Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers, would you host Parler? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers, would you host Parler?

13»

Comments

• @jsg said:

@kaleaware said:

@jsg said:
    the "left", "liberal" Gestapo.

Gestapo? Love how you pretend that you're not a Trump supporter and then throw around such characterisations.

It's not my choice. Those media and tech corporations are well known - and in part even saying themselves to be "left" and "liberal". And their actions are Gestapo-like.

And no, again, I'm not a Trump supporter.My only reason to vote for that man whom I experienced again and again as incompetent, promising a lot but delivering little, would be the fact that he is the only available alternative to the woke "liberal" crowd. It's none of your business but if I were an American and she was on the vote sheet I'd vote for Tulsi Gabbard, not for Trump.

Do you know what the Gestapo was and did, or do you enjoy using terms you have little knowledge about?

• @asgard said:

Well you would not be able to believe anything on Wikipedia and I am Australian. Plenty of confirmed facts they label as conspiracy theories and plenty of intelligent people they label as conspiracy theorists. Just get me a server provider that does not use amazon and I will be happy.

Confirmed facts such as? And which intelligent people are those? Please provide examples -- don't leave us to guess as to what you mean.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • @VirMach said:
    If we had the influence, sure.

However, it's looking like it would be a full-on legal battle with any datacenter we utilize, carriers, even credit card processors going after us for standing up for free speech so it would not really be a possibility. Ultimately though, as long as they're abiding by our terms of service and it does sound like they would be doing that, and as long as they deal with DMCA takedown requests and cooperate with law enforcement where necessary, I do not see a problem with their website itself.

Some people mention the size/attacks being a problem, but at the Amazon AWS prices they were paying... anything's possible there.

@Jio said: I see nothing wrong with private companies refusing to do business with another private company.

I would usually agree with you here. However, some of these private companies are essentially running something that's at this point an irreplaceable part of our lives. They're also monopolies. If the barriers of entry were reduced, and sites such as Parler could more realistically find another host within the level of notice AWS provided them that actually had the power to host them for at least years instead of days before the situation continues to escalate... then sure.

I'm okay with them being kicked off the App stores, albeit I still think that's a bad move by Google and Apple. But they're essentially being kicked off the clearnet at this point. Outside of maybe finding some host in Russia, maybe and if it cools down enough to where they won't continue to lose essential infrastructure partners there too. Which it looks like, they definitely will.

You say you would host them if they abided by your "terms of service", and then later argue that large "private companies" (which you imply are monopolies, which they are, to an extent) shouldn't be banning platforms that refused to abide by terms of service. Remember, Parler received a warning from Apple -- which they failed to heed -- before they were removed.

Parler had to do just one thing -- abide by the ToS of Amazon, Google & Apple -- and it could run its platform. It failed, so whose problem is that? I see you have no issue hosting inflammatory content calling for harming and killing people, criminal content, essentially, but many hosts and service providers do. And its not like you can't use the app if its not on official stores, at least in Google's case.

• @Nyr said:
    I will go with the Cambridge Dictionary:

harassment
    noun

behaviour that annoys or upsets someone

Today I learned that my my three-year-old daughter is a habitual harasser because she ocassionally refuses to nap at the times she should.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 2021

@tehdartherer said:
    You should start reading about what the Gestapo actually did and stop talking such non-sense.

Now that you've understood go away from the mirror and actually do it.

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    It's not just the hosting providers who won't work with them. Supposedly it's also credit card companies, payment processors, email providers, DNS providers etc.

I'm not so sure about that, after all trump has tens of millions of Americans behind himself, plus many more millions of non-Americans like myself who are not about the person/president Trump or this or that political party but about a reasonably fair, open, and usable internet, plus even millions of democrat voters (for the same reasons).

I think many walked into a very old trap, the trap of assuming that noise level somehow equates to proportions. In reality though a massive majority of democrat biden voters are NOT liking burning city centers, looting, violence and are NOT supportive of antifa and BLM and they are also NOT supportive of extremely biased and unilateral "news", "courts", etc. But that massive majority of democrat voting Americans aren't making a lot of noise and so they are hardly seen while the super-noisy activists are all over the news.

In short, 90+% of Americans, no matter their party affiliation, want a working, fair and just system and internet - and not the perverse and extreme country a relatively small - but very, very noisy - woke minority wants.

Plus, "the internet" is not - anyway not any more - a largely US controlled thing. There are quite a few very, very rich, very powerful international carriers who wouldn't miss the chance to get immense attention (basically a massive free advertisement wave) and a very solid entry or very much solidified market position by serving those tens of millions of disgruntled Americans.

And, of course the internet monopolies just confirmed by their own actions that 230 must be changed or fall and that the country urgently needs new regulations/laws.

