Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RDP & pricing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RDP & pricing

TejyTejy Member

Hello,

I have few questions about the "Windows RDP sessions" market.

1. In your opinion, is there still a market for "windows RDP sessions" (without administrator rights)?
  2. Do you have any use cases, which could justify this need?
  3. What would be the ideal price for a Windows RDP session (without administrator rights) with 50GB of NVME, and 4GB of RAM?
  4. Is the fact that you don't have adm rights is deterrent in your opinion?

Looking forward your answers! :)

Comments

• @Tejy said: Do you have any use cases, which could justify this need?

People still uses high ram, gpu rdp for video editing, video rendering, android studio, etc.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

If it comes with paid versions of Visual Studio, I'll pay $0.15/hour.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2021

@Tejy said: (without administrator rights)

The fact is that to use a lot of apps(or install them) they require administrator rights, so you would need a nice library of apps to use.

• TejyTejy Member

@Boogeyman said:

@Tejy said: Do you have any use cases, which could justify this need?

People still uses high ram, gpu rdp for video editing, video rendering, android studio, etc.

Oh, that's a good thing to know. I thought that RDP sessions were only used by scammers, and other kind of illegal activities. Thanks a lot.

@yoursunny said:
    If it comes with paid versions of Visual Studio, I'll pay $0.15/hour.

Thanks for your feedback. Are you talking about IDE Visual Studio Professional/Enterprise?

@skorupion said:

@Tejy said: (without administrator rights)

The fact is that to use a lot of apps(or install them) they require administrator rights, so you would need a nice library of apps to use.

Yes, I must think about basic apps installed (Mozilla, Filezilla, Chrome, VLC), but I don't have other apps ideas... :(
    Maybe if customers can request an app installation via ticket, it may be suitable?

edited March 2021

@Tejy said: Yes, I must think about basic apps installed (Mozilla, Filezilla, Chrome, VLC), but I don't have other apps ideas...
    Maybe if customers can request an app installation via ticket, it may be suitable?

That's the problem with not having administrative rights, you may just install like 1000 apps for customers to run and let them choose which one they want to use. And what you have said install apps via ticket

• TejyTejy Member
    edited March 2021

@skorupion said:

@Tejy said: Yes, I must think about basic apps installed (Mozilla, Filezilla, Chrome, VLC), but I don't have other apps ideas...

That's the problem with not having administrative rights, you may just install like 1000 apps for customers to run and let them choose which one they want to use.

Yes, it seems to be a good idea! :)
    Which applications do you think are essential?

• The only real use I can think of is if you are travelling and you don't want your data stored elsewhere - especially if you are going to a high risk country. That way if someone steals the Chromebook or laptop that you go with, they have no data.

That said, nobody is travelling anymore, and if you're that paranoid about paranoid security, you would want to have more control over the machine.

4GB of RAM is light for Windows.

• @Tejy said: ut I don't have other apps ideas...

Look what your current competitors have pre-installed on their system by default.

• TejyTejy Member

@curmudgeon said:
    The only real use I can think of is if you are travelling and you don't want your data stored elsewhere - especially if you are going to a high risk country. That way if someone steals the Chromebook or laptop that you go with, they have no data.

That said, nobody is travelling anymore, and if you're that paranoid about paranoid security, you would want to have more control over the machine.

4GB of RAM is light for Windows.

Thanks for your complete feedback! :)

@Tejy said: Yes, it seems to be a good idea!

First, you defenedly need more resources than 4 GB of RAM.
    So a browser, OBS Studio, Office 365, Photoshop(or just the whole adobe pack), discord, Microsoft Teams, Zoom (generally apps to communicate and screen share), Some kind of music editor. Visual studio enterprise or PRO. There a lot of apps that you would need, and most people using RDP are using it to have access to paid apps.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • TejyTejy Member

@skorupion said:

@Tejy said: Yes, it seems to be a good idea!

First, you defenedly need more resources than 4 GB of RAM.
    So a browser, OBS Studio, Office 365, Photoshop(or just the whole adobe pack), discord, Microsoft Teams, Zoom (generally apps to communicate and screen share), Some kind of music editor. Visual studio enterprise or PRO. There a lot of apps that you would need, and most people using RDP are using it to have access to paid apps.

Maybe NATed Windows VPS could be a better idea? :)

@Tejy said: Maybe NATed Windows VPS could be a better idea?

Defenedly, but as I said it would need the power of a workstation to be worth it.

• @Tejy said: I thought that RDP sessions were only used by scammers, and other kind of illegal activities.

If you choose to market it as such, then you would definitely get bot operators. Advertise them as typical Windows systems and I believe you should be okay.

@Tejy said: Is the fact that you don't have adm rights is deterrent in your opinion?

Definitely. Can you talk a bit about why you perceive admin rights to be a problem? It's not like programs on Windows need to be installed in order to run.

• TejyTejy Member

@stevewatson301 said:

@Tejy said: I thought that RDP sessions were only used by scammers, and other kind of illegal activities.

If you choose to market it as such, then you would definitely get bot operators. Advertise them as typical Windows systems and I believe you should be okay.

@Tejy said: Is the fact that you don't have adm rights is deterrent in your opinion?

Definitely. Can you talk a bit about why you perceive admin rights to be a problem? It's not like programs on Windows need to be installed in order to run.

I was planned to buy a dedicated host, and use basic system that I've developped from my side to create and automate RDP session creation.
    If I give adm rights for users, they will be able to remove existing users, or perform malicious actions (without talking or using AD, and other Windows services).

• webcraftwebcraft Member
    edited March 2021

@Tejy said:
    I was planned to buy a dedicated host, and use basic system that I've developped from my side to create and automate RDP session creation.
    If I give adm rights for users, they will be able to remove existing users, or perform malicious actions (without talking or using AD, and other Windows services).

You definitely want to use AD if you integrate other Windows Services.
    Right now I don't see much value in your plan. It's very time intensive to install apps on request and keep them up to date and manage the whole system. That'll be very expensive and I could just rent a VPS somewhere and install Windows on it myself and have adm privileges.