Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PaaS' that are runnable on lebs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PaaS' that are runnable on lebs?

Is there anything like Heroku or AppFog which will function as a PaaS to deploy run, for example, nodejs apps? I'm aware of OpenShift and the like, but I believe those require bare-metal to install (as in, you can't use an OpenVZ container).

I guess what I'm looking for is a way to deploy multiple nodejs projects with a dashboard to control them without having to use forever or somehow implement a nodejs daemon.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

well, why OVZ ?
    You can do "bare metal" installs in KVM.

• Usually ovz plans are the cheapest and I really just want an easy way to deploy node apps with some sort of control panel (however basic) to start/stop/restart apps and give some metrics.

• Try docker? It uses LXC, not quite sure whether it can run inside ovz.

I believe openshift uses selinux, so theoretically it should run in ovz or kvm.

• The more I look around, the more I'm starting to see that the infrastructure behind something like OpenShift or Modulus or Nodejitsu or Cloud Foundary is quite complicated. I guess I was under the impression that they had written software that allows users to deploy via git and then somehow neatly collect data and offer control of the program. Nope, these companies have to integrate internal dbs to keep track of deploys, some have messaging queue servers to run jobs, special profiling tools, and the list literally goes on.

What I have come up with in my findings, however, are two additional projects that were kind of what I was looking for (well, ok, mostly). They are awsbox and Cozy.

awsbox is built by Mozilla and is meant to run on an EC2 instance, which, I'm sure you could find some way to hack it onto a debian box.

Cozy is really what struck my fancy. They're a team of mostly French dudes (I think) building this awesome what they call a "personal" Paas. It looks pretty promising; there's a good amount of development, and there appears to be some actual helpful people in the Google group. It also uses CouchDB as a datastore which is completely awesome.

I'm going to give Cozy a shot and I'm super pumped about it. Hopefully, I'll be able to report back here on how well it works!

• bookstack said: selinux

Nope, no OpenVZ then.

• There is also https://github.com/progrium/dokku but it doesn't have a "web interface"

• From what I tried, dokku does not work on ovz but it does work on KVM machines. The same goes for vagrantboxes and virtual box. Only kvm .

The reason is that it requires installation of certain kernel headers, and ovz definitely does not support that.