Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regarding vps tracert weird performance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Regarding vps tracert weird performance

ThinVpsThinVps Member
edited January 2021 in General

Hey,

So im tracert'ing new vps from my home (got it from lowend) , and it either has 14 hops 28ish ms, or 23 hops and 58ms. Why the difference? Something fishy going on? It also spiked up to 188ms, which is insane (thats some north america pings :D). Had/still have bunch of vps and dedis from different providers, never seen anything like that.
Crazy part, vps is in same country, within 10-30km, yet on 23 hops it goes outside country to germany, netherlands and back. On 14 hops goes to sweden and back. I got oneprovider in same city, and its 10-12ms and only 7 hops (within country), and always stable. Even my helsinki vps (770km away) from hetzner was like ~23ms.

My netcup 2,5gbit RS is 30ms, nforce ams 1gbit dedi 36ms, hetzner auction dedi FSN06 33ms, these are like 900-1100km, how come vps next door acts like that?

Comments

• So what host is this? If its that stupid kts24.com host then its because of their shitty craptasic DDOS protection / uplink supplier they are using.

To better answer your question you need to actually give us useful information, nothing provided so far give us any way to even guess whats going on.

Such as the host, where you are located, etc.

Cheers!

• ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

Its hosthatch. Im located in Norway. Their server is in oslo, and acts crazy (28ms, 55ish ms most of the times, even seen 188ms), also on 28ms its 14 hops (goes to sweeden and back), on 58ms its 23 hops (goes to germany, and amsterdam and back). All the same tests, just Tracert (via cmd) from home to the server.
    As i said, oneprovider oslo vps is rock stable, ~10-12ms and 7hops. Its literally oslo vs oslo, but different providers and wayyyyyyyyyy different results.
    edit: weird thing is that, i only managed to get 28ms-14 hops 2-3 times. Other 10+ times its 55ms and 23 hops. Like i said, same test, simple tracert server from home.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

It would be good if you could share the trace results.

• Without a traceroute / MTR hard to tell.

Likely though your ISP keeps BGP flapping towards that location and switching routes for some reason.

For some reason those without much knowledge of networks think that routes are static, they are not, they can change at any time and for many reasons.

It is likely some issue on the source or destination network is causing the weird inconsistent routing changes. Additionally, the provider could be appending prefers for people using lots of data to pass over their bulk transit network as opposed to their premium network, which could also effect route. Could also be based on time of day in your region, maybe the more premium route gets overloaded, etc, etc...

There are many possibilities of what is occurring. The best way to resolve it is to contact your host and / or ISP with traceroutes / MTRs and ask them if there is anything they can do to help with the routing issue.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1ThinVps
  • ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

hosthatch oslo vs one provider oslo
    https://ibb.co/grHMMvG

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited January 2021

@ThinVps said:
    hosthatch oslo vs one provider oslo
    https://ibb.co/grHMMvG

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2021

Well, it is one of their locations using m247 and that transit provider is known to oversell their transit and have issues like you are reporting, so really it looks like an upstream network issues at m247. Again, you should report this to Hosthatch, they will be the only ones who can have an impact on that.

However, just to re-enforce something, while Hosthatch providers a quality product, the m247 network often falls short and should be more so considered 'bulk transit' quality and not premium. m247 is known to have these types of weird routing issues because of their lack of premium transit.. so I don't know that I would actually expect anything to change -- even with a ticket... but who knows, maybe they can add / append a route that is better for you if they actually have that much control over their network there.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1ThinVps
  • ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

Well it be a refund if not solved, as i had multiple vps and dedis, never had act up like that from the getgo, especially with such a "performance" consistency. If i wanted server with Mars type of pings, i would have called up elon :D As i said, vps next door acts like if its located in South Europe 2000-3000km away :D

• @ThinVps said:
    Well it be a refund if not solved, as i had multiple vps and dedis, never had act up like that from the getgo, especially with such a "performance" consistency. If i wanted server with Mars type of pings, i would have called up elon :D As i said, vps next door acts like if its located in South Europe 2000-3000km away :D

If you purchased the service for retail, I agree with you. If you purchased this through their Black Friday sale, I think you are getting what you are paying for -- you have to be realistic as well, your sharing access to a server full of small server or storage servers depending what you purchased and if it is the storage server, well then an expectation of 'Bulk Transit' type access is not really outside the realm of acceptability for that use case. If you are paying retail though for the service, then sure, I would put in a ticket and work with them and if not satisfied work to cancel the service. That said, I WOULD NOT expect a refund from them if you purchased any of their special black Friday offers as I am pretty sure they outline there is no refund for those in their offer as well as spell out the expectations for their low end services.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

