Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo: new announcement tomorrow - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo: new announcement tomorrow

2»

Comments

• HakimHakim Member

Paying 4.99EURO cost me around 6.10$. So, no thanks.

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 2021

@Hakim said:

That's 10 cents more than the official rate right now..

• HakimHakim Member

@serv_ee said: That's 10 cents more than the official rate right now..

4.99Euro one is the VPS S SSD which is 6.99$ officially.

• @Hakim said:

I don't get it? So you're mad cause you didn't pay enough?

• @serv_ee said:

@Hakim said:

yes.

• @benj0x said:
    They announced that they'll accept USD from now on.

However, there will be a fee of €25 for existing customers to change to USD.

https://contabo.com/blog/contabo-now-accepting-usd-payments/

That is so stupid. Yeah let me go and ahead and switch my billing to USD. I only have pay a fee that is five times the cost of my service. Come on Contabo, you don't charge a fee for that, that's just the cost of running a business.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• OMG! which stupid hosting provider offers 25 Euros as billing switching fee? Really to toggle on/off they need 25 euros!!!

• @JasonM said:
    OMG! which stupid hosting provider offers 25 Euros as billing switching fee? Really to toggle on/off they need 25 euros!!!

No that's not easy, reread their instructions it must be done manually !

• @momkin said: No that's not easy, reread their instructions it must be done manually

manually - by them! but that does not need to write a custom script for each customer to just change billing currency! They must be having really an outdated panel?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

A neat (not) way to make some extra dough.

Guess the owner needs some steam games.

• HakimHakim Member

@serv_ee said:

@Hakim said:

That's not 10 cents more. It's 90 cents less. The current contabo price for VPS S SSD is 6.99$. I pay 4.99 euro which cost me around 6.10$.

• @jamespeach said:
    I only have pay a fee that is five times the cost of my service.

So spin up a new account, transfer the data to the new VM(s), and cancel. Though you'd still have the setup fee and a small amount overlap time to pay for. And the admin.

Or just keep paying in € - is that really such a big problem?

• serv_eeserv_ee Member
    edited March 2021

@Hakim said:

@serv_ee said:

@Hakim said:

That's not 10 cents more. It's 90 cents less. The current contabo price for VPS S SSD is 6.99$. I pay 4.99 euro which cost me around 6.10$.

Sooo...90 cents less?

What the hell dude. If you would pay 6.99 usually but now paid 6.10...wheres the issue?

You paid 10 cents more than the EXCHANGE rate. Or did you expect an €4.99 to cost you $4.99?

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@jamespeach said:

So spin up a new account, transfer the data to the new VM(s), and cancel. Though you'd still have the setup fee and a small amount overlap time to pay for. And the admin.

Yeah I will be continuing to use EUR, just pretty lame for Contabo to charge such a high fee for something that they should have done for free from the start.

• "There's a sucker born every minute" P. T. Barnum

Sue them.

It's the only right thing to do.

Thanked by 2iNK79 jamespeach
  • @serv_ee said:

@Hakim said:

@serv_ee said:

@Hakim said:

Sooo...90 cents less?

What the hell dude. If you would pay 6.99 usually but now paid 6.10...wheres the issue?

You paid 10 cents more than the EXCHANGE rate. Or did you expect an €4.99 to cost you $4.99?

Or 4.99 mexican pesos?

• HakimHakim Member

@serv_ee said: Sooo...90 cents less?

When did I say there's an issue? I just meant I am fine in my euro currency billing.

• @deank said:
    Sue them.

It's the only right thing to do.

Wanna go in with me with a class action?

• @Hakim said:

@serv_ee said: Sooo...90 cents less?

When did I say there's an issue? I just meant I am fine in my euro currency billing.

Uhh...not sure why would you try it in the first place but sure.

@jamespeach said:

I am not even a customer of theirs.

• @deank said:

@jamespeach said:

I am not even a customer of theirs.

Thats fine.

• @jamespeach said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@jamespeach said:

Yeah I will be continuing to use EUR, just pretty lame for Contabo to charge such a high fee for something that they should have done for free from the start.

Oakley wants their ROI as soon it's possible. Therefore, Contabo has to generate some more income ;)

• baidubaidu Member

I use Euro

• coldcold Member

@Hakim said:

4,99 its without Fee, in the end u pay 5,something Euro

• @benj0x said:

@jamespeach said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@jamespeach said:

Oakley wants their ROI as soon it's possible. Therefore, Contabo has to generate some more income ;)

I didn't know they were acquired by oakleycapital :neutral:

• verovero Member, Host Rep

@benj0x said:
    They announced that they'll accept USD from now on.

However, there will be a fee of €25 for existing customers to change to USD.

So only one member guessed right - congrats @lukgth

Are currencies really important these days? Or it was just a way to introduce new fee?

• is that news ?

• @vero said:
    Are currencies really important these days? Or it was just a way to introduce new fee?

Depends on scale I suppose.

If you are huge then the % difference you effectively pay for currency conversion, or because the currency most of your relevant finances are relative to is stronger than the others ATM, then it might add up to a significant amount. You might not even care about the overall amount, but the volatility could make business planning more "fun".

At the very other end that small % might make a difference if you are running an small online business are on the breadline so every penny/cent/other counts, it could be enough to care about.

For those at scales in between, it probably matters a lot less.

Also some just feel safer dealing in their local currency so not offering that option can mean you miss sales. Humans are needy animals and like the comfort of the familiar.