Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veeam Backup Free edition up to 10 servers. Is it good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Veeam Backup Free edition up to 10 servers. Is it good?

Hi,
Is anyone using or used the free backup solution “Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition”?

https://www.veeam.com/virtual-machine-backup-solution-free.html

It seems interesting. From my initial read and understanding, the GUI/Dashboard/APP must be installed on a storage server using Windows OS and then it allows to make backups up to 10 VPS and/or dedicated servers (in my case linux servers) to our own storage.

Backups are made on an initial phase to the local storage server disk or nfs for example, and then the backup can be upload to a S3 external storage.

Seems similar to Acronis backup.

Any experiences or opinions? Thanks

Comments

• Yes, it is very good. Used it in vmware servers. Acronis is a joke in comparison.

• Veeam 10x0 acronis. Acronis restore is very bad

• Veeam is indeed very good and has an agent for Linux hosts. It also supports bare metal restores, which I've tested successfully.

However, as you noted, you'll need to have the Windows-based management console and server available on the same network, because the agents need to be able to communicate with it. According to Veeam, this isn't supposed to happen over the public Internet, but rather on a private network.

But, like many people, I have hosts to back up all over the world, so I'd prefer to have my backup server and clients communicate over the Internet. In theory, this can be accomplished by setting up a VPN between your Windows Veeam server and remote hosts, but I've not seen an elegant way to do this.

I think this is the biggest drawback to Veeam, or else I would probably implement this as my primary backup solution.

Has anyone successfully used Veeam to manage the backups of remote Linux-based hosts?

• i use Veeam CE on clients with a few of vm's and it works so far so good

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 2021

I can't take any software seriously that installs a full fat always-running MS SQL server on client PCs. (Referring to the free Veeam Agent software.) Over a few days uptime it is always the top process by CPU time by quite some margin. Have they never heard of SQLite?

• so that I install a linux ver on one VPS and do that on another VPS, and I'll be able to backup one VPS data to another immediately?

• @aRNoLD said:
    so that I install a linux ver on one VPS and do that on another VPS, and I'll be able to backup one VPS data to another immediately?

That's not quite how it works.

You have two choices:

1. Simple: With the Linux Agent alone, you can back up one system to an NFS or CIFS mount that can be anywhere -- no need for Veeam to be installed on the receiving end.
    2. More complex: You install the agent software on the systems you want to back up, and use a Windows-based application called Backup & Recovery to schedule/manage the backups and set up backup repositories (destinations). This is a very powerful solution with lots of features.