@TheLinuxBug said:

If you purchased the service for retail, I agree with you. If you purchased this through their Black Friday sale, I think you are getting what you are paying for -- you have to be realistic as well, your sharing access to a server full of small server or storage servers depending what you purchased and if it is the storage server, well then an expectation of 'Bulk Transit' type access is not really outside the realm of acceptability for that use case. If you are paying retail though for the service, then sure, I would put in a ticket and work with them and if not satisfied work to cancel the service. That said, I WOULD NOT expect a refund from them if you purchased any of their special black Friday offers as I am pretty sure they outline there is no refund for those in their offer as well as spell out the expectations for their low end services.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I got 22$ yearly, some promo, been given 3 days ago. I got other cheap stuff vps, and it never performed like that. We will see what customer support says, and how they say it. If its 3rd world type of customer service etc, i just claim back via paypal. If they will be reasonable, ill keep it, 22 bucks its just beer money, but im strong on customer service.

@thedp bruh, i cant stop laughin at the eurotrip... hahahah thanks for a dose of vitamin c :D

• @ThinVps said: I got 22$ yearly, some promo, been given 3 days ago. I got other cheap stuff vps, and it never performed like that. We will see what customer support says, and how they say it. If its 3rd world type of customer service etc, i just claim back via paypal. If they will be reasonable, ill keep it, 22 bucks its just beer money, but im strong on customer service.

I have many services with Hosthatch and they work just fine for what I am paying. I will tell you outright if you do a charge back on them, you're an asshole. They are good people and will work to help you. Additionally, if you read the terms for their special and agreed to no refund then it would be incredibly disingenuous for you to charge back after the fact since your agreed to that.

You paid for a too good to be true deal, so treat it as such... and #DontBeADick

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1ThinVps
  • ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

Yeah it is no refund, and im fine with donations, i do donate to African Water project, so no problem of a donation to Amit and crew for prosperity and IT advancements of 3rd world :D
    p.s. not sure on how you do math, but i do performance way. Im paying 3 bucks a month for oneprovider and get 11ms ping, this hosthatch deal is 1.83bucks/month (not even twice), but performance is 5x worse... :)
    highly appreciate the help and answers :)

• @ThinVps said:

@TheLinuxBug said:

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I got 22$ yearly, some promo, been given 3 days ago. I got other cheap stuff vps, and it never performed like that. We will see what customer support says, and how they say it. If its 3rd world type of customer service etc, i just claim back via paypal. If they will be reasonable, ill keep it, 22 bucks its just beer money, but im strong on customer service.

@thedp bruh, i cant stop laughin at the eurotrip... hahahah thanks for a dose of vitamin c :D

If you chargeback on PayPal, you should be banned from LET.

• @ThinVps said:
    Yeah it is no refund, and im fine with donations, i do donate to African Water project, so no problem of a donation to Amit and crew for prosperity and IT advancements of 3rd world :D
    p.s. not sure on how you do math, but i do performance way. Im paying 3 bucks a month for oneprovider and get 11ms ping, this hosthatch deal is 1.83bucks/month (not even twice), but performance is 5x worse... :)
    highly appreciate the help and answers :)

Pings are not performance, wtf are you getting on with?

• @TimboJones said

Pings are not performance, wtf are you getting on with?

Pings are part of performance, especially for server 10-20 km away, should be max 20ms, and not mid to high 50s, and spikes to high 180s. If thats acceptable to you, you have super low standards. Its 2 dollar vps, but my two other 3 dollar ones performs way better. Also traceroute should not take across the european trip. Also part of performance is customer service (currently customer of with walkers, hetzner and bunch of others), so far 10 hours and no response, i will give 3 days max. Thats plenty of reasons for refund in my world. People do have issues with their customer service, saw posts on lowend. Im not to happy with hetzner performance but at least they are helpful etc, so keeping their server. I will post screenshot of charge back right in your mug, plus flaggin. I could go on bunch of ebonics and put you in your place real quick with prison rules type talk, but you aint ready, aint about that life, and just nerdy keyboard warrior. But ill take high road and let admins handle these personal attacks ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@ThinVps said: I will post screenshot of charge back right in your mug, plus flaggin. I could go on bunch of ebonics and put you in your place real quick with prison rules type talk, but you aint ready, aint about that life, and just nerdy keyboard warrior. But ill take high road and let admins handle these personal attacks

Indeed - stop with the personal attacks, @ThinVps, you ghetto legend, you.

"you aint ready, aint about that life"...LOL...

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

@raindog308 said:

Indeed - stop with the personal attacks, @ThinVps, you ghetto legend, you.

"you aint ready, aint about that life"...LOL...

