Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Home Network

TGTTGT Member
edited January 2021 in Help

Hey Gurus

I'm working on a home network / storage build for a few things around the house.

Current network - Comcast 100M/100M with a /29

Will be utilizing a host server - planning to move a few of my domains off of namecheap to save some money and looking for a few alternatives to cPanel if anyone knows any.

Will also be hosting a storage server for hopefully an alternate solution to paying dropbox a monthly fee. Someone mentioned nexcloud to me so might try doodling with that a bit and some proxmox development stuff.

Ill also be hosting a game server for a few little things. Ill be using basic equipment nothing special. Just trying to get some MRC down before my wife kills me.

So my question is I currently use OVH for most of this stuff atm I plan to move everything from OVH network to save money as well and I have about 30 IP's with them. Is there a way for me to utilize the /29 from comcast as well as utilize my IP's from OVH on my home network legally of course? If so are there any guides to doing this?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• TGTTGT Member

@deank said:
    The end is nigh.

If you mean the end you my already low end server rack at home I do believe so I'm trying to keep it from falling over. Maybe if I can save some spending money from OVH and Namecheap I can get a new 15RU rack but most certainly the way its looking the end is coming.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

Using a VPN back to OVH.
    You would still have to keep service with them though.

• TGTTGT Member
    edited January 2021

@DataIdeas-Josh said:
    Using a VPN back to OVH.
    You would still have to keep service with them though.

At the moment I pay them about $80/month and I also have a VPS. I'm trying to cut it down to at least to the VPS. So if its still possible with the VPS id be good with that just not wanting to pay $80/m. Can use the VPS for the VPN ill checkout a guild for it.

• Buy router + switch (ex mikrotik)

• server with good cpu,ram & disc.

Install proxmox
    Configure vps
    Etc...

My home network still live since 5 year ago with only 1 static ip from ISP (50Mbp/50Mbp). Services running for gitlab,hosting & backup storage

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • Uh, don't you lose all the OVH IP's when you cancel OVH? You don't "own" them, you just had a one-time purchase.

Also, you can't use those IP's at home, you'd only be able to tunnel with them from OVH network, and I don't think there's value for you there.

Lastly, if you're only paying for 1 Dropbox subscription, stick with it. There's trade-offs, maintenance and hassle going to Nextcloud, so it's not worth it unless you're saving multiple sub fees.

If you're paying annual shared storage from a LET provider, you're probably not going to save money and will require much more labour for maintenance and security.

• WiredBladeWiredBlade Member
    edited January 2021

@TGT said:
    Hey Gurus

I'm working on a home network / storage build for a few things around the house.

Current network - Comcast 100M/100M with a /29

Will be utilizing a host server - planning to move a few of my domains off of namecheap to save some money and looking for a few alternatives to cPanel if anyone knows any.

Will also be hosting a storage server for hopefully an alternate solution to paying dropbox a monthly fee. Someone mentioned nexcloud to me so might try doodling with that a bit and some proxmox development stuff.

Ill also be hosting a game server for a few little things. Ill be using basic equipment nothing special. Just trying to get some MRC down before my wife kills me.

So my question is I currently use OVH for most of this stuff atm I plan to move everything from OVH network to save money as well and I have about 30 IP's with them. Is there a way for me to utilize the /29 from comcast as well as utilize my IP's from OVH on my home network legally of course? If so are there any guides to doing this?

Using the 5 usable IPs you can host quite at bit at home using NAT and in some cases it may be more convenient to host it at home than out in the cloud since the data will be closer to you. Use Dynu's free dynamic DNS along with port forwarding in the router, they have tutorials on how to set this up.

Some of the older servers like E5 based Dell servers are quite cheap now and have raid etc in them. That will allow you to keep your data safe. Since it will be at home, you can always back things up occasionally to an external drive or even tape drive and toss it into a corner somewhere. You can access this data from internet when you need it by using a storage server software like FreeNAS or others.