Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vulnerability in SolusVM Debian 10 template - "debianuser" backdoor/default user - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vulnerability in SolusVM Debian 10 template - "debianuser" backdoor/default user

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@zafouhar said: What does the username have to do with anything since the recommended solution is to reinstall the VPS?

Not everyone uses templates, and not everyone uses ISOs either.

This is just a heads-up for those who are using templates, informing them of a possible backdoor found in the Debian (and maybe Ubuntu) templates provided by Solus.

@zafouhar said: Why is there a working hack posted in this forum when there are possibly thousands of VPS's and users affected by this?

This isn't a howto - it's an FYI/FYA.

• @zafouhar said:
    I believe the @Mods should remove all mentions of the username of this attack for a few days.

This is a serious vulnerability, publishing the username used to hack VPS's should not have been done.

The username should be removed from this post immediately until users have a chance of reinstalling or removing the user.

@FAT32 your immediate action is recommended.

bro, are u braindead ?

• @zafouhar said:
    Why is there a working hack posted in this forum when there are possibly thousands of VPS's and users affected by this?

It would only be classified as a working hack if someone posted a working password for the user.

Thanked by 2Erisa jixun
  • @cold said:

@zafouhar said:
    I believe the @Mods should remove all mentions of the username of this attack for a few days.

This is a serious vulnerability, publishing the username used to hack VPS's should not have been done.

The username should be removed from this post immediately until users have a chance of reinstalling or removing the user.

bro, are u braindead ?

Cant be but maybe he is too stoned to think properly

• Ok. debianuser existed on 2 specials I got from Virmach during the last BF.
    Looks like debianuser had no sudo privileges.
    Luckily for me is that I change ssh port and disable password auth as soon as I get a box.

• For me, it was RackNerd and Greencloud. I removed the user and can't see anything suspicious, but will probably re-install both at the weekend to be sure.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited February 2021

my Idel virmach vps has logout record for debianuser on Jan 31
    Jan 31 16:49:51 sshd[29268]: Disconnected from authenticating user debianuser 205.185.125.189 port 57656 [preauth]
    so it was on fly for a while

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited February 2021

Hetzner (no solusvm) Debian - no debianuser but someone attempted to login

# grep 'debianuser' /var/log/auth.log
    Feb  2 02:39:59 zzz sshd[4717]: Invalid user debianuser from 205.185.125.189 port 43644
    Feb  2 02:39:59 zzz sshd[4717]: Disconnected from invalid user debianuser 205.185.125.189 port 43644 [preauth]
    Feb  2 02:48:09 zzz sshd[4825]: Invalid user debianuser from 205.185.125.189 port 38782
    Feb  2 02:48:09 zzz sshd[4825]: Disconnected from invalid user debianuser 205.185.125.189 port 38782 [preauth]

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2021

@varwww said:
    Hetzner (no solusvm) Debian - no debianuser but someone attempted to login

# grep 'debianuser' /var/log/auth.log
    Feb  2 02:39:59 zzz sshd[4717]: Invalid user debianuser from 205.185.125.189 port 43644
    Feb  2 02:39:59 zzz sshd[4717]: Disconnected from invalid user debianuser 205.185.125.189 port 43644 [preauth]
    Feb  2 02:48:09 zzz sshd[4825]: Invalid user debianuser from 205.185.125.189 port 38782
    Feb  2 02:48:09 zzz sshd[4825]: Disconnected from invalid user debianuser 205.185.125.189 port 38782 [preauth]

bots will always attempt logins on public internet.

this just seems like a common issue with weak password and default users, am I wrong? Taking a few minutes of time to secure a server would prevent this.

• That IP belongs to frantech :D I use SSH keys instead of passwords

• @ravenchad said:

@Daniel15 said:
    @strmd If password login is disabled then you should be safe. Just check last and /var/log/auth.log and ensure there's no suspicious logins.

As a side note, for storage servers I'd usually recommend creating a separate partition (or LVM logical volume) for the data. For example, 15 GB for /, and the rest of the space for /data. Then you can wipe and reinstall the OS without having to touch the data.

I am not sure, if just by deleting the user will solve it and considered safe already?
    Thanks

I'd reinstall just to be safe.

@dustinc said:

@ABC said:
    I recently purchased a VPS from RackNerd, I chose Debian 10 template and there was indeed a "debianuser" user, however I've deleted it immediately.
    Should I reinstall? @dustinc

Hi @ABC -- As a precautionary measure, we'd recommend doing so.

• @MikePT said:

@Francisco said:
    Instead of trying to fix the EXT4 issues (debian uses a newer version of EXT4 that CentOS 7 can't handle) they just...use EXT3 instead.

God bless SolusVM.

Francisco

If you are serious, that is hilarious!

That's exactly what I thought when I was making our own templates. They don't support new features like uninit_bg and 64 bit, so you have to turn them off if you make your own ext4 partition. I guess they just revert to ext3 and call it a day.