Thats after i was attacked twice... you expect me to just stay quiet? cmon man. Seems we got 16 year old admins too, with 0 profesionalism. I literally played nice after linuxbug comment, thanked him twice, but then this MF showed up on top. Aint gonna let slide personal attacks. Seems like its allowed here... so we can roll, i dont mind. Dont want a nice way, can do in other way.

@ThinVps said: Thats after i was attacked twice...

Show me where.

Having your technical statements challenged is not a "personal attack".

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

@raindog308 said:

Show me where.

Having your technical statements challenged is not a "personal attack".

Asshole, dick, wtf you gettin with, offering/suggesting a ban, has nothing to due with technical statemets. Technical statements been discussed already and i repeat for the last time...

... since when it comes to internet, servers- ping, routing and customer service (already, no answer for 1 day) is not a part of performance? Especially ping and routing? On purpose pinged madrid, its almost 2400 km away, high 50s, pretty much as same as Hosthatch server next door... hahah cmon this is not even a discussion. This is straight up ridiculous: 1. calling people names is not an attack, 2. high ping, and routing across the globe for the server next door is not a poor performance. I literally bought it so can have vps next door, with low latency. This is straight up unprofessional coming from an "admin", but hey, i guess lowend vps for 1.9 bucks, what should i expect right? Same from admins, its lowend forum, not premiumend, so you get what you pay right? :) Too bad that actually quality forum has to suffer from few bad apples.
    But whatever fellas, I'm done, have a good day. Thank you for answering questions.

@ThinVps said: Asshole, dick, wtf you gettin with, offering/suggesting a ban, has nothing to due with technical statemets.

You're waaaay too thin skinned to use the Internet.

Seriously, you need to get off the Internet.

@TheLinuxBug said: I will tell you outright if you do a charge back on them, you're an asshole.

Did not insult you. Stated if you do something which is widely viewed as morally wrong, you'd be an asshole. @TheLinuxBug was right. If I tell you that if you murder someone, you're a jerk, that is not an insult - it's a future condition.

@TheLinuxBug said: You paid for a too good to be true deal, so treat it as such... and #DontBeADick

Did not insult you. Told you what not to do.

@TimboJones said: wtf are you getting on with?

Did not insult you. WTF is not an insult, it's a way of saying "I find your statement bizarre".

@TimboJones said: If you chargeback on PayPal, you should be banned from LET.

Did not insult you. Stated (again!) if you do something morally wrong, then you should be banned.

Now, let's talk about insults:

@ThinVps said: Seems we got 16 year old admins too, with 0 profesionalism.

You insulted me and every other admin.

@ThinVps said: then this MF

You insulted @TheLinuxBug and his mother.

@ThinVps said: Aint gonna let slide personal attacks. Seems like its allowed here... so we can roll,

@ThinVps said: I will post screenshot of charge back right in your mug, plus flaggin. I could go on bunch of ebonics and put you in your place real quick with prison rules type talk, but you aint ready, aint about that life, and just nerdy keyboard warrior.

Kid, you're about as hardcore as a Teletubby. You better hope you never share a cell with @SirFoxy or you'll be rented out to his friends for commissary.

• Thank you for the input, highly appreciate it :)

• @raindog308 said:

@ThinVps said: Asshole, dick, wtf you gettin with, offering/suggesting a ban, has nothing to due with technical statemets.

@TheLinuxBug said: I will tell you outright if you do a charge back on them, you're an asshole.

Did not insult you. Stated if you do something which is widely viewed as morally wrong, you'd be an asshole. @TheLinuxBug was right. If I tell you that if you murder someone, you're a jerk, that is not an insult - it's a future condition.

@TheLinuxBug said: You paid for a too good to be true deal, so treat it as such... and #DontBeADick

Did not insult you. Told you what not to do.

@TimboJones said: wtf are you getting on with?

Did not insult you. WTF is not an insult, it's a way of saying "I find your statement bizarre".

@TimboJones said: If you chargeback on PayPal, you should be banned from LET.

Did not insult you. Stated (again!) if you do something morally wrong, then you should be banned.

Now, let's talk about insults:

@ThinVps said: Seems we got 16 year old admins too, with 0 profesionalism.

You insulted me and every other admin.

@ThinVps said: then this MF

You insulted @TheLinuxBug and his mother.

@ThinVps said: Aint gonna let slide personal attacks. Seems like its allowed here... so we can roll,

@ThinVps said: I will post screenshot of charge back right in your mug, plus flaggin. I could go on bunch of ebonics and put you in your place real quick with prison rules type talk, but you aint ready, aint about that life, and just nerdy keyboard warrior.

