Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer Burning USBs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Computer Burning USBs

JacobJacob Member
edited March 2012 in General

Ok, I got a new usb recently and was playing around booting OSs on it. Last OS I burned onto it was a Win XP copy.

When loading usb in my computer now it does not appear as active devices and also after 5 or so Minutes goes really hot!

Any Ideas on this since I now have a burned 16GB and 2GB USB sticks.

Comments

• Failed USB controller? Probably overvoltage.

• fanfan Veteran

I've met that once on a malfunctioning usb hub, but I managed to replace the usb stick from the support. The brand was Verbatim.

• I have seen this in the slimmest versions. The regular sized kingston ones are just hot to acceptable limits.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@peppr said: I have seen this in the slimmest versions. The regular sized kingston ones are just hot to acceptable limits.

I always thought I was crazy. I have one of those keychain mini sdcard usb deals and when I do file transfers it gets very hot.

The more you know shooting star

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I had various experiences with USB devices.
    While I was in the hospital used a CDMA modem on my EEEPC to watch TV and stuff, and it got hot but didnt pay attention. However, one day stopped working after i forgot it plugged in over night while the EEEPC was turned off...
    I also had burned USB ports while using external USB enclosures for 3.5 HDDs with separate power. They NEVER lasted more than a few months, it was either the rack or the USB port that was burned, I use 2.5 drives and enclosures now without external power, but was kinda hard to find 2 TB ones that work and now they are simply too expensive.
    With sticks and card readers, tho, didnt have any unusual problems to date, and I do buy cheap ones, A-Data and the like.
    M

• @Maounique CDMA is quite power hungry.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yeah, that is why I didnt pay much attention as it was getting hot, but turned out to be a bit too much for it in the end...
    Got replaced in warranty and they told me not to leave it on for extended periods of time... Like, hey, you have unlimited internet but dont use it more than 5 minutes at a time, it may blow up, sheesh :P
    M

• I remember in the early days of USB, some add-on PCI cards had power connectors in the floppy drive form factor on them for powering the external ports... I wonder what happened to them. I haven't seen a USB 2.0+ add-on card with them.

• I think you could consider this a "hand warmer", plug it in for 5 minutes, do some copying, pull it out and your hands are instantly warm!

All kidding aside I lost my little thumbdrive, but I don't remember it ever getting insanely hot.