Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to hire a dev to re-code LEB Theme
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to hire a dev to re-code LEB Theme

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Hi Everyone,

The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

For example in order to keep the current theme working properly in WP 5.6 I have to use jQuery Migrate Helper. Obviously that is not a long term solution. Other things tend to be broken too, like Social Sharing plugins, etc.

Anyone interesting, or know someone who might be, in coding up a new version of the LEB theme?

This would be a paid gig of course and I am open to negotiations.

Comments

• Hi,

I am interested. We can discuss timelines and your ideas via DM.

Thanks,
    Ramesh

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Wow, quite a saga - thanks for sharing.

• @raindog308 said:

Wow, quite a saga - thanks for sharing.

Thoroughly good read. That man has the patience of a thousand saints. I would have taken an additional payment to him and started hiring a PI at that point!

• @jbiloh said: The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

You can start with a nice performant base theme too like GeneratePress :)

Thanked by 3_MS_ sepei nyamenk
  • _MS__MS_ Member
    edited January 2021

@eva2000 said:

@jbiloh said: The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

I was about to suggest this. But those who buy themes (from ThemeForest, etc.) may not even consider GeneratePress as a theme because how bare-bones it looks. It's definitely a great base theme, no doubt about that. The default layout of the theme comes with a total of less than 10 KB of minified CSS and JS.

• @eva2000 said:

@jbiloh said: The current version of the LowEndBox theme is many years old. Each time there is a WP update it takes time to fix bugs (mostly because the theme does not fully conform with current standards).

What is your opinion on static site generators like hugo vs wordpress with full html cache? I know its a bit of topic but your opinion would be interesting for me especially because we are both performance optimists.

• team_traitorteam_traitor Member
    edited January 2021

wow. I love to take this. I'm kinda busy right now though. :-) got active project.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Thanks for everyone who has reached out to me. I'm considering the options now.

• i recomended @FAT32 <3

Thanked by 1Ticaga

@Ganonk said:
    i recomended @FAT32 <3

Great suggestion! We are talking about it :).

Thanked by 2Ganonk Erisa
  • @sepei said:

@eva2000 said:

What is your opinion on static site generators like hugo vs wordpress with full html cache? I know its a bit of topic but your opinion would be interesting for me especially because we are both performance optimists.

Use what you're comfortable with. For me Wordpress properly optimised for read-only blogs can be bloody fast :)

@MS said: GeneratePress as a theme because how bare-bones it looks. It's definitely a great base theme, no doubt about that. The default layout of the theme comes with a total of less than 10 KB of minified CSS and JS.

Exactly, why I like GeneratePress. I think any competent web designer could mark up GeneratePress theme - hopefully with page speed metrics in mind while they do it :)

Thanked by 2_MS_ chocolateshirt
  • you girls want to keep building websites on wordpress

poor babies dont know what a programming language is

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@Jona4s said:
    you girls want to keep building websites on wordpress

Time to break out object pascal baby.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Jona4s said:
    you girls want to keep building websites on wordpress

I ditched WordPress in 2007, and switched to handwriting HTML.
    Since 2017 I write Markdown for content; all the Hexo / Jekyll themes were written from scratch.

By not using WordPress, I only need 1GB or smaller VPS to run websites.

Stay away from WordPress and use JAM stack

Thanked by 3angelius Ticaga randomq
  • @yoursunny said:

This.

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:
    Time to break out object pascal baby.

Great for desktop apps but much less so for the web (too little and too poor lib support). Also too hard for web "developers"...

But then anything is better than PHP aka vulnerability generator.

@yoursunny said:

@angelius said:
    This.

Most of my newer websites are on Netlify, GitHub Pages, etc. Never pay for shared hosting again (if you are non commercial).
    GitHub doesn't allow for-profit sites, but Netlify paid plan and the upcoming Cloudflare Pages both allow commercial use.

Common excuses of not using JAM stack include:

• We want a WYSIWYG editor - you can build a backend that integrates such an editor and pushes the content to git repository.
    • We hate GitHub / Netlify / Cloudflare - you can build the sites in Jenkins.
    • We want comments - you can insert Disqus, or build something similar.

I've been using JAM stack since 2017 on a college website. Back then the term JAM stack didn't exist.

• I made a CMS that creates HTML pages upon save.
    • There's a WYSIWYG editor (TinyMCE). It's HTML not Markdown. Server side ASP.Net has some filtering.
    • Content is stored in a folder of XML files. Every week I use FTP to download them to my laptop.
    • I made comments script using AJAX, with ASP.Net and MySQL backend.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080122040307/http://www.xinqing.sjtu.edu.cn/

"Jamstack is the new standard architecture for the web. "

LOL...how can they even say that with a straight face...

@yoursunny said: Common excuses of not using JAM stack include:

There's all sorts of ways to make web sites.

The anti-Wordpress comments miss the major points:

1. It's not the core functionality, it's all the integrations. Sure, any knowledgeable dev can figure out the Facebook, Twitter, etc. APIs and write code to share posts with them (as one example of an integration), but with Wordpress it's a single module that is well-tested by hundreds of thousands of users. What's the cost to gen all that by hand? Or to debug a module that is only used by 10 people?