Kid, you're about as hardcore as a Teletubby. You better hope you never share a cell with @SirFoxy or you'll be rented out to his friends for commissary.

he's trying too hard this is dead ass a hobbyist IT forum lmao

• @raindog308 said:

Suggest a new handle for him, @ThinSkinVPS.

@ThinVps

When you're pinging something, you're mostly testing the path between the two endpoints, not the endpoints themselves.

I may have no other cars in my driveway and a Ferrari, but if I drive through busy Vancouver traffic, that does not reflect on the performance of the Ferrari or my house. The car is driving over public roads being shared and whether the house is 2500 or 25000 square feet is not relevant. Accidents happen and traffic needs rerouting, completely out of control of the VPS.

You lack the technical knowledge to know what to look and care about so you're butthurt. Posting mtr traces would have been useful and people could help determine a route misconfiguration.

Trust me, I haven't started on you with the personal attacks.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TheLinuxBug said: Well, it is one of their locations using m247 and that transit provider is known to oversell their transit and have issues like you are reporting, so really it looks like an upstream network issues at m247.

The networks we are on are not oversold in any way. At least not for us. And the routing error you are seeing here can happen anywhere (at Softlayer too) - doesn't make them an oversold network.

I've said this several times before: We guarantee the best network experience compared to any other provider in the same area. If you see our performance being worse vs a competitor in the region, all it takes to fix that is a ticket with the proper information (MTRs and IPs involved).

It takes a ticket with the proper traceroutes (and not writing like you are screaming) to get network issues like this resolved, in any of our locations. We've seen the same thing in Amsterdam (where it's Nforce, one of the best providers in the Netherlands, or in Los Angeles, where it is Psychz - also one of the most reputable network providers in LA).

Sorry to sound rude, but @OP, please write in a ticket, with traceroutes, explaining the problem (preferably not in the same language you have used here) and we'll get this fixed for you asap. But if you are more interested in drama (which it clearly seems like from this thread), please continue - you are not convincing anyone we would want as a customer anyway.

• ThinVpsThinVps Member
    edited January 2021

@hosthatch said:
    Sorry to sound rude, but @OP, please write in a ticket, with traceroutes, explaining the problem (preferably not in the same language you have used here) and we'll get this fixed for you asap. But if you are more interested in drama (which it clearly seems like from this thread), please continue - you are not convincing anyone we would want as a customer anyway.

Ticket with traceroute, explanation, a bit of friendly sarcasm (smiley faces involved, and no exclamation points etc) and constructive criticism was submitted 3 days ago- still no answer. During this time, i have been testing along once or twice a day, seems it settled down in high 40ms ping, and still 21-23 hops. Have not seen the spikes to high 180ms anymore (seen once or twice), but also have not seen high 20s and 14 hops either (only seen once or twice).

As far as ASAP response- its usually considered within few hours, up to 8 hours or so. 3 day response is a maximum threshold that can be considered modern day customer support (worked in IT department of State Government owned institution, so a bit familiar with customer support), and i am being way to lax on 3 day measure :) By the way, saying this in a nice manner, and would add- hosthatch customer support was responding decently (every 8 hours or so) while doing approval to get my money, but once approved and money received (i pay instantly)... customer support disappeared, kind of a red flag.

Lastly, the mention that hosthatch can guarantee performance of other providers in the area, is far fetched, as i written before- oneprovider server in the same city is 10-13ms and 7 hops. I would say 10-13ms and 7 hops oneprovider, is blowing hosthatch out of the water with so far mediocre performance of ~49ms and 21-23 hops. Just stating facts in a nice manner :) As i said straight away when this thread started, im all into friendly discussion in solving this, and continue being as a customer, but so far no response to the ticket and of course issue has not been solved, therefore i would gladly take my money back if you please so- it would make both parties happy, hosthatch not wanting me as a customer, and me personally not wanting being a part of hosthatch. Though, as i said, i gladly keep the service if routing and latency will be solved. If not, lets part in a nice manner, give me my money back, which will be parked in other providers which im already using, from budget ones such as hetzner, oneprovider, to premiums such as nforce- they are more than happy with a customer like me.

Attached is windows mtr that ran for solid 5 minutes or so (will follow up with this in a ticket):
    https://ibb.co/mCyxH42

Thank you :)

edit: i re-read my initial post and 2nd comment, and they all fine, drama free, some sprinkles of sarcasm and trying to find out what's happening. The comments after that, is really not my problem, some folks decided to go into internet sparing match, which in general I'm not interested, so address drama to them please :) Lets focus on the issue of performance, the rest is noise, and is just derailing the thread. Thanks for understanding and looking forward to solve issue in friendly matter :)