Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server with a max power consumption of 100W?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server with a max power consumption of 100W?

Hello,
I've found a colocation offer which perfectly fits to my budget, but I'm looking for very power-efficient servers.
I've a limit of 100W power max, and unmetered consumption.
Do you have any idea of which kind of servers I can rack?
I would like to install servers with 64GB DDR3L and Xeon, or Ryzen based (thanks to this low consumption).
Do you have any idea?
Thanks,

Comments

• would you mind sharing the full specs here ?

• @momkin said:
    would you mind sharing the full specs here ?

Full specs of the colocation offer?

• @Tejy said:

@momkin said:

Yes !

• @momkin said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

Yes !

Energy: 100W
    Electrical consumption: unmetered
    Connectivity: /112 IPv6 supplied by U, 1 IPv4 supplied by U
    Network: 100Mbps guaranteed
    50€/month in France

• 100W is like light bulb :D

Intel Nuc is the best you can do.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Can prob do something with an older ryzen apu as those things can underclock pretty well but 100w is pretty limiting.

• @Tejy You're going to have to up your power budget if you want to run old xeons or ryzens. Xeons especially since the cpu themselves are typically a 120-140w tdp by themselves. So You're more looking at a pi or a very low power nuc of some sort.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2021

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

Yes !

50€/month in France

You can get 10Gbps fair usage (200-300TB/m) port from Serverius Meppel at that price, though electricity is not included, but its only 10-20€ extra at max.

Nforce is even cheaper and includes electricity.

• I agree , 100W will be used by the CPU alone , if not more since most ryzen CPU's use 100W at least !

• verovero Member, Host Rep

It is possible to built something not consuming more than 100W, like mini ITX with Pentium CPU, but it won't be anywhere close to server grade hardware. Network throughput won't allow you to take full advantage of any serious CPU anyway. For 50€ you could get gorgeous VPS or even dedi, why you won't to squeeze some piece of harware between 100W and 100Mbits, and even pay for that?

• Grab some Xeon E3****L cpu node. or a Dell Poweredge R230 or something like that and slap in a i5 6600T-series. Low power cpu’s are around enough.

• Something like a E3 1260Lv5 would be perfect for you. Grab a SUPERMICRO CSE-512 X11SSQ-L-DE05B with that cpu for example and you’ll have a nice server

• alpha110alpha110 Member
    edited February 2021

A TX100 S3P with a Xeon E3-1220V2, 32 GB DDR 3 and 2 x 500GB Hdd needs 70 watts. But not a redunant power supply.

My own TX100 with a Pentium G2120, 16 GB RAM, 4x HDD and 1x SSD needs a maximum of 75 watts.

https://www.alphr.com/servers/32025/fujitsu-primergy-tx100-s3p-review/

• I'm in love with that

Asroc Rack Chassis from

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-16-775-005

Ryzen 3900 (65w ) is out of stock every where

but you can go 3700 65w https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/p/N82E16819113567?Item=N82E16819113567&Tpk=19-113-567

and then i feel the pain when I check the ram prices

• @Tejy said:

@momkin said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

Yes !

50€/month in France

/112 IPv6 = I wouldn't do this. Which provider is it? @yoursunny has to put it on the IPv6 wall of shame.

• @benj0x said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

Yes !

50€/month in France

/112 IPv6 = I wouldn't do this. Which provider is it? @yoursunny has to put it on the IPv6 wall of shame.

That's Aquaray (https://www.aquaray.com/en/enterprise-services/#housing).

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited February 2021

Some elect server CPU has low power version, especially for Xeons.

But they aren't abundant, thus aren't cheap. It'd be a custom build which will run more expensive.

Might as well look for a new colo offer with a little bit more relaxed power limit.

• JasperNLJasperNL Member
    edited February 2021

Isn't this offer superior in every other way?

https://serverius.net/colocation/server-colocation/

• It has an IPv4 address
    • It has ~100TB traffic/month
    • It accepts 1 amp, which is up to 230W.

