Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are people moving away from HK as a hosting destination (for political reasons)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are people moving away from HK as a hosting destination (for political reasons)?

elos42elos42 Member
edited December 2020 in General

I have an existing server in HK used to serve Asia region (website).

Should I consider moving it out?

I like HK as a kind of dead center location for APAC. SG is too far from East Asia, and JP's too far from South Asia.

Korea's routing seems all over the place. I'm considering TW and SG right now [I already have another app out of SG btw].

HK getting too hot?
  1. Should one relook at HK as a hosting destination?40 votes
    1. Yes
      52.50%
    2. No
      47.50%

Comments

• Got attracted by the word "HK".

Well - if your content isn't "negative" by China standard, you will be very safe :)

• Well, it's the sort of content that is not available in mainland China. In other words, it wouldn't pass the approval of authorities there.

• "Not available" not necessarily equals "hostile". If it is not politically not in their favour, you would be fine.

• Hmm.. I don't think they would be thrilled about some of the content. But 90% is fine. What I'm trying to say is -- a small fraction of the content is what one can interpret as negative towards the dragon. It's only a small percentage.. perhaps 2% or so. 8% is perhaps neutral, and the remaining 90% has nothing to do with them.

Anyway, it looks like I need to look for another place.

• In my humble opinion, unless your users are as "famous" as Joshua Wong, Agnes Chow, JImmy Lai, you would not have problems.

• HK is still great. One just has to obey the laws of country they use.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2020

They want to keep hong kong same as before for the business.. They just want to annex the area and make sure the citzens follow same rules as in mainland (and are exposed to same surveillance).

In terms of hosting or business, nothing has changed and nothing will likely ever change. The stuff you have hosted there before should still be just fine. Just be mindful that they likely spy your traffic and connections eventually, so you probly don't want anything critical hosted there unless its targeted towards mainland china users. Otherwise choose Singapore or Japan for nearby countries.

Korea is likely even worse for hosting in terms of freedom of speech due to censorship.

• In my humble opinion, unless your users are as "famous" as Joshua Wong, Agnes Chow, JImmy Lai, you would not have problems. +1

• @stefeman said:
    They want to keep hong kong same as before for the business..

No, this is pretty much not the case...

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2020

Give it few more years. HK will be no-go zone soon.

Personally, I am staying away from HK hosting wise.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • We had colo for a cabinet, and we will move all our stuff out by mid next year except one node, just for testing stuff. There is always a chance the government may "spy" on content, and maybe they wont, I just feel it is better to move elsewhere (Singapore for now)

• I wonder if AWS and Google Cloud too will move out. I'm sure there is a lot of sensitive data flowing in and out of those servers and networks.

• A lot of my friends are leaving. Nothing has really changed for me and my wife is a local girl, so I'm not going anywhere. I love HK, I don't think I ever want to be anywhere else.

It's sad to see the Mainland gestapo taking control, but it was to be expected. China can't be trusted, everyone knows that. Unfortunately the protests of 2018 gave them the excuse they needed to kick start their bigger plan. Starting with a stupid security law that HK never needed.

As already said, if your data is not anti China you'll be fine, but if you are even 1%, time to move on. China have zero tolerance.

Thanked by 1elos42
  • @sandanista said:
    A lot of my friends are leaving. Nothing has really changed for me and my wife is a local girl, so I'm not going anywhere. I love HK, I don't think I ever want to be anywhere else.

It's sad to see the Mainland gestapo taking control, but it was to be expected. China can't be trusted, everyone knows that. Unfortunately the protests of 2018 gave them the excuse they needed to kick start their bigger plan. Starting with a stupid security law that HK never needed.

As already said, if your data is not anti China you'll be fine, but if you are even 1%, time to move on. China have zero tolerance.

:D 2019 instead of 2018?

• sandanistasandanista Member
    edited December 2020

@swat4 said:

@sandanista said:
    A lot of my friends are leaving. Nothing has really changed for me and my wife is a local girl, so I'm not going anywhere. I love HK, I don't think I ever want to be anywhere else.

:D 2019 instead of 2018?

lol, I can't get any of my dates right at the moment. I thought I was still in 2019. Yep, 2019 of course. :D

• chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
    edited December 2020

If you have doubts about Hong Kong's future, probably you should move out. Why do you stay there if you don't trust the government? You will ask yourself the same question repeatedly.

By the way, this month Taiwan just shut down a TV news channel that did not always follow the government's preference. This might help you decide your next hosting location.

• Theoretically, people still have the right to vote in China. They can change things, if they wish.

• @default said:
    Theoretically, people still have the right to vote in China. They can change things, if they wish.

People always have the chance and ability to make changes. Question is, do they want to.