Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Newbie on vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Newbie on vps

Hey guys i am currently hosting my site with directadmin on a shared server
I intended to go with buyvm vps with directadmin
Does it require me to be knowledgable with script a lot or can the server be run immediately with directadmin ?

I know i should ask this with buyvm but their sales support is off work right now and maybe someone here could answer

Comments

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2021

@darkkenso said:
    Does it require me to be knowledgable with script a lot or can the server be run immediately with directadmin ?

I know i should ask this with buyvm but their sales support is off work right now and maybe someone here could answer

If you know how to google, you should be fine and I am not joking.

First thing you should search however is how to secure a linux server :)

All the very best bud :)

• My suggest just rent vps 1 month for learn everything in linux until you expert

• Managing your own server is much more complex, even with a control panel. Also, those guys at DirectAdmin have a different philosophy: that a control panel is meant to be a time-saver, not a replacement for knowledge. They think you shouldn't be self-hosting if running the occasional bash script is a scary thing.

I think this is why @seriesn mentioned using Google. Anything you need to do, you can figure out yourself.

But I am hoping DirectAdmin gets better with this too. One of my ideas is that they have "Wizards"... things like security/firewall, mail deliverability, etc. So when you first login to the control panel, it helps you secure your server with some basic questions.. sets up the firewall, asks if you want to run SSH on some non-standard port, etc. I think that would be pretty cool!

Thanked by 3XiNiX seriesn plumberg
  • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

To be honest, I have found DA to be way better than cPanel when it comes to "getting things wrong".

If you want to learn just have DA installed on a spare machine and try the "scary" stuff before hand, it would boost your confidence and you will learn.

• @darkkenso Oracle cloud gives you 2 free vps. You may want to start there to learn different things about vps before moving your site to one. I'd also encourage you to take a peak at amazon lightsail as it can be useful for beginners. it automatically configures keys rather than passwords (good for security). has an external firewall (good for security) etc etc and they give one month free.

• Thanks for the insight guys. Appreciate it

• @darkkenso said:

Or do what I did and pay @seriesn for a managed vps.... I think I know enough but its nice to have someone do the management for you when its important stuff

Chip

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited January 2021

@DA_Mark said:
    Managing your own server is much more complex, even with a control panel. Also, those guys at DirectAdmin have a different philosophy: that a control panel is meant to be a time-saver, not a replacement for knowledge. They think you shouldn't be self-hosting if running the occasional bash script is a scary thing.

I think this is why @seriesn mentioned using Google. Anything you need to do, you can figure out yourself.

But I am hoping DirectAdmin gets better with this too. One of my ideas is that they have "Wizards"... things like security/firewall, mail deliverability, etc. So when you first login to the control panel, it helps you secure your server with some basic questions.. sets up the firewall, asks if you want to run SSH on some non-standard port, etc. I think that would be pretty cool!

What's with the talking in third person? "They" vs "we"... you're going to confuse more than me.

Hehe, were you thinking you were logged in as another username?

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Its not so easy to setup DA. >:)

• If you have zero experience then I'd recommend getting familiar with Linux in a safe environment (for example, a VirtualBox or Hyper-V virtual machine on your own PC) before hosting anything public-facing. Improperly secured Linux servers are a major source of spam email and other botnet-controlled bad stuff, so you'll definitely want to get familiar with the basics (configuring SSH keys, etc) before managing a public-facing server.

Alternatively, get a managed VPS so someone else manages it for you. IMO it's a skill worth learning, though :)

• If you have the 8GB memory slice or higher, I believe @Francisco offers free management, so they could do it for you.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@lokuzard said:
    If you have the 8GB memory slice or higher, I believe @Francisco offers free management, so they could do it for you.

We do!

Just need to ticket with whatever you need (imports, initial configuration, tuning, etc) and we'll do it without issue or cost.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vedran