Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have 2 servers, one of them is mounted through SSHFS/Samba
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have 2 servers, one of them is mounted through SSHFS/Samba

sgno1sgno1 Member

Hi there,

I rent out a large server with powerful specifications on Server 1, and my 2nd server is connected through SSHFS and the specifications are bare minimum (mostly for storage, 2 GB RAM, 1 Core)

I was wondering if I stream video content through Server 1 which uses the storage of Server 2 through Samba/SSHFS, what type of resources will be used from Server 2? What would I need to consider when streaming content, would it be using any type of CPU power from Server 2?

Hope someone can answer this question

Comments

• edited March 2021

would it be using any type of CPU power from Server 2?

Yes, the computation needed to encrypt the data on the SSH channel.

If you copy a large file as fast as possible from S2 to S1 that should show you the maximum load you would expect to see from a single stream. Or for a more realistic test limit the file read speed to the maximum bit rate used by the content to be streamed (for instance use pv's --rate-limit option). Repeat with multiple transfers if you are planning for there potentially being more than one concurrent stream running (rather than the arrangement being intended to just serve yourself) This still won't be 100% accurate because it won't account for resends that the streaming protocol and network conditions may require or for the fact that streaming isn't always linear access, but close enough.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Or you can try to do a test stream and monitor both server resources usage.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2021

For server-to-server communication I'd recommend NFS instead of Samba or SSH. I wrote a guide here: https://d.sb/2020/12/nfs-howto

SSHFS doesn't work well for large files or when you need multiple concurrent transfers. It doesn't have any concurrency (meaning only one transfer can be happening at a time), no block access (even if you just want a small part of a file, the entire file needs to be transferred across the network), and no locking.

Thanked by 2jugganuts licher70
  • jugganutsjugganuts Member
    edited March 2021

@Daniel15 said:
    For server-to-server communication I'd recommend NFS instead of Samba or SSH. I wrote a guide here: https://d.sb/2020/12/nfs-howto

SSHFS doesn't work well for large files or when you need multiple concurrent transfers. It doesn't have any concurrency (meaning only one transfer can be happening at a time), no block access (even if you just want a small part of a file, the entire file needs to be transferred across the network), and no locking.

can confirm this works very well, we use it for our groups archive project.
    we started with SSHFS but the speed was laughable im assuming because fuse.

• How are you going to stream your content? Are you planning to have something like Plex on server 1?

@sgno1 said:
    the specifications are bare minimum (mostly for storage, 2 GB RAM, 1 Core)

We've seen a much barer minimum than that .. :)

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

How about a 'real' filesystem like NFS or CIFS over a 'real' VPN? IPSec, OpenVPN, WireGuard or anything else non-TCP based.

Such a protocol stack looks like a much better architecture to me because each layer uses a protocol for what it was designed for.

Thanked by 1RadWebHosting