Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ebay Cheap Hosting Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ebay Cheap Hosting Provider

Hello.
I found out that web hosting/reseller web hosting is being sold on ebay at cheap prices.
However, most of them are questionable, and there seems to be hosting with unlimited storage and cPanel for as little as $5/year, and unlimited cPanel accounts with WHMCS "lifetime license" (I think it's a cracked license) for as little as $10/year…
There was also a product called "Unlimited Mega Super Alpha Reseller Hosting".

Are they scams?

Comments

• This bot is so dumb, that his nickname includes actual word "bot" :D

• @LTniger said:
    This bot is so dumb, that his nickname includes actual word "bot" :D

I'm not a bot.

• @botquest said:

@LTniger said:

I'm not a bot.

Prove it.

• @default said:

@botquest said:

@LTniger said:

I'm not a bot.

Prove it.

I am not a bot.
    It's true
    I'm posting this from my iPhone.

• It is definitely a scam, but you may get your hosting but there's most certainly a catch to it. The only way to find out is to pay them and find out what the catch is. All you have to do is pay that $5 or $10 and tell us about what you get from the ebay seller and someone will figure out what the catch is.

For example, there's people selling microsoft office, onedrive or google drive space on ebay for dirt cheap. It isn't exactly a scam, but it is definitely illegal because apparently they exploit education licenses to do that.

Thanked by 1botquest
  • XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

some people resell free hosting accounts too ;) .

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • LowendScam that you should never fall into.

• @smallbibi said: For example, there's people selling microsoft office, onedrive or google drive space on ebay for dirt cheap. It isn't exactly a scam, but it is definitely illegal because apparently they exploit education licenses to do that.

These days they're compromised office accounts too. Possibly the same with this.

• They take 1 year money from you. Once the eBay protection period is over, they will cancel the service. Period.

• virtua_cloudvirtua_cloud Member, Patron Provider

@botquest said:

@default said:

@botquest said:

@LTniger said:

I'm not a bot.

Prove it.

I am not a bot.
    It's true
    I'm posting this from my iPhone.

It's exactly what a bot would say ;)

I didn't know buying web hosting on eBay was a thing... 🤦🏻‍♂️

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited December 2020

@default said:

@botquest said:

@LTniger said:

I'm not a bot.

Prove it.

Please circle all the boats in this picture.

@virtua_cloud said:
    I didn't know buying web hosting on eBay was a thing... 🤦🏻‍♂️

I bought web hosting on Taobao, the Chinese equivalent of eBay, around 2009.
    First one, everything is good for the whole year, other than a few hours of downtime.
    Second one, the provider disappeared after two weeks. I opened dispute and got the money back, and their seller account was blocked.
    Third one, I bought GoDaddy gift card and moved my website to USA.
    There's no fourth one.

• Never pay with your (users) data to an ebay "host".

Thanked by 1botquest
  • About 15 years ago I bought hosting on eBay just to test it out.

The first server was overloaded from the beginning and within a couple of months I got an email saying that the server crashed and there were no backups. This has happened to me with non-eBay hosts also.

Another time it was a hosting company that had thousands of sales. The server was also overloaded and constant downtime but the hosting lasted until my payment period was over.

Both times it was for sites that weren't important. They were CPanel reseller hosting accounts. I don't know if I'd trust a one year payment to an eBay host unless they had tons of feedback or it was super cheap.

Thanked by 1botquest
  • Hello Eugene!

• I think most of the cheap hosting on ebay is resellers or scams, so I decided to be careful.
    It seems that 20 i reseller hosting and Contabo servers are often used for cheap hosting. :|

@yoursunny said:
    Please circle all the boats in this picture.