Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X ECC support? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X ECC support?

2»

Comments

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited March 2021

@notarobo said:

@momkin said:

@Yakooza said: ce Ryzen 9 5900x

@smallbibi said:

@dodheimsgard said:

@Hxxx said:
    @AlexBarakov Ryzen is consumer grade, that's what it is. I'll tell you what is NOT... Business Grade or to be more clear SERVER GRADE / ENTERPRISE.

Nothing against Ryzen (consumer grade CPU) but don't mask it as if it were server grade. As you can see ECC is not even officially supported. At this time you are building frankestein builds. For the low end market, OK. For the top or mid end market, big no.

If your business is serious, EPYC is what you would be using which is the AMD line for enterprises/servers.

Unless Ryzen is recognized by AMD as officially enterprise grade and supported 100% to be used on server applications by its manufacturer, I wouldn't sell it as server grade for serious stuff.

For mining, gaming, hobby , sure. For enterprise databases or web servers BIG NAW. Does it work tho? Yes it works and clock per core is pretty good.

Is there a real difference between server grade CPUs and Ryzen cpus? Some serious design differences? Something else than just "server grade" sticker. I have no idea honestly, that's why I ask.

The main difference is you get less cores/ram with ryzens.

I don't think so , Threadripper™ 3990X has 64 cores - 128 Threads That's planty cores for a consumer CPU !

and 256GB DDR4 support

I don't know how they are marketing it, but threadripper is not exactly "consumer" and meant for workstations. I suppose threadrippers tick the boxes for "server-grade" somewhat but surely AMD will gimp them some way. End of the day, AMD is a business and looking to make money. Maybe threadrippers will consume more power than epycs. Maybe less lanes. Maybe something else. They will differentiate their products enough to make more money.

Again, in case I wasn't clear. I really couldn't care less. I'll just go for the cheapest option because I don't have anything important enough to care. But consider use cases like big data, rendering or maybe huge services like youtube. At some point, the 256 GB ram is just silly when paired with the 64 cores and higher power consumption. Also, consider services with five nines SLA. Surely businesses wouldn't mind paying a premium for "server-grade" just for the ease of mind.

• SCAM_DONT_BUYSCAM_DONT_BUY Member
    edited March 2021

Threadripper PRO allows up to 2 TB.

I still prefer hobby hosts with Ryzens, as you called them.

• For the ones that don't know, server cpus are just down-clocked cpus...

You might even hear that it's a different silicon but not really.

• Actually difference is in product life cycle and encryption features that Intel Enterprise do not Support too...

BUT what is not available in Ryzen is Available in Ryzen Pro ...

Asrock Rack Ryzen Servers are not Frankenstein https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-16-775-005

P.S. I think gamers are more demanding market and will trash your company at many place online if you disrespect them with shitty product or shitty play (example GME)

• 7sgda7sgda Member

@Yakooza said:
    Since Ryzen 9 5900x shortage. I was thinking if we grab some AMD Ryzen 7 5800X instead of 5900x.
    Any of you have experience with 5800x? Main question. Does it support ECC?
    I didn't see on AMD documentations but I saw it on some third-party that it does support ECC.

Thanks

@AlexBarakov said:
    It should support ECC UDIMMs. We're awaiting some units as well.

Sorry about waking an old thread. I just have a question for you.
    Did you get ECC working with a 5800x?
    I am trying to make it work (with a consumer board: asrock X470 taichi ultimate). When I use a Ryzen 5 1600, it seems to work like expected, but when I install the 5800x (debian at least) is reporting that it isn't enabled.
    I need to test some more, but just wanted to get an answer from either of you, so that I know if it actually does work. AMD support weren't that helpful.
    Also, if I may ask, what is your hardware specs?

Thanks.