Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux UDP traceroute versus Windows TCP traceroute
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux UDP traceroute versus Windows TCP traceroute

I'm learning Linux and just installed it on my system. I realize that UDP traceroute on Linux is SO MUCH FASTER than TCP traceroute. Why is this? Anyone know the true differences?

Comments

• Windows tracert has a waiting time (at least 1000 milliseconds per packet, PTR Record query at least 3000 milliseconds)

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2020

Windows traceroute uses ICMP, not TCP.

Windows is slower because it only sends one packet at a time, waits for a response before sending another, and has a delay between hops. On the other hand, the Linux version sends out a whole heap at once with various TTLs, so it's effectively tracing multiple hops simultaneously. The parallelisation is the main reason for the fast performance of the Linux version.

The Linux one used to be slow like the Windows one too, but at some point in the mid 2000s it was rewritten to make it faster :)

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint saibal
  • VitalyVitaly Member, Host Rep

SO MUCH FASTER

which linux and which windows version?
    windows user OS or, winserver kernel ? ;)