Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mining crypto with a RPI?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mining crypto with a RPI?

Has anyone tried mining crypto with a RPI (raspberry pi)? I'd like to get into mining and want to know if anyone has any past experience? I don't think you'd make a lot of money but I'm interested if anyones done it here.

Comments

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

As in running the miner off the RPI or using the RPI for the software to run the miner?

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:
    As in running the miner off the RPI or using the RPI for the software to run the miner?

The miner

• Nah, not worth your time

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@Sebster27 said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

The miner

I mean you could but wouldn't be worth it.

• No better use it for something else like pi-hole, host static sites or send it to me!

• Income will be virtually zero. Dont waste your time.

• edited February 2021

You'll eat more in power consumption from the computation than you'll make from the results, whether using a Pi or a huge multi-GPU PC rig. The days of local mining being useful in that sense are long gone.

Though for playing with the tools to learn about the subject, how to manager wallets, and so forth, knock yourself out. Running the tools in a VM or just on your main rig are similarly suitable options, but I suppose using an rPi puts an upper limit on the cost of power consumption from leaving the miner running 24/7.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    You'll eat more in power consumption from the computation than you'll make from the results, whether using a Pi or a huge multi-GPU PC rig. The days of local mining being useful in that sense are long gone.

Though for playing with the tools to learn about the subject, how to manager wallets, and so forth, knock yourself out. Running the tools in a VM or just on your main rig are similarly suitable options, but I suppose using an rPi puts an upper limit on the cost of power consumption from leaving the miner running 24/7.

Really appreciate that. Thanks. I’m really just interested in learning more about mining and crypto. I’d like to learn how to set it up on a RPI as well

• @Sebster27 said:
    Has anyone tried mining crypto with a RPI (raspberry pi)? I'd like to get into mining

Got a time machine?

• Is this the quality of thread you’re getting round here now?

• I estimate mining Monero on RPi4 you could stand to make $0.20 per month, if your electricity is free.