Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So your data is not 100% secure on the server...I think - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So your data is not 100% secure on the server...I think

2»

Comments

• fkjfkj Member

@jsg said:

@fkj said:

@jsg said: According to their own rules they would have needed to (a) inform client of any posts/content they consider unacceptable, and (b) give client 30 days to cure/remedy the situation. They did NOT.

According to the court filing from AWS, they DID give Parler at least 3 months to fix the problem. See https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/amazon-says-violent-posts-forced-it-to-drop-parler-from-its-web-hosting-service.html

Parler clearly demonstrated that that is a big fat lie. Anybody surprised? In fact Parler can prove that they even planned - with the provable knowledge of Amazon - on using Amazon's Ai to optimize filtering in addition to their already quite powerful moderation capabilities.

Listen to your words, they used 3 months to PLAN TO USE Amazon AI, instead of 3 months to implement a system with Amazon AI. To me, that's just stalling - planing something for 3 months but do nothing.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@fkj said:
    Listen to your words, they used 3 months to PLAN TO USE Amazon AI, instead of 3 months to implement a system with Amazon AI. To me, that's just stalling - planing something for 3 months but do nothing.

To really judge that we'd need to have been in the CEO's office and in the board meeting room. Maybe you are right, maybe not.

My impression is that Parler did have a competent and adequate moderation solution that did work fine. Until twitter banned so massively and brutally that millions of new users flocked to Parler which was not prepared for that kind of storm. But still, they managed to take care of over 95% of all complaints coming via Amazon using their own existing moderation mechanism and in very short time.
    The discussions/negotiations with Amazon about using their AI was in parallel to a) make Amazon happy ("see, we do take the problem seriously") and b) be prepared for - quite suddenly - have tens of millions of users.

From what I see the real reason for Amazon killing Parler was twitter, one of their biggest clients, pushing them to get rid of a competitor before that competitor could grow large enough to be more than a small nuisance. And Amazon complied, in part also because of a large "anti right-wingers" wave.
    And btw, Parler killing was obviously a coordinated operation.

For those of you who think it's a good thing to forcefully keep the "evil right wing" silent: No, it is not, among other reasons because the price you pay is taking a dump on your constitution and because - and history teached us that lesson often enough - that one can not silence the "evil opposition"; what one actually achieves is to drive them into the underground where they become far more dangerous.

My personal impression during these months is that we are seeing America having dumped what made it successful and powerful, your constitution and your almost limitless urge for freedom. Once upon a time America was the undisputed world-power. Not anymore. It has become a sinking ship, a Titanic. Sad story, very sad story, also because many, just like on the Titanic, still are dancing in joy.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2021

This site is now in DDoS-Guard. Here is this hoster who likes to collect questionable sites.