Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to migrate my dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to migrate my dedicated server

denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening!

First off if this is not the correct place, please move this thread.

As of recent my dedicated server has been crashing, and per my servers logs it just dies.

My current setup is an AMD 3900X with 128gb of ram and 2x 1.2TB drives with a /27 and /29 of IPv4s, 100TB of 1gb bandwidth for $173 a month

The issue started about 2 weeks ago, I've been running Ubuntu 20.04 with virtualizor and an ubuntu VM using half of the resources of the dedi running pterodactyl. Sadly the dedicated server just crashes randomly. The company is a great company, but they are 100% unmanaged to the point that I need to produce that it is hardware and not software that is causing the crash. Honestly I am getting closer to need to change things up a little as our project is growing.

Some things I am wanting to do differently this time around : get ECC memory (with the ability to upgrade past 128GB of ram eventually), more CPUs, and as of right now just a /28 (with the ability to buy more)

I would love to stay with AMD processors.

My requirements are looking something like this :
AMD EPYC 16/32
128GB ECC Ram
2x1.2TB NVMe
/28 ipv4
~100TB B/W
Hosted in the USA, central time zone would be a HUGE plus

I am hoping my budget of $200 a month would cover something like this.

Thank you!
v/r denellum

Comments

• knownhost?? I have 1 ds with them and so far this is the most stable ds I've ever used and able to handle around 1M hist/day .

mine is unmanaged btw

• Sanjue007Sanjue007 Member
    edited March 2021

It must be @Clouvider but not in USA well you can consider @dustinc if location really matters

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Sanjue007 said:
    It must be @Clouvider but not in USA well you can consider @RackNerd if location really matters

Thanks for the mention!

We are in New York, Atlanta and Los Angeles in the US :-)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @Hetzner_OL need to get open a US location!

• @Sanjue007 said:
    It must be @Clouvider but not in USA well you can consider @RackNerd if location really matters

Ohhh. There you go.. You heard the man.

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

@popularwidget said:
    knownhost?? I have 1 ds with them and so far this is the most stable ds I've ever used and able to handle around 1M hist/day .

mine is unmanaged btw

Sadly they are a little out of my price range :(

@Clouvider said:

@Sanjue007 said:

Thanks for the mention!

We are in New York, Atlanta and Los Angeles in the US :-)

Do you have EPYC processors? Only seeing intel currently.

@Kaffekopp said:
    @Hetzner_OL need to get open a US location!

Yes please!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

We will have Epyc soon after Milan is launched. We currently have Epyc in London and Amsterdam readily available.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@denellum said:

As of recent my dedicated server has been crashing, and per my servers logs it just dies.

My current setup is an AMD 3900X with 128gb of ram and 2x 1.2TB drives with a /27 and /29 of IPv4s, 100TB of 1gb bandwidth for $173 a month

The issue started about 2 weeks ago, I've been running Ubuntu 20.04 with virtualizor and an ubuntu VM using half of the resources of the dedi running pterodactyl. Sadly the dedicated server just crashes randomly. The company is a great company, but they are 100% unmanaged to the point that I need to produce that it is hardware and not software that is causing the crash. Honestly I am getting closer to need to change things up a little as our project is growing.

Some things I am wanting to do differently this time around : get ECC memory (with the ability to upgrade past 128GB of ram eventually), more CPUs, and as of right now just a /28 (with the ability to buy more)

AMD EPYC 16/32
    128GB ECC Ram
    2x1.2TB NVMe
    /28 ipv4
    ~100TB B/W

Thank you!
    v/r denellum

Which location are you looking for?

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2021

Slightly outside your price range, but what about this one? https://www.serverhunter.com/offer/limestone-networks-amd-epyc-7281/

BTW with that much RAM I'd definitely get ECC RAM. Silent corruption/bitflips can get nasty.

• @denellum said:

AMD EPYC 16/32
    128GB ECC Ram
    2x1.2TB NVMe
    /28 ipv4
    ~100TB B/W

Thank you!
    v/r denellum

you should go with colo also with raid 10.

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

@BharatB said:

USA, but central would be huge.

@Daniel15 said:
    Slightly outside your price range, but what about this one? https://www.serverhunter.com/offer/limestone-networks-amd-epyc-7281/

BTW with that much RAM I'd definitely get ECC RAM. Silent corruption/bitflips can get nasty.

Never knew of that website!

@mhosting_in said:

It's crossed my mind, but right now I like not being on the hook for hardware failure. Give me a year or so and I'll be making that step.

=====================================

Also : seriously thank you all for your replies. Reached out to a few hosts and pretty much just copied my OP.

My current reseller hosting is with racknerd. They went above beyond and pulled some strings to get me hooked up with a nice dedicated server within my budget.

@RackNerd : does Anthony sleep?!

So far the reseller has been great, I signed up when they had some network issues so was slightly scary, but minus that it's been perfect. Can't wait to try out the dedi and I'll post a proper review when both of my services have aged.

Honestly thank you all for your help with this process. This is a great community.

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • @denellum said: Never knew of that website!

Serverhunter is really good, although as far as I can tell it's mostly focused on VPSes rather than dedicated servers. There's not as many listings for very powerful dedis on there. Still, you can adjust the filters and see the listings that meet your needs :)

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@denellum said:

@BharatB said:

USA, but central would be huge.

@Daniel15 said:

Never knew of that website!

@mhosting_in said:

It's crossed my mind, but right now I like not being on the hook for hardware failure. Give me a year or so and I'll be making that step.

=====================================

Also : seriously thank you all for your replies. Reached out to a few hosts and pretty much just copied my OP.

My current reseller hosting is with racknerd. They went above beyond and pulled some strings to get me hooked up with a nice dedicated server within my budget.

@RackNerd : does Anthony sleep?!

So far the reseller has been great, I signed up when they had some network issues so was slightly scary, but minus that it's been perfect. Can't wait to try out the dedi and I'll post a proper review when both of my services have aged.

Honestly thank you all for your help with this process. This is a great community.

Hi @denellum -- thank you for working with RackNerd! Happy to hear that you've chosen us as your provider both on the reseller and bare metal services. We do a great job here, Anthony is an asset to our company.

He works extremely hard -- I'll share this with him :)

We sincerely appreciate your business and look forward to working with you for years to come.