Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How up to date is the GRE tunneling guide on the BuyVM wiki?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How up to date is the GRE tunneling guide on the BuyVM wiki?

I am trying out the GRE tunnelling instructions at https://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel and although I can ping between them using the private IP range, the forwarding doesn't work.

But I see that the guide is about 5 years old now and things may have changed in software or the BuyVM kernels may have been built for it.

Has anyone succeeded in using it recently?

Are there other guides elsewhere which are more up to date or successful?

Comments

• benj0xbenj0x Member
    edited March 2021

Works for me, as it is, completely fine.
    It lacks the part for doing such stuff without NAT, which I wasn't able to achieve so far, but with NAT it's working perfectly. I have been using it for a while between multiple servers and I got what it promised.

Make sure to add your default route back over your GRE tunnel, otherwise the tunneling stuff back won't work, since you aren't masquerading.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @benj0x said:
    It lacks the part for doing such stuff without NAT, which I wasn't able to achieve so far, but with NAT it's working perfectly. I have been using it for a while between multiple servers and I got what it promised.

Make sure to add your default route back over your GRE tunnel, otherwise the tunneling stuff back won't work, since you aren't masquerading.

I am sure I have done the NAT part properly. When I add the initial NAT forwarding command on the source IP I don't see anything different in the ip tables list, ie when I run iptables -L -n.

What version of Debian are you using and how does your /etc/iproutes2/rt_tables look like?

• @rchurch said:

@benj0x said:

I am sure I have done the NAT part properly. When I add the initial NAT forwarding command on the source IP I don't see anything different in the ip tables list, ie when I run iptables -L -n.

What version of Debian are you using and how does your /etc/iproutes2/rt_tables look like?

I'm running latest Debian 10, Ubuntu 20.04 and also ran it on Ubuntu 18.04. My /etc/iproutes2/rt_tables includes various names for each of my tunnels, since I'm abusing multiple instances for forwarding to my servers.

I'll dump it at a later point here, however I'm right now on my phone.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Works perfectly fine assuming you aren't trying to host Pterodactyl. That requires some black magic to make work.

Francisco

Thanked by 1benj0x
  • benj0xbenj0x Member
    edited March 2021

@Francisco said:
    Works perfectly fine assuming you aren't trying to host Pterodactyl. That requires some black magic to make work.

Francisco

Guess then we'd need a tutorial without NAT. Any plans to put such thing into the BuyVM wiki?

It would also be possible to do some iptables botch to achieve comparability with pterodactyl, however this defeats the simplicity of the control panel.

@benj0x said: Guess then we'd need a tutorial without NAT. Any plans to put such thing into the BuyVM wiki?

Customers can ticket and we help them :)

Too many people lifted the guide that I'm not in a big rush to write more.

Francisco

Thanked by 2benj0x rchurch
  • rchurchrchurch Member
    edited March 2021

It turns out I was using the wrong guide. The guide at BuyVM is for their filtered IPs, but it was GRE in general I was trying to test.

Any way I got it working using a guide at https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/linux-setup-gre-tunnel, which seems to partly based on the BuyVM guide :)

• @rchurch said:
    It turns out I was using the wrong guide. The guide at BuyVM is for their filtered IPs, but it was GRE in general I was trying to test.

Any way I got it working using a guide at https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/linux-setup-gre-tunnel, which seems to partly based on the BuyVM guide :)

That's kind of that, what the BuyVM guide did.

@benj0x said: That's kind of that, what the BuyVM guide did.

Couldn't have made it more obvious given they used the cPanel IP fetching URL instead of a good one like ifconfig.co or similar.

Francisco

Thanked by 2benj0x jetchirag