Disclaimer: I do not work with them, I am no client there, I have no connections with them except for one old study friend who has a server there.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

It'll bite you from one side or from the other. Either you pay for high performance but low el. power hardware like e.g. embedded Zen -or- you pay (relatively) cheap for hardware but much more for colo. Or, in other words, you either pay front-up or you pay spread over time - but pay you do.

In fact, it's one of the major points in hosting mastery to find just the right sweet spot.

You might have an ace up your sleeve without knowing it: Most people actually need much less performance than they think they do. A friend of mine has a dual Xeon 24xxL based dedi with 16 (iirc) phys. cores and plenty of memory that runs quite a lot of stuff, incl. a not small dyn. web site, a DB server, etc. and is hardly even at 50% of its capacity. But: in a benchmark that server would look poor vs. E5-26xxV4, Ryzen etc. On the monthly bill it looks great though and no user of that dedi ever said "meee, it's slow" ...

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited February 2021

Shouldn’t be hard to do with a modern low TDP cpu. Lmao at the comments saying embedded systems/NUCs, 100w can go way further than those. Go easy on number of sticks of ram, number of disks and forego IPMI if you can. Get the best efficiency PSU you can with an ideal wattage for your load (efficiency varies a bit by load). Choose efficient fans and as few as possible. Consider limiting cpu performance / power states.

In short easy enough if you are building it yourself, but off the shelf will be a challenge. Whether you can do better for the money is another question - 50 eur/mo will go far with some providers, and the power limits prevent you from really taking advantage of colocation over renting - you can’t cram in disks.

• Some time ago I was running XeonD-based SuperMicro server. With 4xSSD, 4xDIMM & 10Gbit NIC it was running at ~25W/idle and no more than 50W/max...

• Is there anyone in the "hobbyist colo" space? Could be shared 100mbit, NAT IPv4 + reverse proxy and IPv6, non-redundant power, closet vs data center, etc.

Alternately, anyone squeezing multiple consumer ITX mobos and switch into a 2U case? :)

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@randomq said:
    Is there anyone in the "hobbyist colo" space? Could be shared 100mbit, NAT IPv4 + reverse proxy and IPv6, non-redundant power, closet vs data center, etc.

Alternately, anyone squeezing multiple consumer ITX mobos and switch into a 2U case? :)

I do hobbyist colo.
    Micro colo - like an intel Nuc, RPI, ubiquiti edgerouter, etc,
    $10 - Colo / 100Mbps link fair use.
    $25 - Colo / 1Gbps Link fair use.

I don't have it listed yet. but send me a message and can get you setup.

• QuartermasterQuartermaster Member
    edited February 2021

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

I do hobbyist colo.

Highly recommend DataIdeas. I have a Raspberry Pi with them and it's been flawless. Josh even went out of his way to help me get a certain type of USB HDD and microSD card I wanted, hooked it all up and imaged to my specs... Stellar service!

Thanked by 1DataIdeas-Josh
  • @DataIdeas-Josh said:

@randomq said:
    Is there anyone in the "hobbyist colo" space? Could be shared 100mbit, NAT IPv4 + reverse proxy and IPv6, non-redundant power, closet vs data center, etc.

I do hobbyist colo.

Cool! How would you handle any hands-on support (reboot, insert rescue USB, etc)?

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@randomq said:
    Cool! How would you handle any hands-on support (reboot, insert rescue USB, etc)?

Just put in a ticket and well get it done.
    Now if want us to change out RAM or HDD/SSD. Basically if have to go inside of the chassis/enclosure then well want a bone (Well take a rib only :lol: ).

• dodheimsgarddodheimsgard Member
    edited February 2021

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

Yes !

50€/month in France

What's the point of colocation when you can get decent dedi for this money?

• @dodheimsgard said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

@Tejy said:

@momkin said:

Yes !

50€/month in France

What's the point of colocation when you can get decent dedi for this money?

I wouldn't pay that much, but... If you had some custom gear like AI coprocessors, or extreme amounts of ram/nvme it might make sense.