Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OSCAM 500+ Load?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OSCAM 500+ Load?

BlueVMBlueVM Member
edited March 2012 in General

Alright I've seen some pretty weird stuff generate load on my servers everything from minerd to torrents to rapid leech... I've been battling with something called oscam all day. One of my clients started it on their VPS, it ran up a load over 500 (via %wa or disk usage). Now I killed his VPS, but the process hung and stuck all day and because of it his VPS failed to stop. I finally got rid of it by literally telling my server to die by getting a technician to hold down the power button for 8 seconds.

My question to all of you providers is: Have you ever seen this god forsaken program before and has it done anything "nasty" on your machines? I hate to admit that we had a problem today, but seriously that was the most ridiculous problem I've ever had from a single client's VPS.

(The only good news is that its resolved.)

Comments

• More information can be found at the wiki: http://streamboard.gmc.to/wiki/OSCam/en/What_is_OSCam

Thanked by 1dnom
  • Looks like satellite tv card sharing server software. There is all sorts of satellite decoder boxes (like dreamboxes) that can download decryption keys for satellite tv channels (so they dont have to have a legitimate card in them from the TV provider)

So probably what happened is that this OSCAM process on your server was serving hundreds/thousands of these boxes (they need to continuously get fresh/working keys to keep the channels unscrambled)

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

offtopic but anyways, minerd is a bitcoin cpu miner, uses a lot of cpu, about 70-100% on windows

• DerekDerek Member

Looks like a pretty legit business...

• @SpeedBus said: offtopic but anyways, minerd is a bitcoin cpu miner, uses a lot of cpu, about 70-100% on windows

I am more of this side

• We've got quite a few customers running this. It wont be a problem depending on the version they are using. I don't have any specifics though, all I know is one customer has accidently upgraded/downgraded a few times which caused high loads very quickly. Nothing a bit of pkill -9 spamming can't fix though.