Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering transferring domain to Virmach ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Considering transferring domain to Virmach ?

jperkinsjperkins Member
edited February 2021 in General

Virmach has been good for me since I found them on low end box a couple years ago. Yea the support isnt the speediest but they always got back to me and most of the time it was me requesting something in the first place. they are still honoring the black friday price of years ago. No I dont run resource intensive programs on the vps , and it is always up when i need it.

Planning on leaving ionos/1and1 and godaddy. Ionos is tied to a hosting i dont need and they give me the run around over price increases. Leaving godaddy due to renewal rate.

So i have a couple domains I want to move to a new registrar. Has anyone transferred to domains to virmach and what is your experience.

Thanks

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Just transfer to other registrars, like Dynadot, Namecheap, Porkbun and NameSilo.

• Transfer to professional registrars instead of a hosting company

• Honestly, I always suggest having your hosting separate from your domain registrar. My registrar of choice is typically NameSilo, and I use CloudFlare for DNS as it also provides a level of DDoS protection, and other useful features.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • 10301030 Member
    edited February 2021

You should use ICANN accredited registrars, and Virmach is not one of them.

I'm using Yay.com - https://www.yay.com/domain-names/ because they are ICANN accredited, have nice UI for DNS menagment and also their DNS servers are in UK, Belgium and so on cool locations.

Thanked by 1mike1s
  • thanks for all the comments. Yea it makes sense to go with ICAAN accredited . Plus pretty sure VIrmach doesnt provide DNS, not even sure about an automated way to update the SOA. I'll review the suggestions here. I was thinking of Namecheap but I got a chance to glance at Dynadot earlier. I dont need a teaser price for a year. Dont really want to hop around, just get a good stable rate.

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited February 2021
    • NameSilo if you want cheap
    • NameCheap if you want silo (nah, if you want good options :D)
    • CloudFlare if you want real whois privacy feature (not the "proxy" like registrars does)

In any case, avoid cheap hosting providers, go for long term reliable providers. Also it's a good idea to always separate services, more when it's about names, because you don't know what could happen (ban, hack, etc.).

• VirMach service maybe good. I have few with them and no complains of service. But their Ticket support can be extremely slow. Have one open since Jan.16th and no response. So like others would highly recommend not using your hosting provider as domain registrar. Use ICANN accredited registrar to safe guard your domain.

• I took y'alls advice. went with Dynadot.

Had been with 1and1/ionos since they came to USA. They offered 3 years free hosting. My account says I was a customer since 2003 . They just became too much hassle to keep the price stable. and it may just be a coincidence but last year after emailing with one of their reps, regarding pricing, started to get phishing emails for 1and1

• Namesilo, porkbun, namecheap. Never register a domain with a hosting provider. Keep them seperatly. And backup. Constantly.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@o_be_one said:

• CloudFlare if you want real whois privacy feature (not the "proxy" like registrars does)

ATAK Domains and their reseller if you want super cheap, but:

• no privacy feature at all - so I put my office address instead of apartment
    • no free authoritative name server
    • no way to modify DNSSEC records
    • no way to set domain lock
    • they only speaks Turish

(look in the New Year's Day megathread, it's $6 per year)

Porkbun if you want to dejigamaflip your domain, and you are not a vegan.

Name.com if you like noodles.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @o_be_one said: CloudFlare if you want real whois privacy feature (not the "proxy" like registrars does)

For what it's worth, any European provider should give you something like WHOIS privacy for free, since it was the easiest way for them to become GDPR compliant. Similarly, WHOIS data should be redacted automatically if you're a European customer, even if the registrar is not European. Some registrars applied that redaction to all customers, even non European ones. Porkbun redacts by default for example.

I use Porkbun and this is what the whois for my domains looks like now:

Updated Date: 2018-03-15 05:33:45
    Created Date: 2006-08-02 00:47:06
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2023-08-02 00:47:06
    Registrar: Porkbun LLC
    Registrar IANA ID: 1861
    Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
    Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.5038508351
    Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Registry Registrant ID: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Name: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Street: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant City: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant State/Province: California
    Registrant Postal Code: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Country: US
    Registrant Phone: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Phone Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Fax: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY
    Registrant Fax Ext: REDACTED FOR PRIVACY

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @Daniel15 said: WHOIS privacy for free

All 3 i suggest offers whois privacy for free (NameCheap made it free since 1 or 2 years). But not all TLD supports "whois redaction" which is the supported whois privacy by TLD themselve iirc. Most of them use "whois proxy" which could be considered a bad practice (i think it's mostly related to legal stuff, like whois proxy doesnt really protect you if someone legally asks for owner informations).

CloudFlare made the choice to sell TLDs who only supports whois privacy from scratch, on their own (called whois redaction).

From what i see with your whois log, porkbun seems to support also the official way of whois privacy supported by ICANN ; but if they offer it on all TLDs then they also use whois proxys for TLDs that does not support whois redaction. At least having both is a benefit of choice, could be better if you have an information somewhere telling you if a TLD can benefit from whois redaction or if it's whois proxy.

• @yoursunny said:

@o_be_one said:

Porkbun if you want to dejigamaflip your domain, and you are not a vegan or muslim.

LMFTFY.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited February 2021

@jperkins said:
    Virmach has been good for me since I found them on low end box a couple years ago. Yea the support isnt the speediest but they always got back to me and most of the time it was me requesting something in the first place. they are still honoring the black friday price of years ago. No I dont run resource intensive programs on the vps , and it is always up when i need it.

Planning on leaving ionos/1and1 and godaddy. Ionos is tied to a hosting i dont need and they give me the run around over price increases. Leaving godaddy due to renewal rate.

So i have a couple domains I want to move to a new registrar. Has anyone transferred to domains to virmach and what is your experience.

Thanks

Never registrar your domain with the web server host, JHC
    i have seen lots of DA's use cloudflare to hide ip, but still use web server host to registrar domain, just stupid.

• @lokuzard said:

@yoursunny said:

@o_be_one said:

Porkbun if you want to dejigamaflip your domain, and you are not a vegan or muslim.

LMFTFY.

You forgot Jewish people though.

• just to follow up, I went with dynadot. no issues so far but the timing of things pushed my renewals way out so I havent had to renew. thanks again for all the suggestions

• TGTTGT Member

I remember using virmach way back in the days for my runescape botting. Good to see they're still in business.