Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do providers use idle capacity cryptomining?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do providers use idle capacity cryptomining?

Suppose you have invested in a server farm or a rack or two, and you're waiting for business to arrive -- or there's always that headroom that you keep in the form of buffer capacity; do providers use this spare capacity to mine bitcoin or any other crypto currency?
Just wondering.

Comments

• Heard the electricity bill for mining would be very prohibitive... but I am no expert so I can't confirm if it is really the case

• @swat4 said:
    Heard the electricity bill for mining would be very prohibitive... but I am no expert so I can't confirm if it is really the case

What about resellers then who don’t have to care about electricity bill

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

I did that awhile for Folding@Home.
    I pay for a bulk of power soo makes no difference if the servers are full tilt or not. Besides putting strain on the hardware.

• apart from a huge electricity bill, doesn't mine a cryptocurrency will degrade the hardware lifespan?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Basically pointless in 2020 unless you're mining some dodgy shitcoin, or have a warehouse full of miners and free electricity.

Thanked by 1elos42
  • MarcoooMarcooo Member, Host Rep

I think its cheaper to run the server idle then pay for electricial bill