Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

2021 bench tool for testing nvme and servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2021 bench tool for testing nvme and servers

hello guys i would like to know which tool do you recommend? i have seen YABS.sh but it scares me because it comes with precompiled binaries which I can not see the source code thus I dont trust that much... or is it safe? how do you know if it doesn't comes with a rootkit?

which other tool do you suggest?

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

YABS will use existing installed programs if available I believe. Just apt-get install iperf3 fio or equivilant beforehand and it'll use the distros versions.

Not sure on geekbench though.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I open sourced the code for version 1.x of my 'vpsbench'. Result: quite a few downloaded the courtesy precompiled binaries and less than three people downloaded the source ... well noted after quite a few remarks and complaints along the lines of "only open source is acceptable due to security" yada yada.

Translation: 99+% are not serious about checking the source, it's basically just socially driven group bla bla intended to signal "I'm in the know".

Quite similarly the "benchmark" shell scripts out there are not really benchmarks but rather something like a quick - and simple! - momentary glance for basic first orientation. And of course they are but wrappers and binaries do the real work. But those binaries usually are parts of some open source user land.

Thanked by 1seriesn