Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fail Over Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fail Over Server

I have 2 nearly identical VPSes running some services.

I want a situation in which if VPS1 goes down traffic will go to VPS2 until VPS1 comes back up.
I do not need traffic to go to VPS2 unless VPS1 goes down.

Is there an easy guide to do this?

Comments

• Load balancer

• Completely depends on the service and data.

Not enough information provided.

• @TimboJones said:
    Completely depends on the service and data.

Linux Nginx Apache Mysql Php on both VPS several websites on each
    domain.com
    vps1.domain.com
    vps2.domain.com
    DNS currently on both VPS but I am thinking I might need a 3rd party to handle the DNS.

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited February 2021

@trycatchthis said:

@TimboJones said:
    Completely depends on the service and data.

Linux Nginx Apache Mysql Php on both VPS several websites on each
    domain.com
    vps1.domain.com
    vps2.domain.com
    DNS currently on both VPS but I am thinking I might need a 3rd party to handle the DNS.

What and how much changes in mysql?

If your service isn't critical to < 10 minutes downtime, forget all this. You'll pay more and take up more time learning with added complexity, etc.

Nice to have != need to have.

• @TimboJones said:

If I need to I will setup the master master replication in mysql, but at this point I could handle a bit of data inconsistency if the server is only down for a few mins to a day or so.

@TimboJones said:
    If your service isn't critical to < 10 minutes downtime, forget all this. You'll pay more and take up more time learning with added complexity, etc.

I've got the motivation to learn.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @trycatchthis said:

@TimboJones said:

If I need to I will setup the master master replication in mysql, but at this point I could handle a bit of data inconsistency if the server is only down for a few mins to a day or so.

So how much time before you declare server 1 offline? How do you switch back to server1 after it comes back up? How do you resolve the inconsistency afterwards?

Sounds like you should setup mysql replication and just have both online all the time.

Thanked by 1Tony40
  • @TimboJones said:

@trycatchthis said:

@TimboJones said:

So how much time before you declare server 1 offline? How do you switch back to server1 after it comes back up? How do you resolve the inconsistency afterwards?

Sounds like you should setup mysql replication and just have both online all the time.

I had read about MySQL live synchronization.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/wb-database-synchronization.html

• @TimboJones said:

Hasn't something like this been done before and is like 20+ year old FOSS technology at this point. I just need to know where to look and all the details I will setup myself.