Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

โ€บ [MyW] Ryzen migration initiated ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MyW] Ryzen migration initiated !

2ยป

Comments

• @vyas11 said:
    Not really. Miguel mentioned about the Ryzen migration more than 6 months ago

That's all the emails I've received :)

• Or do you mean the 3 emails about migrations that was scheduled for Sunday but never actually happened.. 3 times, and without then sending a 4th email saying: "We give up, and will inform you 1-2 weeks in advance before we actually perform the migration"?

If that is counted as being informed, then sure ๐Ÿ˜‚

It's like you are rebuilding your house, the electrician informs you they'll come Monday, tuesday they inform you that they didn't come monday, but will come wednesday, to then inform you on thursday that they didn't come wednesday.

Then to simply show up 4 months later: "Here I am"

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited February 2021

@Zerpy said:
    Or do you mean the 3 emails about migrations that was scheduled for Sunday but never actually happened.. 3 times, and without then sending a 4th email saying: "We give up, and will inform you 1-2 weeks in advance before we actually perform the migration"?

It's like you are rebuilding your house, the electrician informs you they'll come Monday, tuesday they inform you that they didn't come monday, but will come wednesday, to then inform you on thursday that they didn't come wednesday.

Aptly put! Our man was busy with baby and everything that comes with it, so he gets a pass this time .

Ah Electricians.. fun lot. Went through six of them for my home and I was the seventh.

Thanked by 2kkrajk MikePT
  • ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited February 2021

@vyas11 said:
    Aptly put! Our man was busy with baby and everything that comes with it, so he gets a pass this time .

You can't use the "baby" excuse for months and months on end. There's nothing that justifies notifying customers 1 day before migration.

Let me actually change that:

Dear clients,
    We've initiated the migration to Ryzen servers, this features NVMe, Ryzen 3900X and 128 GB DDR4.
    We're currently migrating the shared accounts, the next accounts should be reseller accounts.

It wasn't one day before, it was during the migration people got notified ๐Ÿ˜‚ even worse.

Thanked by 1vyas11

• IP address has changed as well...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@randomq said:

@MikePT said:

@smile93 said:

@MikePT said:
    Thanks for helping each other guys.

All set now.

Old server is being deactivated.

Thank you, wde1, for serving us so well for so long.

We love you, wde1.

[root@wde1 ~]# uptime
    18:53:20 up 569 days, 6:12, 1 user, load average: 2.70, 1.85, 1.75

R.I.P.

Thanks, God, I managed to transfer my latest data from the old server to the new server before it was trashed. The auto migration to Ryzen servers was taken from backup data day before. I have two clients almost lost their students' exam results that were conducted during the migration period (around 6 hour gaps).

The new server is really powerful. The pages load much faster now.

Indeed, the backup generation took a while, nothing we can do there, tried to speed it up as much as we could!

One thing you could try (for LA maybe) is to do your initial sync via backup/restore, but use multiple rsync's for diffs. As often as necessary, but one targeted rsync right before the cutover, immediately followed by one after the original server is quiesced (db/servers shut down is easiest). The preceding rsyncs will do the heavy lifting, and the quick one after services are offline will ensure a consistent database and user data copy with anything that changed in the last minutes/hours.

In my former life I did over a thousand such migrations, testing and moving enterprise systems from physical to virtual.

I too agree that the notice should have been larger, it wasn't sufficient, but we took more than 24 hours to finish the migration, and could re-migrate any accounts if needed, but surely agree with you.

@Zerpy said:
    Or do you mean the 3 emails about migrations that was scheduled for Sunday but never actually happened.. 3 times, and without then sending a 4th email saying: "We give up, and will inform you 1-2 weeks in advance before we actually perform the migration"?

Agreed, it should have been sent before we actually started the migration, this was a failure on my part, my apologies, Zerpy.

edited February 2021

@Zerpy said:

@vyas11 said:

You can't use the "baby" excuse for months and months on end. There's nothing that justifies notifying customers 1 day before migration.

Dear clients,
    We've initiated the migration to Ryzen servers, this features NVMe, Ryzen 3900X and 128 GB DDR4.
    We're currently migrating the shared accounts, the next accounts should be reseller accounts.

It wasn't one day before, it was during the migration people got notified ๐Ÿ˜‚ even worse.

Agreed, but it took 24h+, we could have re-migrated any account if you asked us to.

It'll be different next time, it's not being an excuse or not, sometimes it's just tough to have time to run such large migration. That being said, I do agree with you, my apologies.

@Zerpy said: At least no one hosts anything important, because the advance notice, was so short, that anyone who may have to update anything externally, could barely make it

I guess you get what you pay for.

I trust our services are worth it, and I can tell you that it's been really good for its price. :)

Plenty of people host important stuff in our servers.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2021

@MikePT said:

@Zerpy said:

@vyas11 said:

Dear clients,

Agreed, but it took 24h+, we could have re-migrated any account if you asked us to.

It'll be different next time, it's not being an excuse or not, sometimes it's just tough to have time to run such large migration. That being said, I do agree with you, my apologies.

I think most of us here know you well and love you Mike <3 Thing is, as soon as you offer something like Reseller Plans someone's client sites could be affected. Having had my fair share of fun with difficult clients in the past, I can see why an issue like the migration with such a short notice may cause problems. Now, one could argue that ppl should just not host smth mission critical on a lifetime plan but then again that'd be unfair because you are offering a great service and performance (even more with the upgrade). Plus, no matter the price, clients should be allowed to expect to use their plans personally, but also commercially (e.g. reseller plans).
    At the end of the day just give notice week earlier and schedule the migration ahead of time. You'll also be able to sleep better, mate :)

Cheers!

• I never got an email. Does that mean the system Iโ€™m on is not being upgraded?

Are the IPs transferring also?

• @doughnet said:
    I never got an email. Does that mean the system Iโ€™m on is not being upgraded?

Are the IPs transferring also?

Its in the Germany (DE) location, not US. The IPs changed.