• @zafouhar said: The fact is that a lot of users will wake up with their VPS's hacked due to this exact post but I guess its all over Google in anycase so too late.

I'd agree with you if this wasn't being exploited in the wild, but given the fact that this is already being exploited, being vague about it is just security through obscurity, and makes it harder for people to determine if their servers were compromised as a result of the issue.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • @zafouhar said:

No. It's well established this is the wrong way to go once solutions are available. You'd be right if there was no defense.

• We've already updated our Debian 10 templates accordingly. Reinstallations going forward will no longer have the redundant "debianuser" user in the template.

@dustinc

Pedantic user says "redundant" is incorrect and not needed to be said. It might actually confuse people implying one debianuser is correct and two are wrong.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@TimboJones said:

We've already updated our Debian 10 templates accordingly. Reinstallations going forward will no longer have the redundant "debianuser" user in the template.

@dustinc

Pedantic user says "redundant" is incorrect and not needed to be said. It might actually confuse people implying one debianuser is correct and two are wrong.

Hi @TimboJones - I can see how it could be taken that way. We could have worded that better. Thanks for pointing that out.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Reinstallations going forward will no longer have the redundant "debianuser" user in the template.

Pedantic user says "redundant" is incorrect and not needed to be said.

One could say saying "user" after "debianuser" is also redundant :)

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@rm_ said:

@TimboJones said: Reinstallations going forward will no longer have the redundant "debianuser" user in the template.

Pedantic user says "redundant" is incorrect and not needed to be said.

One could say saying "user" after "debianuser" is also redundant :)

Indeed, it could be taken several ways, so I could see why he said that too.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Indeed, it could be taken several ways

Oh nevermind, I'm just kidding. It's all fine as is :)

edited February 2021

Was just reading @raindog308's post on LEB.

This vulnerability has been associated with the CrytoNight miner. If you see a process called ‘cnrig’ on your system, you have definitely been compromised.

Just to confirm, is it cnrig or xmrig? Or both?

EDIT: Or I guess it could be either one - maybe both should be mentioned.

• @thedp said: Just to confirm, is it cnrig or xmrig? Or both?

I've seen reports of both. Just check for any sketchy-looking processes in general.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@msg7086 said:

@MikePT said:

@Francisco said:
    Instead of trying to fix the EXT4 issues (debian uses a newer version of EXT4 that CentOS 7 can't handle) they just...use EXT3 instead.

God bless SolusVM.

Francisco

If you are serious, that is hilarious!

That's exactly what I thought when I was making our own templates. They don't support new features like uninit_bg and 64 bit, so you have to turn them off if you make your own ext4 partition. I guess they just revert to ext3 and call it a day.

That's a workaround, not a fix. I was able to create a KVM image for Proxmox just fine though!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Has SolusVM emailed the providers about this?

Thanked by 1DP

@MikePT said:

Something I’ve been wondering about as well.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2021

@thedp said:

@MikePT said:

Something I’ve been wondering about as well.

I wonder more how this went into the template undetected.
    Or if there is more to discover and this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Well at least now I know that every time I wasted time installing from ISO (i dislike templates) it was worth it.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • udonworldudonworld Member
    edited February 2021

Where is the announcement by SolusVM?

The Debian 10 images linux-debian-10-x86_64-gen2-{v1,v2}.gz on templates.solusvm.com were apparently updated very recently - without even changing the filename. This alone doesn't smell good.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest image locally to find out how they "patched" it... Geez, they just mounted the image and edited /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow instead of recreating the image from scratch!?

$ ls -l /media/etc/{passwd,shadow}*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1346 Feb  2 20:03 /mnt/etc/passwd
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1343 Oct 21  2019 /mnt/etc/passwd-
    -rw-r----- 1 root shadow  808 Feb  2 20:03 /mnt/etc/shadow
    -rw-r----- 1 root shadow  913 Oct 21  2019 /mnt/etc/shadow-
    $ grep debianuser /media/etc/passwd
    $ grep debianuser /media/etc/passwd-
    debianuser:x:1000:1000:DebianUser,,,:/home/debianuser:/bin/bash
    $ ls -l /media/home
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x 2 k k 4096 Oct 21  2019 debianuser

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited February 2021

@udonworld said: Geez, they just mounted the image and edited etc passwd and etc shadow instead of recreating the image from scratch!?

They'd probably mess something else up if they tried to create a new one from scratch, since I doubt they've properly automated the creation of templates. My guess is that it's all manually done, compared to something like LXC where the images are automatically built.

Am I seeing things right? They kept a copy of the original version and just added a hyphen to the end of the name (etc/passwd-)? wut.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@udonworld said: on templates.solusvm.com were apparently updated very recently - without even changing the filename. This alone doesn't smell good.

Holy shit that's rich.

Francisco

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

That is a straight up "We think we're going to get sued so we'll silent patch this and hope no one calls us on our bullshit".

Francisco