TL;DR Whose country shall it be then, Americans - yours, the peoples -or- that of a few large corporations and a small extreme and extremely noisy and violent crowd?

Thanked by 1asgard
  • @farsighter said:
    Update:
    Parler moves to a right-wing web-hosting firm after suing Amazon for antitrust violations for shutting down their app and their CEO said he would re-build the site from scratch

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9134897/Parler-CEO-says-doing-Facebook-Twitter-remove-violent-content.html

How do you define "right-wing"?

Does that make Amazon, Google, and Apple "left-wing"?

Leaked Amazon internal memo reveals new software to track unions

Google Hires Firm Known for Anti-Union Efforts

There is so much media bias that when a person or firm is labelled as right-wing you know it means nothing in particular. Apparently a commitment to freedom of speech and makes a person right-wing.

Owners of a companies may have political preferences, but how does that make the companies themselves a political biased entity. Do companies vote?

Thanked by 1asgard

... and there we go (related to what I just wrote above) ...

Newsweek said:
    Your T1 WiFi, an internet service provider based in northwestern Idaho, will implement firewalls that restrict access to Facebook and Twitter at its customers' requests.
    ... The customers requested that Facebook and Twitter become inaccessible to their respective households, citing concerns about "censorship," (emphasis mine)

• JioJio Member

@jsg said: ... The customers requested that Facebook and Twitter become inaccessible to their respective households, citing concerns about "censorship," (emphasis mine)

This is a rural nowhere "ISP" with maybe 3 digit amount of customers. The email they send out (circulating on social media) is borderline illiterate and written much worse than a non-English speaking foreigner.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • edited January 2021

@Jio said:

@jsg said: ... The customers requested that Facebook and Twitter become inaccessible to their respective households, citing concerns about "censorship," (emphasis mine)

This is a rural nowhere "ISP" with maybe 3 digit amount of customers. The email they send out (circulating on social media) is borderline illiterate and written much worse than a non-English speaking foreigner.

So about as literate as your average Parler user/domestic terrorist.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • JioJio Member

@LosPollosHermanos said: So about as literate as your average Parler user/domestic terrorist.

They even have the random capitalisation down

Thanked by 1asgard
    edited January 2021

@Jio said:

Maybe, I don't know. BUT: that doesn't change the fact that we begin to see people being badly pi__ed off.

@LosPollosHermanos said:
    So about as literate as your average Parler user/domestic terrorist.

• where in the constitution is it written that only literate citizens can have and speak their opinion? And who defines literacy?
    • oh I see, for people like you "Parler user" == "domestic terrorist". Based on? You and your woke crowd feel that way I guess.
    • and again, all you have on offer is arrogance and insulting people whom you do not agree with.

But if it ever came to pass that they had the power and you were at the receiving end and considered a "domestic terrorist" would you still stick to your views on what's acceptable and what not? I won't hold my breath ...

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • _MS__MS_ Member
    edited January 2021

@Jio said:

weather. LOL.
    I mean, that's also highlighted :D.

• In my opinion its pretty hypocritical to ban Trump and thousands of other accounts for lies or fakenews or whatever reason they came up with while there are people out there using their service to threaten to kill every jewish person or celebrating the death of an french teacher who got beheaded on streets of Paris because he showed a caricature at school.

But I also understand if a hosting company decides not to host a site like Parler which is probably going to be it's own bubble of outraged patriots and can cause damage to the host (bad publicity, reviews, DDoS etc.).

Thanked by 1asgard
  • @Jio said:

@LosPollosHermanos said: So about as literate as your average Parler user/domestic terrorist.

"We do not believe in censorship so we will show this by blocking websites for you"

They seem to think best way to fight censorship is with censorship?

Thanked by 2TimboJones bulbasaur
  • MS said:

Let's just stop being People, and go back to being LowEnders.

And seriously how long would that last? Won't be long and you will need a license to run a VPS or work in IT and it will be revoked anytime you step outside the group think.
    I am Australian and looking in from outside, everyone who does not agree with crazy Nancy is extreme right wing. Time to make a stand or accept what is coming. No free speech, no small business, no right of representation, just draconian creeping laws you will either accept or pay the price for not accepting. Good luck with being a LowEnder and living in some alternate bliss

• asgardasgard Member
    edited January 2021

BTW as an Australian, I would be proud to be an American Trumper. He has been a great present, for the first time in years Australia is not providing support for oil wars. Our gov is now trying to bring back manufacturing. We are no longer fighting ISIS. Our fuel price has dropped along with many things. Please grow some and do not be shamed into mob thinking.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This thread has moved more into politics than about lowend hosting.

Thanked by 2chihcherng maverickp
This discussion has been closed.