Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What distro do you use on your VPS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What distro do you use on your VPS?

Comments

• distros in 2021 yeah right.

use HermitCore, a unikernel in rust.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Once CloudLinux releases their open source fork of CentOS 8, I will probably exclusively use that.

• CentOS and Debian

• Debian stable

• Debian is solid and stable

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Debian stable whenever possible.

Francisco

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @letrocks said:
    I use ArchLinux where ever I can install a custom ISO. I also have Ubuntu and Debian servers.
    I like ArchLinux because of rolling release and not have to worry about finding and backport some repos to install the latest package on the Debian or Ubuntu. e.g Wireguard, new MySQL, redis etc...
    I haven't faced any issue with ArchLinux for my 6+ servers. Only benefit is that it is running the latest version of packages. pacman FTW. :)

Arch Linux, yes

Thanked by 1bark
  • Debian stable

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:
    TempleOS

watched a documentary on that dude super smart but insane

Yes indeed. Plus a tragic life story it seems. (But still, writing a working OS is a major undertaking and deserves recognition). May he rest in peace.

Thanked by 1SirFoxy
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jsg said:

@SirFoxy said:

@jsg said:
    TempleOS

watched a documentary on that dude super smart but insane

Yes indeed. Plus a tragic life story it seems. (But still, writing a working OS is a major undertaking and deserves recognition). May he rest in peace.

It ain't an OS if it doesn't support 64-bit network addresses!

@yoursunny said:

A gentleman doesn't carry disagreements over to other places.

• cpanel in Debian

• Debian 10, FreeBSD 12, CentOS 8/7 (but no fresh installs anymore)
    text terminal panel ;)

• Debian, Centos, Ubuntu

• xethostxethost Member, Patron Provider

Ubuntu, CentOS, and Red Hat

• @stevewatson301 said:

@letrocks said:
    I use ArchLinux where ever I can install a custom ISO. I also have Ubuntu and Debian servers.
    I like ArchLinux because of rolling release and not have to worry about finding and backport some repos to install the latest package on the Debian or Ubuntu. e.g Wireguard, new MySQL, redis etc...
    I haven't faced any issue with ArchLinux for my 6+ servers. Only benefit is that it is running the latest version of packages. pacman FTW. :)

I used to use Arch on desktop and packages being updated frequently is great on desktop. But, doesn't this tend to break any existing setup you might have, like web apps/tools/scripts that you have on your server?

I use docker with rever proxy using traefik fronted by cloudflare. With docker all my data and configuration are in a single directory. That gives me really good operational flexibility or bringing up and backing up the entire server. At that point, all I need is ArchLinux with docker, SSH, and wireguard, ufw, and restic. I have tried zen, LTS, and current kernel and I don't see any problem with stability. My entire infrastructure is few ymls + mounted directories.
    I backup to B2 using restic and I am all golden.

For operational simplicity and having the latest version of tools helps a great deal to try things out.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@jsg said:

@yoursunny said:

A gentleman doesn't carry disagreements over to other places.

Sane person doesn't propose 64-bit addressing ignoring two decades of IETF standards.

• sheratansheratan Member
    edited January 2021

Always use centos and debian for production.

Ubuntu is great if you want to learn or test something new, "exotic" or bleeding edge.

• dominamedominame Member
    edited January 2021

@raindog308 said: What do you mean by "imaging software"?

If you mean GIMP...last time I looked at it a couple years ago, it was way behind Photoshop.

Take a look at darktable, for one. Raw Therapee is another. There are others but IMO they're at the leading edge with lots of current development going on.

The GIMP is not for photographers without using another package as a plugin (Raw Therapee works fine for this, I'm told). It doesn't handle RAW natively. It's fine for post-processing though.

• Debian

• Switched from CentOS to Debian for serious use a good few years ago, turned out a wise move. Debian gives [me] a good balance between stability and intuitive configuration.

For fun, sideload Alpine onto any small memory ~128MB OVZ VPS's I've collected over the years, or FreeBSD on small KVM's, they serve well as proxies or intermediate relays. The combination of busybox/sh and no Gnu utils also makes a good testbed for script portability.

Can only give one vote and FreeBSD isn't an option, so it goes to Alpine, looks like it needs it more than Debian :)

• bshbsh Member

Used to be with Debian for a long time. Now, FreeBSD as installable and Debian as FreeBSD not applicable.

• I have 6 VPS with Ubuntu 20.04 on, I used to be a CentOS Fanboy until RedHat did what most big companies do... Screw up nice things.

Thanked by 1themew
  • I use Ubuntu LTS versions only

20+ years mainly a debian guy it's getting easier and easier for friends and colleagues to pull me towards FreeBSD.
    Main reasons:

• no 1000 eyes, in fact not even 10 and that on highly critical software
    • too much "religious" fighting, e.g. copyleft wars, licenses zoo
    • lgbtqxyz nonsense, ridiculously politicized settings and coc
    • plenty of lies, e.g. the "linux is the people's OS" lie. Wake up! linux is virtually owned by corporations
    • systemd
    • the bazaar model (which might be great for some fields but not for tech)

and finally the CentOS disaster. Bang, suddenly a distro much loved by many is gone.

Plus ridiculously old packages under the disguise of "stability!" and ever new releases with bugs and quirks.

Besides systemd-free debian derivates I still have a place in my heart for Alpine, but I'm increasingly thinking about giving FreeBSD a try on the desktop, especially since their hypervisor seems to have become reasonably adult.

• alpine linux :)

• Ubuntu mostly, sometimes Debian.

• I use whatever seems to be the best fit for the task at hand. Usually end up with Debian or CentOS, sometimes Ubuntu.
    If it's up to me personally, I go with FreeBSD whenever possible.

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS