Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

spamcop.net not renewed, marking mails as SPAM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

spamcop.net not renewed, marking mails as SPAM

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
edited January 2021 in General

Many recipients are marking the emails as SPAM, the reason is that bl.spamcop.net is not responding (domain expired).

554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [x.x.x.x] blocked using bl.spamcop.net

Disable spamcop in your WHM/cPanel server:

sed -i 's/^acl_spamcop_rbl=.*/acl_spamcop_rbl=0/' /etc/exim.conf.localopts; /scripts/buildeximconf; /scripts/mailscannerupdate; /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/restartsrv_exim;
Thanked by 2lentro Dimtar

Comments

• Oh damn...

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Buy the domain when it releases. Then you can influence a portion of the global email system.
    After that, write a blog post like this:
    https://thehackerblog.com/the-io-error-taking-control-of-all-io-domains-with-a-targeted-registration/index.html

Thanked by 1lentro
  • YKMYKM Member

That's going to hurt a lot of peoples email.

• I see, that’s affected hetrixtools.

• YKMYKM Member

Looks like its back

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • i see a parking page for expired domains. quite embarassing for cisco...

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2021

Renewed, DNS / TTL propagation...

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited January 2021

Omg they eventually renewed it , correct nameserver now getting served.

Updated Date: 2021-01-31T16:04:06.00Z�����
    Name Server: NS1-109.AKAM.NET
    Name Server: NS1-11.AKAM.NET
    Name Server: NS1-73.AKAM.NET
    Name Server: NS1-90.AKAM.NET
    Name Server: NS1-93.AKAM.NET
    Name Server: USE1.AKAM.NET

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well that was fun.

• @jar said:
    Well that was fun.

If I remember correctly you use Spamcop at Mxroute.

@Razza said:

@jar said:
    Well that was fun.

If I remember correctly you use Spamcop at Mxroute.

Yup. This was the impact: https://freesocial.co/@mxroute/105651204938533809

Thanked by 1chip
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

We had the same problem on some of our servers.

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

RFO: spamcop's filters trapped the renewal notice so they didn't get the message it expired.

If a postmortem interests you on the impact of a mail service running spamcop, these numbers are good enough: https://status.mxroute.com/incident/49

• So I guess all mail systems using spamcop have a single point of failure - a 10 buck domain name

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • UnbelievableUnbelievable Member
    edited February 2021

@jar so with about 1/2 the emails coming in on lucy labelled spam by spamcop during that period from 1 sender - did your system detect them prior to spamcop failure as one of the heaviest inbounders and in need of investigation? Just curious (I'm a moron when it comes to email servers)

Thanked by 1jar
    edited February 2021

@Unbelievable said: @jar so with about 1/2 the emails coming in on lucy labelled spam by spamcop during that period from 1 sender - did your system detect them prior to spamcop failure as one of the heaviest inbounders and in need of investigation? Just curious (I'm a moron when it comes to email servers)

Truthfully I don't have any monitors on inbound behavior short of uptime. Usually don't have to, because any problem there tends to manifest in another way (and those all have creative monitoring). I'm in the middle right now between this being evidence that I need monitoring on that front or that I've effectively done away with the only thing that would have justified it. Probably leaning toward the latter, pending further evidence of a need.

• My client is using Postie plugin in his WP site. He sends email from Gmail to specific [email protected] and Postie fetches it and publishes. But yesterday afternoon whole thing didn't work and I opened ticket with @seriesn
    After sometime the mails got delivered. I thought it was some issue with NB. But today got update on the ticket about this post. Shall I sue them @deank

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Of course, you should sue them.

It's the only way to show the world that you are indeed serious.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Intelpentium0 said:
    My client is using Postie plugin in his WP site. He sends email from Gmail to specific [email protected] and Postie fetches it and publishes. But yesterday afternoon whole thing didn't work and I opened ticket with @seriesn
    After sometime the mails got delivered. I thought it was some issue with NB. But today got update on the ticket about this post. Shall I sue them @deank

You should ask your provider to do push-ups. It's faster than suing.
    The going rate is one push-up per hour of downtime.

On the other hand, you should #DeleteWordPress and use Blogger instead. Blogger has an email-to-post service with fewer moving parts and thus more stable.