Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free Global Network Diagnostic Tools
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free Global Network Diagnostic Tools

BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

Hello!

At bunny.net we just released a collection of free global network diagnostic tools to run latency, DNS, HTTP, traceroute, and other tests from 50+ of our PoPs.

I thought this would be useful for anyone looking to run diagnostics from around the world. They're available at https://tools.bunny.net/ :)

If you have any feedback or tools you think would be a great addition, please let us know. We're very excited to add as much value here as possible.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

💯

• I can't submit Website Check and HTTP Connectivity Check form from my mobile.
    (Chrome, Android)

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@dragon1993 said:
    I can't submit Website Check and HTTP Connectivity Check form from my mobile.
    (Chrome, Android)

Hm, I see. The event is wired just to the enter key. I think we need to add a button as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanked by 2dragon1993 webcraft
  • website test is not working , its just keep loading tried from desktop

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited January 2021

For my site hosted entirely on bunny (Edge Storage + CDN) I get this

DNS Prefetch Missing

The DNS prefetch header is missing for the following hostnames.

fonts.googleapis.com
    fonts.gstatic.com

What exactly does that mean, how can I resolve it?
    Perhaps some kind of explanation section for the various messages could help here, since saying "DNS prefetch header is missing" doesn't mean much to a lot of people I would imagine.

• @dragon1993 said:
    (Chrome, Android)

confirmed. all checks not working on my Android. tried multiple browsers with no luck.

can you add TTFB checks, please? 😊

• Not working.

Enter command do nothing.

• Love this! Really cool!

Just added a button :)

@fazar said:

@dragon1993 said:
    (Chrome, Android)

confirmed. all checks not working on my Android. tried multiple browsers with no luck.

can you add TTFB checks, please? 😊

Will check how we can best do this. Maybe the HTTP test can do a couple of different things. Thanks!

Thanked by 1fazar

@Erisa said:
    For my site hosted entirely on bunny (Edge Storage + CDN) I get this

DNS Prefetch Missing

The DNS prefetch header is missing for the following hostnames.

fonts.googleapis.com
    fonts.gstatic.com

What exactly does that mean, how can I resolve it?
    Perhaps some kind of explanation section for the various messages could help here, since saying "DNS prefetch header is missing" doesn't mean much to a lot of people I would imagine.

Good point. I will make sure that's added. Thanks!

The Website Test is perhaps a bit dated, mainly just for users asking us "is my site using Bunny CDN?", but we're working on improvements there too.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • Website check is useless marketing gimmick. Take example from pingdom or gtmetrix. Provide useful services without incentive to upsell your services.

edited January 2021

@LTniger said:
    Website check is useless marketing gimmick. Take example from pingdom or gtmetrix. Provide useful services without incentive to upsell your services.

As I said, we are updating that one and it was strictly intended for testing integration with our service and intended for people that are already using our products. Might actually remove that one temporarily, since it's indeed quite useless outside of that :)

If you want to test your website itself I would strongly recommend using GTmetrix.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited January 2021

All three tests seem to work well (safari + ios) even detected a few google fonts that other tests (gtmetrix, etc) seem to miss. Could be anamoly, or false positive. Need to look into that.

For speed test server closest to my location detected for download, for upload it went off to Singapore. Close but not closest. Happy to message the test url for checking unless that is by design (i.e optimal need not mean closest location)cheers

• If you are interested in network diagnostics there is also ripe atlas (https://atlas.ripe.net/ https://atlas.ripe.net/measurements/) it let's you do DNS, traceroute, ping, ntp and ssl (no HTTP unfortunately) from thousands of network devices worldwide. It's not only limited to data centers but also home networks and you can filter which devices should do the test.

You need credits to do measurements but if you have a barely used VPS in a location where there are not already many probes you can install the software https://atlas.ripe.net/docs/software-probe/ and get credits.

If you want to try it out without running a probe i can provide you with some credits. Just drop me a message with the email address you used to register at https://access.ripe.net/ and I'll transfer you some.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited January 2021

Thanks but
    Edit: Updated to test Google DNS.

@tomle said:
    Thanks but

Sorry :D

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited January 2021

@BunnySpeed said:

@tomle said:
    Thanks but

Sorry :D

Any plan to fix IPv6? Seems very few of your nodes support it, counted 8 that replied. Sometimes 7. Updated my post above with a test to Google DNS.

• CloudconeCloudcone Member, Patron Provider

Nice tools @BunnySpeed would be nice to have a share url to directly add URL via the link, something like https://tools.bunny.net/http-test?url=https://cloudcone.com :smile:

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • weaselweasel Member
    edited January 2021

These tools are awesome @BunnySpeed thanks for sharing!

One thing that would be pretty cool for the latency test is to have a 'summary' block at the top or bottom of the page. Something like:

PING SUMMARY:
    Avg: 200ms
    Min: 10ms (Los Angeles, CA)
    Max: 4000ms (London, UK)
    STD: 35ms

That way, while looking for different hosting providers I can find the one that has the best connectivity to Bunny!

EDIT:

Taking the average of the entire network doesn't make sense actually, as it'll be skewed towards wherever Bunny has servers. As such, I suggest summary statistics per continent/region. So e.g. I can see that this server is great for America, but sucks for Asia.

• Finally, somebody found how to use WebSockets without polling each time new XHR requests!

Congratulations, however still not using Bunny due to some infected files hosted from time to time on their network.

@alexvolk said:
    Finally, somebody found how to use WebSockets without polling each time new XHR requests!

Congratulations, however still not using Bunny due to some infected files hosted from time to time on their network.

You won't believe the difference in user experience we saw when switching between the two methods :)

Regarding the infected files, can you maybe elaborate a bit? Obviously, any network will at some point serve something it's not supposed to, but we've been removing anything that we were made aware of within minutes unlike certain other companies, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

Thanked by 2kkrajk Clouvider
  • ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

thanks!