Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a server for home use - suggestions needed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Building a server for home use - suggestions needed

Hi

I have been thinking to use a second-hand Dell PowerEdge to make a server for home/hobby use. It will be mostly off and I will spin it up to do CPU intensive jobs for example building Gentoo or Debian packages or AI-related simulations.

What do you suggest? I have an unused R430 or I could try getting something else. If you can think of other efficient "bricks" that deliver lots of CPU power, please tell!

Comments

• jtkjtk Member
    edited March 2021

It might be noisy to run continuously depending on your living space. It seems like overkill for building some packages, but it would certainly work. For home use and to keep noise and power down something like a Raspberry Pi if you don't need a lot of CPU might work. A step up might be something like a lower end Intel NUC, Mac Mini, or cheaper compact system. You can get prior gen stuff used for relatively little. It all sort of depends, especially on your budget.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jtk said: It might be noisy

Might be? Will be. Very.

But OP already has one so he should know.

You have to consider the power cost as well..."mostly off, sometimes spin up to do CPU intensive tasks" sounds like a perfect scenario for using cloud services to me.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Have been down this road before. My advice would be to avoid the enterprise gear and just build a normal PC.

The newest Intel NUCs work pretty great as well, 6c/12t i7s that can take up to 64GB ram, m.2 slot + 2.5" drive bay.