu.

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

Seems to be from Sri Lanka as per his LinkedIn, could be outdated tho!

• edited March 2021

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

Oops! You might be right. Almost 2 years ago they had delivered my control panel and billing system in Portuguese and level 1 support told me it was because of the owner. Level 1 support doesn't always know.

My 2nd favorite city on earth is Tomar with the Convent of Christ. Have you visited there? We participate as contributors in a Museum just South of Tomar.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

Oops! You might be right. Almost 2 years ago they had delivered my control panel and billing system in Portuguese and level 1 support told me it was because of the owner. Level 1 support doesn't always know.

My 2nd favorite city on earth is Tomar with the Convent of Christ. Have you visited there? We participate as contributors in a Museum just South of Tomar.

Of course I know it! I live like 15km from Tomar... 😁

How did you contribute?

• edited March 2021

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

How did you contribute?

The Vila Nova da Barquinha Municipality (just South of Tomar, Portugal, where the famous Castle of Almourol is located) entered into an agreement with two branches of the Templar Order – the Ordo Supremus Militaris Templi Hierosolimitani Universalis (OSMTHU) and the Ordre Sovereign et Militaiire du Temple de Jerusalem (OSMTJ) – to declare the municipality and the Interpretation Center Almourol Templar (CITA) as an International place of interest where we've located the International Templar Museum.

Read more here: https://templars.wordpress.com/2019/10/15/vn-barquinha-celebrates-protocol-with-templar-order-that-will-make-cita-the-worlds-most-important-repository-on-the-order-of-the-temple/

We donated documents and money to The C.I.T.A. Museum. That other organization, The OSMTHU, did more as they are located in Portugal. They did the heavy lifting and enjoyed the ribbon cutting ceremonies (we are primarily in the USA).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Singapore

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

How did you contribute?

The Vila Nova da Barquinha Municipality (just South of Tomar, Portugal, where the famous Castle of Almourol is located) entered into an agreement with two branches of the Templar Order – the Ordo Supremus Militaris Templi Hierosolimitani Universalis (OSMTHU) and the Ordre Sovereign et Militaiire du Temple de Jerusalem (OSMTJ) – to declare the municipality and the Interpretation Center Almourol Templar (CITA) as an International place of interest where we've located the International Templar Museum.

Read more here: https://templars.wordpress.com/2019/10/15/vn-barquinha-celebrates-protocol-with-templar-order-that-will-make-cita-the-worlds-most-important-repository-on-the-order-of-the-temple/

We donated documents and money to The C.I.T.A. Museum. That other organization, The OSMTHU, did more as they are located in Portugal. They did the heavy lifting and enjoyed the ribbon cutting ceremonies (we are primarily in the USA).

Wow wasn't aware of that, at all! So you've been in Portugal! I hope you enjoyed staying here mate. It's a beautiful country. Wouldn't move to any other country, its formidable. Thank you for the explanation by the way, I learn new stuff every day!

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • As somebody that offers multiple locations, I would strongly advise any businesses that are considering expanding to add another 6..12..24 months to their timeline.

With that being said, scandanavia ftw.

@SmallWeb said:
    As somebody that offers multiple locations, I would strongly advise any businesses that are considering expanding to add another 6..12..24 months to their timeline.

Pretty solid advice

I do have a timeline :)

One step at a time....

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@MikePT said:

@Ympker said:

@SGraf said:

I'm in Portugal

How did you contribute?

Wow wasn't aware of that, at all! So you've been in Portugal! I hope you enjoyed staying here mate. It's a beautiful country. Wouldn't move to any other country, its formidable. >Thank you for the explanation by the way, I learn new stuff every day!

Keep quoting this, and lets break css when you don't have folding quotes on

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @SmallWeb said:

I second this. Not only because I'm Swedish, but because Scandinavia is a big black hole on the hosting map. Most of Scandinavia have excellent infrastructure and top tier connectivity, but the lowend hosting market is nonexistent.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee