Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a VPN that can be recommended for a monthly payment of less than US$3? It is best to suppor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there a VPN that can be recommended for a monthly payment of less than US$3? It is best to suppor

Is there a VPN that can be recommended for a monthly payment of less than US$3? It is best to support wireguard, I need a VPN to bypass China's GFW

Comments

• nope. all VPN are dead from within china. you need Shadow socks please.

• BertieBertie Member
    edited December 2020

@jpeng said: all VPN are dead from within china. you need Shadow socks please.

Mostly true. GFW is very region-based. Quanzhou especially I know has really borked rulesets that allow a lot of commercial VPNs to continue working, but this isn't remotely true in the rest of China.

That being said, most expats in China use Astrill. Unfortunately Astrill is super uptight about people mentioning them in forums (I really don't care) in hopes that it allows them to keep a low profile to censors, and that's led to all of the reddit subreddits banning mention of Astrill.

Eastern European (i.e. Ukraine) IP blocks that aren't marked as suspicious by the GFW also tend to be much longer lived than Shadowsocks/VPNs on Vultr, Linode, etc.

WireGuard still works well in most of the tier 2/tier 3 cities afaik, but cheap TP-LINK and Huawei routers have a tendency to confuse WireGuard with a UDP Flood originating from a device and handicaps the connection badly as a consequence.

If any actual Chinese want to chime in about where to buy commercial Shadowsocks proxies, I'd appreciate it since my telegram groups seem dead for whatever reason.

• You can buy a VPS from a chinese hosting provider and then connect it with wireguard.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I was last in China in 2017 and I used SSH tunnel, so that I can read Wikipedia and Gmail and Google Scholar.
    I have a Raspberry Pi running mallory, which exposes the SSH tunnel as an HTTP proxy.
    Then, I figure my phones to use this HTTP proxy when I'm in the house network.

VPN requires an enterprise license in China, but SSH tunnel is not VPN.
    SSH tunnel isn't blocked, otherwise all the MJJs would not be able to setup their Virmaches.

From technical point of view, running HTTP proxy over SSH is "TCP over TCP", which messes up congestion control.
    In practice, it works acceptably as long as video isn't involved.

Thanked by 1ferri
  • @Bertie said:

If any actual Chinese want to chime in about where to buy commercial Shadowsocks proxies, I'd appreciate it since my telegram groups seem dead for whatever reason.

Hey buddy. I am now in Hong Kong and this place is still free in terms of Internet browsing. However, a friend of mine in China needed help last month for Shadowsocks. She bought a BF small vps here and is working fine. I guess you would not need to buy it from someone else - can just build one and you use it exclusively.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Bertie
  • edited December 2020

You could write your own VPN or sock5 proxy.

I am personally using distributed proxies, which are running on dozen of low-performance VPSs from Virmach or MJJ Vir-reseller, and then resemble the multi-path TCP traffic to a single exit.

• @Murata_Chink_Best said: MJJ Vir-reseller

lol

Anyway, if I were you, I would setup my own v2ray server

• PIA right now has an offer at that rate and supports Wireguard now, but no idea how they are in china

Also no idea how trustworthy they are since they got bought by some corpo vpn group

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-now/PIA_BF2020E3