Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it normal for cloud server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it normal for cloud server

Hi,

I'm never really using any cloud server on the market...

and with recent offer from Google and AWS,signed up and got the promo credit...
for AWS I'm using it only for my Glacier since EC2 is too much to compare with promo credit received(micro instance about $18 a month)...

so,now I'm using Google Compute Engine with the promo $1000....launching micro instance for almost two months now,left idle...weirdly enough for me when seeing the charge/usage...my actual disk usage is less than 1GB,or about 700MB default install Debian 7...but shown in billing is about 5GB and being charged for it...

df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs           10G  734M  8.8G   8% /
/dev/root        10G  734M  8.8G   8% /
none            296M     0  296M   0% /dev
tmpfs            60M  112K   60M   1% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           119M     0  119M   0% /run/shm
Nov 1 - Nov 30  
Google Compute Storage Pd Capacity: 5.68 GB-month (Project:xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

I'm sorry if it's just me not knowing much about how cloud being charged...really appreciate if anyone can get me to better understand...

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Do you have any swap ? How big ?

• Nope....i created the instance,update ssh key(metadata),update os, then leave it idle....

# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           592        511         80          0        134        285
    -/+ buffers/cache:         92        500
    Swap:            0          0          0

• To me it seems your instance has a 10GB disk. So i don't know why you were charged for only 5GB.

I dont know how their cloud works, but maybe it has thin provisioning and only counts the actual used space ?

• @rds100 I believe it's calculated for used storage.....

• @Shamli they can't know what you have INSIDE the instance and it's hard to know how much you are really using, unless it's OpenVZ. But Mao is right, it could be thin provisioning and you are really using 5.6GB on their storage now.

• @Maounique at first,I also think like that..but the actual used space is only about 700MB....not 5GB....

edited November 2013

If you had in the past a larger usage, it will show as used space in case of thin provisioning, even if you deleted the extra data, and the swap partition if present is counted too.
    I think I know from where the confusion comes, many clouds count the actual disk IOPS and they might say disk usage is counted separately, while in fact that is not space usage, it is number of IOPS in a time unit.

• When you write to the disk, use the stupid dd speed test, etc. this actually allocates space on the thin-provisioned volume. When you delete the file after that, the space on the volume is not freed, because it has been written to and cannot be just discarded.

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited November 2013

@rds100 is AWS also like this..?or usage really calculated on the ACTUAL usage...

and,nope..I have not done any test on the server....

• @Shamli i don't know really, i expect that usage would be calculated by the allocated size. The fact that you are billed for less than 10GB seems strange to me.

Thanked by 1Shamli
  • maybe I should delete this instance and create a new one,and see how it goes....

That would be a good idea make no swap file and dont do any operation on it.
    I am also curious, they charge per "provisioned" space whatever that might be...

Thanked by 1Shamli
  • This makes perfect sense if you've been billed by Amazon before. They show your "average" usage for the month, and since we're a little more than half way through November, then it shows just over half your storage allocation.

Additionally, Amazon does in fact bill based on allocated storage and not used storage. So by the end of the month, it will bill you for the whole 10GB.

• ShamliShamli Member
    edited November 2013

thanks @petris , that should give some hints to me,but now it's about Google Compute Engine....

so,now i've deleted and create a new instance then:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get install fail2ban
    reboot

let's see next month...thanks everyone...=)

update:

# df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs           10G  892M  8.6G  10% /
    /dev/root        10G  892M  8.6G  10% /
    none            296M     0  296M   0% /dev
    tmpfs            60M  116K   60M   1% /run
    tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs           119M     0  119M   0% /run/shm

# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:           592         90        502          0          5         25