Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying IP Addresses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Buying IP Addresses

If I buy 1024 ip addresses from an organization, are there any annual fees to be paid for the /22 ? Even if I didn't go through ARIN for ownership, will I be forced to be a member of Arin?
What is a reasonable price for each ip address? The ip addresses have never been used before.

Comments

• Did you check the ARIN website before posting here?

• For a /22, you will have to go through ARIN, by providing technical justification, and you also have to already be using 256 IP addresses before you can get a /22. You'd be crazy to think you'll get those IP's for free, you will obviously have to pay a fees, but most organizations don't accept yearly on IP's. On a per month basis, I'd say $0.5 per IP for 1024 addresses.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2013

@Yago said: If I buy 1024 ip addresses from an organization, are there any annual fees to be paid for the /22 ? Even if I didn't go through ARIN for ownership, will I be forced to be a member of Arin? What is a reasonable price for each ip address? The ip addresses have never been used before.

What do you mean by "buy", exactly? Like with domain names, IP addresses have no "owner". They are either (a) allocated by ARIN or other regional organization; or (b) SWIP'd (akin to leased) by your upstream provider.

EDIT: or (c) leased to you by an IP address "broker" - which seems to be the case here?

Like @dhamaniasad said, you have to be already using a couple of hundred (i.e. SWIP'd to you by your upstream), to apply for the smallest allocation - /22 - directly with ARIN. More on this here: https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv4_initial_alloc.html

I don't know if IPv4 addresses holder can SWIP an entire /22 to you all in one batch, without going through ARIN - maybe someone here can clear that up? Assuming that's a yes, use allocation cost directly from ARIN as a base to calculate the reasonable monthly lease (SWIP) price to you. ARIN fees here: https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html#isps

• Zen said: you can get 0.10-0.20/IP past a /22 if you go on yearly contract.

Nice to know.
    To get this price I need to contract at least how many IPs early? In your experience, I mean.

• @Zen said:
    To be honest at this point if you plan to be in business for more than a year you'de be smart to rent allocations yearly on contract - pricing with your dedicated provider is only going to get worse.

Thank you Zen. I will send you a PM, if you do not mind.

Have a nice weekend.

Thanked by 1Zen
  • @DragonDF said:
    Nice to know. To get this price I need to contract at least how many IPs early? In your experience, I mean.

Most can do this on a /23 or so. Provided there's justification. Many hosts here do this.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • YagoYago Member
    edited November 2013

To clarify, I think this would be a direct sale or transfer of ip addresses, not leasing. I would be owning the ip addresses outright. I asked here because my situation is unique (everyday people just don't get to own them) and I'm not sure how many of ARIN"s rules applies to my situation. Worst case scenario if I don't use it for my startup companies, I could rent them out to people here or other web hosting forums.

What's a reasonable price to offer for each ip addresses assuming I aim for a /22 first?

• @Yago said:
    This is a very old organization that has been allocated a /16 when the internet was very young. My research indicates they are using less than 100 ip addresses. If I ever started a web hosting company, that would be the first place I hit up. Things are moving faster though because this organization might go bankrupt next year. I want to have at least a /22 before the block goes back to ARIN or auctioned off. To clarify, I think this would be a direct sale or transfer of ip addresses, not leasing. I would be owning the ip addresses outright. I asked here because my situation is unique (everyday people just don't get to own them) and I'm not sure how many of ARIN"s rules applies to my situation. Worst case scenario if I don't use it for my startup companies, I could rent them out to people here or other web hosting forums.

What's a reasonable price to offer for each ip addresses assuming I aim for a /22 first?

I doubt this. No matter how old the organization you still need to provide justification and you can't do that when you only utilize 100IP's out of a /16

• @mcmyhost said:
    I doubt this. No matter how old the organization you still need to provide justification and you can't do that when you only utilize 100IP's out of a /16

This is likely IANA direct IPs, meaning it's out of control. You can do whatever you like on it. ARIN won't and can't care.

• @mcmyhost said:

Not for Legacy IP address allocations from before Regional Internet registry allocation policies applied.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xhtml

• All i think is... yet another person who wants to buy ip space to hold onto and get rich quick... in the worst case scenario if you dont use them all you'll resell them, ofcourse your not going to have a use for 65k ip's, let the company go bust and hand back the ip space so they can be given to end users in need instead of greedy ip brokers

Thanked by 1FiberVM