2. When you want to add functionality, it's trivial in Wordpress. For example, earlier this year we added public previews so that people could see (and proofread) their offers before they went live. Again, yes, you could write custom code to do that...or you could use a module that's been tested by hundreds of thousands of people.

3. Not sure why everyone's on about the WYSIWYG module...you can do WP in plain old HTML, Markdown, WYSIWYG, whatever you want.

4. WAFs understand Wordpress better than they'll understand something you write from scratch.

5. There's an advantage to being one of million WP sites in terms of finding answers as well.

Long story short, it's ease of use vs. perfection. I wouldn't want to try to do Reddit using Wordpress...on the other hand, I wouldn't want to build Dave's Barber Shop's brochureware web site on Wordpress when WIX would likely do just fine.

You have to match the right tool for the right job instead of being doctrinaire.

And I forgot a big one:

1. There is zero payback on migrating 3,500+ posts from one framework to another.
  • @yoursunny said: Most of my newer websites are on Netlify, GitHub Pages, etc. Never pay for shared hosting again (if you are non commercial). GitHub doesn't allow for-profit sites, but Netlify paid plan and the upcoming Cloudflare Pages both allow commercial use.

Please, please, kindly stop recommending these trash services (except Github Pages).

Have you ever dealt with them? I mean they don't have their own servers and on the first fake abuse message or just bandwidth overusage, they'll just shutdown you and they don't give a shit about your free plan until you pay.

@yoursunny said: I've been using JAM stack since 2017 on a college website. Back then the term JAM stack didn't exist.

You're wrong. Honestly, you're mixing up JAMstack, creating HTML and serving it in 2017? Lol, you could do the same thing in 1989 with a simple bash script.

Anyways, does your HTML interacts with the API and has dynamic content?

I think you don't understand what is JAMstack and why it's being used.... have a read before trying to lie here.

• @alexvolk said:

@yoursunny said: I've been using JAM stack since 2017 on a college website. Back then the term JAM stack didn't exist.

I think you don't understand what is JAMstack and why it's being used.... have a read before trying to lie here.

Jeez we’re simply talking about differences in opinion on how to build a website, not a damn religious crusade. Let’s pipe it down a notch lol.

@alexvolk said:

@yoursunny said: Most of my newer websites are on Netlify, GitHub Pages, etc. Never pay for shared hosting again (if you are non commercial). GitHub doesn't allow for-profit sites, but Netlify paid plan and the upcoming Cloudflare Pages both allow commercial use.

Please, please, kindly stop recommending these trash services (except Github Pages).

Have you ever dealt with them? I mean they don't have their own servers and on the first fake abuse message or just bandwidth overusage, they'll just shutdown you and they don't give a shit about your free plan until you pay.

Yes, I have websites on these services:

Netlify free plan has 100GB bandwidth per month.

You're wrong. Honestly, you're mixing up JAMstack, creating HTML and serving it in 2017? Lol, you could do the same thing in 1989 with a simple bash script.

Correction: I've been using JAM stack since 2007, before the term even exists.
    It's too late to edit the original comment…
    The Internet Archive link is from 2008.

Anyways, does your HTML interacts with the API and has dynamic content?

Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

@raindog308 said:
    "Jamstack is the new standard architecture for the web. "

Long story short, it's ease of use vs. perfection.

Truth, and I pick perfection.

1. There is zero payback on migrating 3,500+ posts from one framework to another.

Old pages get converted to static HTML (wget recursive, in the worst case) and never changed again.

• @yoursunny said: Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

Are you talking about Ajax's request that fetches comments? Just to confirm.

@yoursunny said: Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

Does the interaction go on the client-side only? Right?

• Having an experience working with both Wordpress & JAMstack sites for a while. I would like to share what I feel.

To compare WordPress & JAMstack is not an apples to apples comparison. Wordpress on one hand is a platform while JAMstack is a collection of tools. It is weird to compare the two. There is no Versus.

If you are a Pro developer it depends on your requirements and you evaluate the needs and outcomes but not everyone is a developer so there's that.

While JAMstack is great for achieving perfection, WordPress is a great platform for almost anyone (beginner or even someone with moderate or pro skills) to start a blog / website and have it up and running with just a few clicks. In my opinion many usecases require an easy to manage / use platform and WordPress.com or even self hosted version getting popular provides that which is a blessing for users.

@alexvolk said:

@yoursunny said: Yes, my page interacts with comments API powered by ASP.Net and MySQL.

Are you talking about Ajax's request that fetches comments? Just to confirm.

Does the interaction go on the client-side only? Right?

Yes, I have AJAX aka XmlHttpRequest. The comments API is a separate app on the same server.

• @raindog308 said: You have to match the right tool for the right job instead of being doctrinaire.

And I forgot a big one:

There is zero payback on migrating 3,500+ posts from one framework to another.

On the other hand, there are lovely tools that allow you to use your WordPress (and other CMS) data in a JAMStack application. See Gridsome: https://gridsome.org/

It's dead simple to work with. Non-technical users can easily write content in WordPress, and it's published to a fast, extensible SPA. Best of both worlds :)