Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Additional Storage for MXRoute? or Something more?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Additional Storage for MXRoute? or Something more?

I have been using MxRoute for couple of days for my company. Since we are a service oriented company, we receive so many emails regularly.

So far MxRoute is performing extremely good. But with the emails the storage will be filled up within 5-6 months.

I couldn't find MxRoute larger storage plans like 100-200GB. I need more storage on MxRoute or I need to look for another provider.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Probably self hosted mailcow would be the most affordable. You can still relay outbound messages through mxroute for deliverability.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@rafathossain said: Any suggestions?

Did you reach out to them? I'm quite sure you'd be able to figure something out with @jar.

• @brueggus said:

@rafathossain said: Any suggestions?

Did you reach out to them? I'm quite sure you'd be able to figure something out with @jar.

Emailed them but received an auto-reply :'(

• chat.mxroute.com

• @Brend4n said: You can still relay outbound messages through mxroute for deliverability.

How to do that?

• You should talk to @jar maybe he will provide a solution

• @tolovall said:

@Brend4n said: You can still relay outbound messages through mxroute for deliverability.

How to do that?

Just create a dummy mailbox account and use that as SMTP credentials. MXroute let's any account send from any account@domain. Just make sure that the domain email routing is set to "remote" such that if emails for whatever reason are routed to mxroute instead of mailcow, it gets forwarded still.

*PS This is on cPanel since i'm on an old server, but I think directadmin servers should have similar settings.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Brend4n said: *PS This is on cPanel since i'm on an old server, but I think directadmin servers should have similar settings

DA has a similar setup, although you'd need to setup the relay in the exim settings.

Mailcow has an option in the admin area to add relays - either on a per domain basis or system wide.

• Have you tried sending @jar a message? Maybe he can work something for you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2021

The way larger accounts work at MXroute:

If the usage is due to the combined size of multiple domains, I want you to order multiple packages and spread out the usage. If it's due to one domain it can't be spread out, and that brings us to this logic:

If it's a presales inquiry needing larger space up front, we can't provide it. If it's a long time customer growing organically over time, we can provide some (often at little or no cost depending on the situation). There's a cap on what we can provide and to even be able to provide that, we have to say no when it isn't the second scenario mentioned above.

We deploy standalone shared servers that use the pricing model of shared web hosting. Low cost, oversold disk space within proven safe parameters (sell to 50% utilization, halt selling and leave remainder for usage and needs of outliers). If one user starts to consume too large of a portion of that server, the pricing model starts to break down. Lowering capacity of a single server so dramatically could require that client to pay as much as $5000/year, for example. This is because one physical server is expected to generate $15k+ revenue per year (not profit, revenue). We just don't let that happen, we decline business that breaks the model.

The model will be updated as new developments allow it of course :)

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2021

@jar said:
    We deploy standalone shared servers that use the pricing model of shared web hosting. Low cost, oversold disk space within proven safe parameters (sell to 50% utilization, halt selling and leave remainder for usage and needs of outliers).

The dirty secret is out. You just admitted to overselling.
    On the other hand, GSuite for Education and Dropbox paid plans are probably overselling too.

It doesn't affect me though. I only use outbound SMTP from GitHub Actions.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @rafathossain said: I couldn't find MxRoute larger storage plans like 100-200GB. I need more storage on MxRoute or I need to look for another provider.

Or learn how to delete mail: not everything needs to be stored in Maildir

Thanked by 3jar skorous TimboJones

@yoursunny said:

@jar said:
    We deploy standalone shared servers that use the pricing model of shared web hosting. Low cost, oversold disk space within proven safe parameters (sell to 50% utilization, halt selling and leave remainder for usage and needs of outliers).

The dirty secret is out. You just admitted to overselling.
    On the other hand, GSuite for Education and Dropbox paid plans are probably overselling too.

It doesn't affect me though. I only use outbound SMTP from GitHub Actions.

Devalued as they it be these days, I still say honesty pays off 🤣

• @Brend4n said: MXroute let's any account send from any account@domain.

Isn't this a security vulnerability? Can it be disabled?

• @Chronic said:

@Brend4n said: MXroute let's any account send from any account@domain.

Isn't this a security vulnerability? Can it be disabled?

I believe this behavior is required in order for aliases to work properly, as that's done on email client side. You can see the sending account in the email header; however, it's not really apparent to the recipient.

This is also one of the main reasons I host my inbound on mailcow w/ mxroute for outbound as I feel it gives me more granular control/sense of security.

edited January 2021

@Chronic said: Isn't this a security vulnerability? Can it be disabled?

Arguable that it's a security vulnerability but not entirely unfair, it's not like spoofing a From header ensures that you receive the reply. More like exploitable for malicious intent. But that's just like almost every shared hosting server out there and why we should all be training recipients to not click shady links, there are exploitable email systems in many more places than people realize, and even major email providers regularly delivering spoofed emails to inboxes because you can't get most people to adopt any reasonable standards. Look at all of the people using MailChannels that can pass SPF for each other without From header checks while recipient servers don't add penalty for not signing DKIM, for example. I could go on and on about how the email industry is inherently insecure, but that won't solve it all today. We'll get there, and MXroute will improve on it from it's side as hiring/development allows. With continued growth I'd like to see MXroute actually begin defining standards, all in good time.

But what the rest of those millions of servers using the same exim config don't have are me and my scripts, so exploit it if you dare. Scripting + pushover allows me to watch a lot of things passively, at every hour of every day. The goal is that one person should be able to identify problematic behavior from hundreds of thousands of customers by creative use of automation that exposes red flags, ensuring that hiring never offsets the overhead and the pricing can continue to be competitive as it scales. And in the last two months, those monitoring systems have become increasingly complex and capable, and continue to grow :)

It cannot be disabled, no. A lot of customers are using it for a relay and turning that off would either be global or require new front-end developments that I've not yet hired for (but hopefully will in 2021). I'm not a front-end dev, I love back-end.

Thanked by 3benj0x user123 Ataurbd
  • @jar said:
    I love back-end.

Quoted for posteriority.

• @jar honest question: why are you still using cPanel/DirectAdmin?

I saw that you're using zonemta so basically a step of having own system, isn't it?

Thanked by 1jar

@alexvolk said:
    @jar honest question: why are you still using cPanel/DirectAdmin?

I saw that you're using zonemta so basically a step of having own system, isn't it?

Truthfully my lack of front end development skill. I'm basically outsourcing that part until I can hire a developer. I really do think this is the year I can hire one.

Thanked by 1alexvolk
    edited January 2021

@jar said:
    Scripting + pushover allows me to watch a lot of things passively, at every hour of every day. The goal is that one person should be able to identify problematic behavior from hundreds of thousands of customers by creative use of automation that exposes red flags, ensuring that hiring never offsets the overhead and the pricing can continue to be competitive as it scales. And in the last two months, those monitoring systems have become increasingly complex and capable, and continue to grow :)

We all know how it works:

// https://www.linkedin.com/in/j%C3%ACng-y%C3%A1ng-152745142/
    import { hotdogClassifier as dickClassifier } from "seefood";

const dicks = [];

server.on("send", () => {
      for (const att of msg.attachments) {
        if (dickClassifier.match(att)) {
          dicks.push(att);
        }
      }

if (msg.from.endsWith(".arkansas.cn")) {
        msg.reply(dicks.shift());
      }
    });

Thanked by 3lentro jar benj0x
  • Is there an option in MXroute to take a back up of all mail and restore ?

When I run out of space I would use outlook to archive all mail and keep it in nextcloud or something..

@PandoGulf said:
    Is there an option in MXroute to take a back up of all mail and restore ?

When I run out of space I would use outlook to archive all mail and keep it in nextcloud or something..

Not specifically but there are some applications out there for backing up IMAP.

• @angstrom said:

@rafathossain said: I couldn't find MxRoute larger storage plans like 100-200GB. I need more storage on MxRoute or I need to look for another provider.

Or learn how to delete mail: not everything needs to be stored in Maildir

Outlook really needs to automatically prompt users on Jan 31 each year to archive the previous year. One month is usually enough time for recent conversations and archiving by year makes a lot of sense for average office worker. Fucking 20GB+ mail files cause daily backups to take much longer.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited January 2021

@jar said: Arguable that it's a security vulnerability

There is nothing arguable about it. Imagine running a company where every intern has the ability to impersonate the CEO via email? In some industries a single email could cause a lot of damage. I know that's probably not the audience here on LET, but it's something that should not be possible.

I don't know... I'm not trying to bash on you here, and I'm not super familiar with the intricacies of email or how other providers handle this. I do know that my current provider handles this appropriately and requires that aliases are added to an account explicitly by the domain administrator, otherwise they can't be used for sending.

So is this how it works with every cPanel/DirectAdmin email setup?

@Chronic said:
    So is this how it works with every cPanel/DirectAdmin email setup?

Yes.

@Chronic said:

@jar said: Arguable that it's a security vulnerability

There is nothing arguable about it. Imagine running a company where every intern has the ability to impersonate the CEO via email? In some industries a single email could cause a lot of damage. I know that's probably not the audience here on LET, but it's something that should not be possible.

It's too easy to impersonate others email address, with or without MXroute.

The CEO should publish her PKI/GPG public key. Only emails carrying a valid signature can be proven to have originated from the CEO.

Thanked by 1jar
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited January 2021

I wonder if you're a company and you receive so much emails why not use google mail or exchange online?

Just being curious.

edited January 2021

@yoursunny said: It's too easy to impersonate others email address, with or without MXroute.

Correct, and that's the point I was getting at. MXroute isn't going to be the answer to the vulnerabilities that exist in email as a whole today. I recognize that some larger providers that are also software vendors have built their own solutions, but I can't benefit from those today either. The solutions in front of me in the short term immediately alienate users for no functional gain at this particular point in time.

I'd like to be in such a position, but I'd like a lot of things, and I won't get them all today. Much like that damn PS5.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @jar said: I won't get them all today.

Well, you know ... the end of the month would be fine I imagine. ;-)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said: It cannot be disabled, no. A lot of customers are using it for a relay

I do, please never disable it, it’s awesome and I love you.

Thanked by 1jar